Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 01:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

Straw Dogs, 1971, directed by Sam Peckinpah and starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George. Really good acting.

The Adventurers, 1970, with Candice Bergen, Dame Olivia de Havilland, Ernest Borgnine, Jacquelyn Smith and many others. Lots of "adult scenes" and violence, but fun in seeing so many mainstream actors and actresses in a film not in their usual genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 01:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
........The Adventurers, 1970, with Candice Bergen, Dame Olivia de Havilland, Ernest Borgnine, Jacquelyn Smith and many others. Lots of "adult scenes" and violence, but fun in seeing so many mainstream actors and actresses in a film not in their usual genre.
Well, that is as much a Jaclyn Smith flick as Back from Eternity is a Barbara Eden flick........but other than that......

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Warlock, 1959. Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, Richard Widmark, Dorothy Malone, Deforrest Kelly. Caught most of it on GRIT TV - well done characterizations by leads and support as town hires Fonda (gunman) and friend (Quinn) to restore order.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

11,435 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I am not sure what I am asking or what opinions I am seeking, but what other "violent" movies that go beyond the violence do you find fascinating? (And for "bonus points", WHY do you find them to be so fascinating?)

Reservoir Dogs by Tarentino.

I absolutely hated it at first. I couldn't get past the opening scene in the restaurant because the EXTREMELY FREQUENT use of the "F word" sounded gratuitous. I tore the DVD out of the player. Not familiar with his work, I assumed he was exploiting cheap gimmicks.

I absolutely hated it on 2nd viewing, as the copious gore seemed gratuitous for its own sake rather than to advance the movie. I still wonder if it needs that much but graphic violence but then, violence is kind of a theme in the movie.

The movie came vey highly recommended from a person whose taste I respect intimately, so I forced myself to watch it a 3rd time. All the way through. Squeamishly more or less.

Now, it is one of my favorite movies and it gets better with each re-viewing.

Talk about character study. That scene between Mr. White and Mr. Pink where Mr. Pink is on the floor, is just a revelation to both characters. All of the characters are unique and compelling and it takes the entire movie to peel the onion layers with all of the characters.

Deep movie with a lot going on that stays very true to itself.

Old Today, 10:21 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I liked the movie quite a lot, but the book is sheer genius. The movie didn't quite capture all the depth of theme and character that is in the book.
I really have no interest in a violent film unless it is coupled with a character study of the perpetrator. Otherwise, it's a distraction to following the story..."Why is he doing this? Why is he like this?" Maybe it's just me, but I need an understanding of the character's motivations.

For me, movies that offered such 'distractions'

No Country For Old Men - The antagonist was like some incubus sent from Hell to do the Devil's work and then return. No further explanation offered.

Kalifornia

Natural Born Killers

Old Today, 04:25 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No Country For Old Men - The antagonist was like some incubus sent from Hell to do the Devil's work and then return. No further explanation offered.
In the movie? Yeah. Sure.

In the book? Nope. The book is a great character compare and contrast between Chigurrh, Moss, and Sheriff Bell. The book doesn't exactly spell it out for you, but there is enough there to figure it out. McCarthy shows you 2 + 1 and leaves it up to you to figure out the 3.

As much I do really like the movie, it failed to capture a lot of the depth and nuance of the book.

Old Today, 05:54 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQVEteeLC3c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies