Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 09:36 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times

Advertisements

David Cronenberg and Quentin Tarantino are directors who both tend to display this aspect. While I don't seek out these types of movies and they don't leave you feeling pleased after viewing, it does bring the realism and despair of violence to screen without the over glorification and I believe it makes people understand the depth of despair of those exposed to violence. I concur on No Country For Old Men (Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem et al)

A few others besides those mentioned:
Unforgiven, 1992 Clint Eastwood / Morgan Freeman / Gene Hackman
The Untouchables, 1987 Connery / Costner / De Niro re: Elliott Ness's Chicago years

While early cinema didn't have as much displayed violence due to the Hays Production code, there are some that also come readily to mind.
Fritz Lang's 1931 German classic, M starring Peter Lorre as the child murderer
1953 The Big Heat: Glenn Ford, Gloria Graham, Lee Marvin
1954 Suddenly: Frank Sinatra, Sterling Hayden
1955 Bad Day At Black Rock: Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan
1955 The Desperate Hours: Humphrey Bogart, Fredric March
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 07:55 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
WOW! I had no idea that this thread would generate so many responses -- and GOOD responses! THANKS!

Btw, it is interesting how so many of the films mentioned are some of my favorites: The Untouchables, The Unforgiven, Silence of the Lambs, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood-- all very good movies, imo.

Also, 3:10 to Rio (both versions good, but I like the Russell Crowe version better.) And speaking of Russell Crowe, I also like Gladiator which fits into that category, too. And I also like most of the recent violent/action Liam Neesom movies, such as Taken, which was very violent along the line of Death Wish starring Charles Bronson.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2024, 01:19 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I never pass a woodchipper without thinking of it.
The "instant" violence is what is shocking. From the gunshot to the cop during the traffic stop to the shooting of the eyewitnesses to the indian guy beating Steve Buscemi with a belt. The violence goes 0-100 in literally one frame.

Woodchipper with the foot was memorable and in a rural area that wouldn't be odd to run a chipper on your property in the middle of a winter day........just didn't expect the foot to be hanging out of the top!

Old 03-15-2024, 01:42 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I also like most of the recent violent/action Liam Neesom movies, such as Taken, which was very violent along the line of Death Wish starring Charles Bronson.
If you like Neeson flicks, be sure to check out ---

RUN ALL NIGHT. This one didn't seem to get much attention, but it is a really good movie. Has a very '70s vibe to it.

A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES. I never could get into the novels on which this was based, but the movie was excellent. A great example of the movie outshining the book.

COLD PURSUIT. A great action comedy. It's one of the few movies where I can honestly say it is hilariously violent. Many of the death scenes have you wincing in horror and laughing hysterically at the same time. There is even a bonus death in the final seconds of the movie.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:23 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The "instant" violence is what is shocking. From the gunshot to the cop during the traffic stop to the shooting of the eyewitnesses to the indian guy beating Steve Buscemi with a belt. The violence goes 0-100 in literally one frame.

Woodchipper with the foot was memorable and in a rural area that wouldn't be odd to run a chipper on your property in the middle of a winter day........just didn't expect the foot to be hanging out of the top!
The jaw-dropper for me was the scene prior when Gaear finally loses it on Carl. Carl turns to find Gaear in attack mode, arm raised to strike and closing the gap between them pronto. BUT the scene ends about a millisecond before the moment of impact. I thought that little bit of editing was brilliantly effective, as it simply underscores the cringeworthiness of it all.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:58 PM

2,055 posts, read 996,765 times
A Clockwork Orange is another good one, both book and movie. I haven't read the book in years and it's time for a re-read. I've watched the movie at least 8 times.

Much of the story is specifically about a character study, a case where 'professionals' attempt to change a bad character into a good one. It doesn't work out.

I love this movie for its set and casting choices, and the musical score. Some of the violent scenes toward women are hard to watch, and the book was worse.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:37 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Old 03-15-2024, 10:20 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Rambo First Blood

Old 03-17-2024, 12:14 PM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
American Psycho

Old 03-22-2024, 10:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Some poor flick I one time saw where the woman finds the male homicidal psycho to learn from him. At one point, he calls her crazy and she screams at him because that is what her old boyfriend use to call her to which he observes,

"Well, neither of us are playing with a full deck here.".

As said, it was a poor movie but that point, of the psycho recognizing, if only for a moment, that he is a psycho, rather clinches it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies