Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 09:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,234,977 times

Advertisements

The reboot is confirmed by Jerry Bruckheimer and wait for it....can you guess...yes, the new lead is a stunning brave choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yc6...inel-RKOutpost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 11:30 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Ugh. I don't object to remakes in and of themselves, but this begs the question: Why??? The previous movies aren't all that long ago and they still hold up. Does a director who is passionate with an idea have something to say here? I doubt it. This is Disney doing more recycling.

Disney, you know if you REALLY want to launch a new series about ethnically diverse pirates getting in supernatural adventures, do a Sinbad series for crying out loud.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:47 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I'm not going to watch a video by someone whose internet presence demonstrates railing against "woke" media But if that's Ayo Edibiri in that screencap, that would be awesome casting for a female pirate movie.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:27 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,475,901 times
Put a chick in it and make it lame and gay!

I stopped watching the original series after movie #2 so lamer and gayer V2 is gonna be a hard no from me.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:35 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
It's a movie based on an amusement park ride. It's not an untouchable, unchangeable story.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Put a chick in it and make it lame and gay!

I stopped watching the original series after movie #2 so lamer and gayer V2 is gonna be a hard no from me.
It's going to be another Disney megaflop. Yet Disney is firmly committed to the woke agenda.

I've already heard that The Acolyte is a one (season) and done show. Disney is on a course to ruin - instead of making shows and movies that are good, they are deluded in thinking they are making movies and shows that are good for us spreading "the message".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9s...riticalDrinker

Last edited by Trekker99; 03-28-2024 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-29-2024, 05:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Ughhh… I’m getting so sick of the entertainment industry practicing historical revisionism to promote a liberal agenda. Presenting the world as you want it to be—rather than it actually is or has been—does not make the world a better place.
Maybe I don’t know a lot about history but, as far as I know, there were no Black female pirates in the Caribbean in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. There were Black male pirates (usually fugitive slaves) and that is a great premise for a movie (but probably much too serious for the likes of Disney).
I understand that such a [Disney] story will provide opportunities for female actors of color but I still can’t stand the complete lack of a basis in reality. Great fiction is at least plausible.
And, given that this franchise is based on a Disney ride, has (or is) Disney going to change the actual ride as well by presenting a diverse population of pirates to park patrons?

Old 03-29-2024, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Maybe I don’t know a lot about history but, as far as I know, there were no Black female pirates in the Caribbean in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. There were Black male pirates (usually fugitive slaves) and that is a great premise for a movie (but probably much too serious for the likes of Disney).

I understand that such a [Disney] story will provide opportunities for female actors of color but I still can’t stand the complete lack of a basis in reality. Great fiction is at least plausible.
There were never many femaled pirates anywhere at any time in history. That said ... these are stories with ghosts and squid-headed cursed pirates, so we aren't exactly planted firmly in history. So I think you have hit the nail on the head in the need to distinguish between "realistic" (which very few movies are) or "historically accurate" (which none of the PotC movies have ever been or claim to be) and "plausible" (and that is the tricky part).

All stories must be plausible, even Fantasy and Horror and Science Fiction. Once the "rules" of the world have been established, the story needs to operate within them.

So it possible to make a plausible and great movie about a black female pirate? Sure. If you have a writer and director who put the hard work and smarts and artistic talent into the work. But when was the last time Disney did that?

Old 03-29-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There were never many femaled pirates anywhere at any time in history. That said ... these are stories with ghosts and squid-headed cursed pirates, so we aren't exactly planted firmly in history. So I think you have hit the nail on the head in the need to distinguish between "realistic" (which very few movies are) or "historically accurate" (which none of the PotC movies have ever been or claim to be) and "plausible" (and that is the tricky part).

All stories must be plausible, even Fantasy and Horror and Science Fiction. Once the "rules" of the world have been established, the story needs to operate within them.

So it possible to make a plausible and great movie about a black female pirate? Sure. If you have a writer and director who put the hard work and smarts and artistic talent into the work. But when was the last time Disney did that?
I totally get that there are historical precedents for practically any gender, color, etc.

But, with Disney/Marvel-MCU/Star Wars - it is impossible to ignore the overall trend. EVERY movie is now just like SouthPark mocked:

Put a (black) chick in and make her lame and g@y.

Everything.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I totally get that there are historical precedents for practically any gender, color, etc.

But, with Disney/Marvel-MCU/Star Wars - it is impossible to ignore the overall trend. EVERY movie is now just like SouthPark mocked:

Put a (black) chick in and make her lame and g@y.

Everything.
I don't disagree, but as with all things, I am already seeing an over reaction in the other direction. It is pretty obvious to anyone who watches movies that Hollywood in general and Disney very specifically has been pandering to the DEI crowd in very shallow ways for the past several years. I get it.

On the other hand, the anti-"woke" crowd is over-reacting. Any time a project is announced with a non-white woman lead, they are up in arms. They are just as bad as the DEI extremists.

The fact is you can do a great movie with a female lead. I have seen it done. COFFY, STAR WARS, ALIEN, ALIENS, T2, CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON, JACKIE BROWN, KILL BILL, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, WESTWORLD (TV), ALIAS (TV), and a whole lot of Michelle Yeoh movies.

But for this to work, you have to take the time and effort to develop an interesting character with compelling wants and needs and strengths and weaknesses. You can't just write a Mary Sue and cast a gay black actress and think you are doing the world a favor. You aren't. You're actually hurting your own cause.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies