Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 05:43 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to see this, too. Love Paul Giamatti. Paid $3.99 for American Fiction (won a bunch of Oscars). Review on another thread. Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 05:43 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Finally saw this. Really enjoyed it. The way it was written and shot felt very much like a throwback to '70s movies like BREAKING AWAY and MY BODYGUARD. A lot of comedy but real drama and heart as well. The humor reminded me a lot of RUSHMORE --- although RUSHMORE was indeed hilarious it was also a deeply cynical and even cruel movie at times. THE HOLDOVERS still believes in heroes. Paul Giamatti is so great. He can be hilarious and heartbreaking in the same scene without ever saying a word.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:50 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Finally saw this. Really enjoyed it. The way it was written and shot felt very much like a throwback to '70s movies like BREAKING AWAY and MY BODYGUARD. A lot of comedy but real drama and heart as well. The humor reminded me a lot of RUSHMORE --- although RUSHMORE was indeed hilarious it was also a deeply cynical and even cruel movie at times. THE HOLDOVERS still believes in heroes. Paul Giamatti is so great. He can be hilarious and heartbreaking in the same scene without ever saying a word.
I’m glad that Da’Vine Joy swept this year’s awards but was very disappointed that Giamatti lost to Cillian Murphy.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:42 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I liked the movie. The characters and acting were wonderful. But I felt it was nothing I hadn't already seen.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:23 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
I thought the movie was ok, but it felt dated and predictable. Everyone turned in pretty boring performances. I liked it better than Barbie and Maestro but much less than the other Best Picture nominees.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:35 AM

2,034 posts, read 988,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I liked the movie. The characters and acting were wonderful. But I felt it was nothing I hadn't already seen.
This was my take as well. I'll add that it was beautifully shot and the score was lovely. But it mostly felt like treading ground I've seen before many time. Not that this is a bad thing, it's just something that separates good from great movies.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:25 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Saw The Holdovers last night on Amazon Prime, $5.99

2 hours 20 minutes. No commercials.

Loved it. Paul Giamatti was excellent, as usual. Beautiful setting. Highly recommend it to you.

The movie has five OSCAR nominations: best picture; best actor (Paul Giamatti); best supporting actress (Da’Vine Joy Randolph); best original screenplay; and best film editing.
That movie was such a delight! It was over 2 hours. Wow! They could have fooled me. I think our family will watch this every Christmas. So period correct, so place correct. Paul Giamatti never fails to delight.

The younger actor who played Angus? I hope to see a lot more of him.

Old Today, 06:42 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Finally saw this. Really enjoyed it. The way it was written and shot felt very much like a throwback to '70s movies like BREAKING AWAY and MY BODYGUARD.
That was deliberate. Alexander Payne has said he was making the movie in the style of Hal Ashby (a director he particularly admires).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies