Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 10:56 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that Polite Society and Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret? didn't receive any Oscar love. But the nominees reflect that 2023 was an astonishingly good year for film! This may be the first year where I can honestly say that all the actors, actresses, and films nominated are truly worthy of winning. Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 11:38 AM

335 posts, read 153,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Because it's more than just a movie about a toy. I'm guessing you didn't watch it.
You'd be correct. The only thing that looked appealing about it was Margot Robbie and even her charms were not enough to entice me to watch the film.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:04 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
You'd be correct. The only thing that looked appealing about it was Margot Robbie and even her charms were not enough to entice me to watch the film.
Then you don't have enough information to judge whether or not it's worthy for nomination.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:21 PM

9,120 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Whatever your opinion of the 2023 films, I don't think we will ever see another year as good as 1939.

Old 01-25-2024, 12:26 AM

4,562 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Biggest snubs:

Greta Gerwig - Best Director
Margot Robbie - Lead Actress
Godzilla Minus One - Best Foreign Film

Worst nominee:

Bradley "Dead Eyes" Cooper - Maestro.

I mean come on, there is just something about Cooper that just irritates me. Dont know if its the dead eyes, the zero personality or the Ted Cruz vibe he puts out. Dude is just annoying af.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 19 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Biggest snubs:

Greta Gerwig - Best Director
Margot Robbie - Lead Actress
Godzilla Minus One - Best Foreign Film

Worst nominee:

I mean come on, there is just something about Cooper that just irritates me. Dont know if its the dead eyes, the zero personality or the Ted Cruz vibe he puts out. Dude is just annoying af.

I agree in terms of Maestro and Bradley Cooper.

Then again I don't think NYAD was any better, and Annette Bening's nomination is equally perplexing.

Although this years Oscar is really a battle of who picks up the scraps left by Oppenheimer, Poor Things and Barbie, with even Killers of the Flower Moon slated by some for being a poor adaptation of the book and formulaic, repetitive and far to long.

I think 'The Holdovers' is a likely candidates to be awarded something of merit, however beyond that who knows how the Academy's twisted logic works.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-25-2024 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-25-2024, 02:14 PM

828 posts, read 773,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Whatever your opinion of the 2023 films, I don't think we will ever see another year as good as 1939.
Very true

Old 01-25-2024, 02:21 PM

828 posts, read 773,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I thought that going in, and was very surprised…..it was just a bunch of fun

Definitely deserves any nominations for set design, song, wardrobe, cinematography, and Ryan Gosling

Gerwig - possibly snubbed

Robbie - Not snubbed, I think she was just being herself

Old 01-25-2024, 06:46 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Robbie - Not snubbed, I think she was just being herself
She was nothing like the characters she played in "I,Tonya," "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," or "The Suicide Squad." She's a great actress!

Old 01-25-2024, 07:59 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

I’ve liked some of Cooper’s stuff but success has made him so arrogant. He is just trying so hard at this point to be a part of the A-list because that is what he believes he deserves.

Maestro sucked. It was not good. Cooper was ridiculous as Bernstein. I usually love Mulligan but found her performance just as contrived as that of Cooper. For a movie about a composer and conductor, there was very little conducting or music. It focused on Bernstein’s private life based on the condescending premise that moviegoers are interested in and fascinated by the private lives of fabulous artists rather than their art. And I imagine that Cooper wrote and directed the movie that way on purpose because he’s just so, you know, innovative; because, you know, a movie about a composer that focuses on the composer’s music would be “expected.”

But of course it’s going to get nominated. The Academy loves nominating pretentious films about famous artists because every member of the Academy hopes that they will one day be that famous artist about whom someone is making a film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies