Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 06:30 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
\
I think "A Clockwork Orange" is a brilliant movie by a very good director, based on a book with the same title. It is disturbing and a very hard watch, violent and sick. I assume it is a harder watch for women than for men. It is definitely thought provoking and it is not for everyone.
Thank you. Finally, a realistic review. I don't see the "brilliant" part, but I agree with you on the rest. For me, it was the worst, but I avoid a lot of films I think I won't like, so I haven't been exposed to many that might fall in the "worst" category, or close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 06:45 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,919,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Movies are entertainment, which is a form of art, among the performing arts. Art is all about personal preference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is not unreaonable that a small minority of people will consider a great movie to be the worst they have seen.

That is neither a knock on the movie nor on the person who thinks it bad. It is all personal preference.
That's not the question though. It's not your most disliked or most favourite movie you've seen in a theatre. Like and dislike is subjective.
Good versus bad is objective. A well made movie is an objective description. A poorly made movie is objective.

You can hate good movies - I despise Gone With The Wind. It's a good movie that I hate.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:43 AM

8,156 posts, read 8,380,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
OK we saw this on TV but the Cocaine Bear was such a stinker we had to switch it off. It wasnt even funny in a campy way.
Oh, I have to agree. That Cocaine Bear movie was awful!

Old 04-30-2024, 11:07 AM

507 posts, read 202,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Kevin Bacon made a stinker called TREMORS back in the 1980s I think. Soo bad we walked out 30 mins into it.
Hardly a stinker. It's nothing short of entertaining, on par with the first Leprechaun.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:24 AM

965 posts, read 577,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Oh, I have to agree. That Cocaine Bear movie was awful!
I wouldn't call it awful, but it wasn't scary enough to be horror, nor funny enough to be a comedy. Too many characters, too. It ended up being kind of a nothingburger. I saw it for free, but yeah, I would be annoyed if I paid to see it in theatres.

My vote is for Four Christmases. The only Christmas movie I've ever walked out of. That is an anti-christmas movie if I've ever seen one.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:05 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,941,055 times
Dunkirk

Old 04-30-2024, 04:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 3,425,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
The closest to walking out I ever thought of was "Rocketman". It was like a true musical, when I guess i was expecting more of a biopic. They'd just break out in song in any setting in the film. Plus the over-the-top gay scenes were a bit excessive to me.
That was my reaction. I was expecting a biopic, but found that it was a movie that didn't know if it was a biopic or a musical. Young Reg as a piano prodigy and older Elton playing at the Troubadour on his first US visit were definitely "biopic" (and I agree the gay scenes, while biographical, were a bit excessive), but the all-singing-all-dancing of songs out of chronological order was more "musical."

I gave it another chance though, and this time, watched it as a musical. I didn't expect a biopic this time, but a musical. That way, it worked, and I enjoyed it.

One that I saw in the cinema and have no desire to see again is Havana, a 1990 film with Robert Redford. Not sure what the plot was, but it involved Redford going to Havana for some reason on the eve of the Cuban Revolution. Maybe gambling? We never fully find out. Anyway, he gets involved with some revolutionaries, and the CIA, and I think a journalist, and a few others. Sounds like it might be exciting, but as I recall, it was mostly people just talking. Talking about guerilla activity, yes, but just talking. Two-and-a-half hours of talking. Borrr-ing.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:59 PM

1,339 posts, read 728,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Clockwork Orange. I had to wait in the lobby while my Ex stayed to finish it. He liked it.
If I had seen it the theater, I might say that one too.

For me though, it was Pulp Fiction. It's the only movie I've ever seriously considered walking out on before the end. I actually stood up to leave but my boyfriend convinced me to stay. There were some great performances and good parts, but overall it was a fail for me along with most of Tarantino's movies.

Old Today, 02:04 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,934,919 times
The Hours (2002)

All I can remember about that movie is that people were committing suicide or talking about committing suicide.

It was girlfriend's choice.

Old Today, 06:27 PM

7,953 posts, read 3,906,070 times
The Black Hole (1979). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies