Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 12:22 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the weekend and I'm sorry I did. It's just plain horrible. The story and characters are both horrible and frustrating. Some of the characters are unclear (having not read the book) and trying to figure them out was distracting from the rest of the horror story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 12:28 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
We watched the movie as well this weekend. I enjoyed it but at the end my husband and I, almost at the same time, said "Well that was depressing."

Edited because I had entirely too many commas. lol

Old 01-16-2024, 02:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The book and the movie are, as often is the case, very different. The book focused on ALL the fault, of EVERYONE. The movie focused on basically one person's fault. It was a very complex situation with many players.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:45 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The book and the movie are, as often is the case, very different. The book focused on ALL the fault, of EVERYONE. The movie focused on basically one person's fault. It was a very complex situation with many players.
Interesting.

I need to read the book. I have an interest in Oklahoma history, and the Native Americans IN Oklahoma, so I was curious to see the movie. But I need to read the book.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:30 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I'm pleased to find the book is better because it's an important, if horrible, part of American history. I felt seeing Scorsese in it was not in good taste, either. I think the topic deserved better and if I ever get retired, I'll read the book, too.

I watch no end of thrillers and detective and police procedurals with murder and dead people, and my husband and sisters-in-law make sure I know they don't watch my kind of movies, but the DH picked this one and about 3/4 of the way through I told him no matter what you might think of the things I watch, this movie is a horror show.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I agree that the book is very different from the movie. The people in Fairfax, whose grandparents lived through (and created this injustice) still don't see it as being unjust to the Native Americans. Those same feelings still exist.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:56 PM

946 posts, read 565,438 times
I was going to see it, but was put off by the punishing run time.

One reviewer said Scorsese could have shaved off an hour and not missed anything.

Old 01-16-2024, 06:58 PM

I don't know about having to shave off an hour but he could have fleshed out the story more.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree that the book is very different from the movie. The people in Fairfax, whose grandparents lived through (and created this injustice) still don't see it as being unjust to the Native Americans. Those same feelings still exist.

Very interesting. I don't think most people are jerks. I think most people justify their actions. Wonder how they justify theirs?

Old 01-16-2024, 09:01 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
I grew up across the river from Osage County. About 30 miles from Fairfax. Anna Brown was living in our town when she was murdered over by Fairfax. When I was young (in the '60s and '70s) there were still people alive who lived the Osage "reign of terror". From what I remember about the old stories that isn't really covered to a great extent in the movie was the the fact that this was just the most famous story... but far from the only "head right" murder or swindle.

In fact Henry Roan was murdered for insurance money because he had already been swindled out of his allotment.

The other thing that I remember from those stories was just how extraordinary the wealth of the Osage was at that time and the fact that the money was (and still is) shared essentially equally among all tribal members. This of course made all of them targets because pretty much all of them were getting a half a million to a million a year in today's money for the period of time that the Burbank field was open. in the 1920s the Burbank field was the best producing field in the world.

Finally, one of our neighbors had an Osage headright in the '60s and '70s. The Osage fields weren't producing near like they were back then and the number of people who had claims to those headrights had increased due to the increase in tribal population... the neighbor told my father that he made as much from his headright as he did from his salary as a refinery worker.

When the headrights were distributed there were 2,229 of them (1906) for each member of the tribe. Now there are 20,000 tribal members (not all have headrights. Most are split up as families have expanded). I believe about 3/4 of headrights are still maintained within the tribal membership as after the "reign of terror" they passed a law that only tribal members could maintain them. Osage nation keeps growing because it is by lineal descent as opposed to blood quantum. You can have almost all the Osage bread out of you but if you can trace back to the original 2,229 members you are still eligible to be a tribal member.

Last edited by eddie gein; 01-16-2024 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies