Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 03:59 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times

Advertisements

Here are the nominations for 2024:

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2024

Not surprisingly, Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon received a lot of nominations. I hope (and think) that Lily Gladstone will win Best Supporting Actress. I think that RDJ will finally win an Oscar; that Nolan will win Best Director. I also think that Robbie Robertson will receive a posthumous Oscar for the Killer of the Flower Moon soundtrack. And I think that Billie Eilish will win for What Was I Made For?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 04:34 PM

27,146 posts, read 13,438,724 times
The top Oscar nominees:

13 - Oppenheimer
11 - Poor Things
10 - Killers of the Flower Moon
8 - Barbie
7 - Maestro
5 - American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, The Holdovers, The Zone of Interest

Oscars 2024: Barbie's Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie miss key nominations - BBC (23rd January 2024)

The top BAFTA nominees:

13 - Oppenheimer
11 - Poor Things
9 - Killers of the Flower Moon and The Zone of Interest
7 - Anatomy of a Fall, The Holdovers and Maestro
6 - All of Us Strangers
5 - Barbie and Saltburn

Bafta nominations 2024: The full list of film contenders - BBC (18th January 2024)

Old 01-23-2024, 04:47 PM

27,146 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Oscar 2024 snubs include:

Oscar Snubs 2024: The Most Shocking Omissions From This Year’s Nominations - Empire Film

1. Barbie – Greta Gerwig (Directing) and Margot Robbie (Leading Actress)
2. Past Lives – Celine Song (Directing)
3. May December – Charles Melton (Supporting Actor)
4. All Of Us Strangers (Everything)
5. Wonka – ‘You’ve Never Had Chocolate Like This’ (Original Song)
6. Chicken Run: Dawn Of The Nugget (Animated Feature Film)
7. The Iron Claw – Zac Efron (Leading Actor)
8. Killers of the Flower Moon - Leonardo DiCaprio (Best Actor)
9. Saltburn - (Best Foreign Film or any other Categories)

Oscar snubs and surprises: Saltburn, Margot Robbie and Leonardo DiCaprio miss out - Irish Examiner

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-23-2024 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 06:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,314,617 times
While I thoroughly enjoyed The Iron Claw and thought Efron's performance was good, I didn't think it was really in the neighborhood of being award worthy.

The problem with having 10 best picture nominees and only 5 for best director is that someone is undoubtedly going to be left out.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:27 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Old 01-24-2024, 07:18 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Then don't watch Mark. Easy peasy.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:20 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Hoffman's ^^^ quote is from 1974, before he had won an Oscar. When he won his first Oscar, he acknowledged that he had been critical of the Oscars but he nonetheless accepted his first as well as subsequent Academy awards:

I'm up here with mixed feelings. I've been critical of the Academy, and for reason. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to be able to work. I am greatly honored for being chosen by the producer, Stanley Jaffe, and the director, Bob Benton, and to have worked in a family with them, and with Meryl and with Justin, who if he loses again we'll have to give him a lifetime achievement award. And to Jane Alexander and to Jerry Greenberg and to Néstor and to the crew on the film who was part of that family. And to the crew and to the directors like Bob Fosse and Mike Nichols and John Schlesinger that I've worked with before. We are laughed at when we are up here, sometimes, for thanking. But when you work on a film you discover that there are people who are giving that artistic part of themself that goes beyond a paycheck, and they are never up here. And many of them are not members of the Academy, and we never hear of them. But this Oscar is a symbol, I think, and it is given for appreciation from those people whom we never see. They are part of our life.

I refuse to believe that I beat Jack Lemmon, that I beat Al Pacino, that I beat Peter Sellers. I refuse to believe that Robert Duvall lost. We are a part of an artistic family. There are sixty thousand actors in this Academy – pardon me – in the Screen Actors Guild, and probably a hundred thousand in Equity. And most actors don't work, and a few of us are so lucky to have a chance to work with writing and to work with directing. Because when you're a broke actor you can't write; you can't paint; you have to practice accents while you're driving a taxi cab. And to that artistic family that strives for excellence, none of you have ever lost and I am proud to share this with you. And I thank you.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:33 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Then don't watch Mark.
Count on it.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:54 AM

333 posts, read 153,398 times
Can someone please explain to me how a movie about a living children's toy has been nominated for Best Picture? Is this truly how abysmal Hollywood productions has become in recent years???

Old 01-24-2024, 10:09 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Can someone please explain to me how a movie about a living children's toy has been nominated for Best Picture? Is this truly how abysmal Hollywood productions has become in recent years???
Because it's more than just a movie about a toy. I'm guessing you didn't watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies