Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovey55 View Post
did trisha campbell martin (who played in my wife and kids and martin) play in madea's family reunion?
Nope. The only actress I knew in Family Reunion was Lynn Whitfield - I recognized the some of the cast by face but not by name (except Blair Underwood. I'f know him anywhere). Unless you mean the play and then I don't know because I know that there were several different casts,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,696,239 times
I have a thought about his tv show House of Payne. Why do the black people of this show have to act so clownish? I mean, with the Cosbys, we had a lawyer mother, a doctor father, college-educated older children and well-mannered younger children, they spoke clearly, intelligently, etc. Why then with this show, does the family act so "stereotypical"? I feel like they are "entertaning" a certain demographic, while making fun of another.
Any thoughts?

Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I have a thought about his tv show House of Payne. Why do the black people of this show have to act so clownish? I mean, with the Cosbys, we had a lawyer mother, a doctor father, college-educated older children and well-mannered younger children, they spoke clearly, intelligently, etc. Why then with this show, does the family act so "stereotypical"? I feel like they are "entertaning" a certain demographic, while making fun of another.
Any thoughts?
I don't really watch that show. I watched two episodes and I was done. There was a lot of clowning in the plays but there was always a point - however I think 30 minutes is just too short for him to have a point. The first episode I saw was the one where the wife was a crackhead and burned down the house - I was like who the hell thinks this is funny?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,400,617 times
Madea Goes to Jail (the movie)- has anyone seen it

Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Madea Goes to Jail (the movie)- has anyone seen it
Me and my mom are going to see it today at 2:30 so I'll probably post my thought tomorrow or later tonight. I'm curious about this one because I hated the play and also because some of this story line has already been used in Family Reunion. But he switched up Meet The Browns a little too and I still liked it. We shall see

Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,714,092 times
I'm going tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I'm going tomorrow.
Okay I didn't like. I'll wait till others see it before I post my reasons for disliking it but I think after Why Did I Get Married and The Family That Preys this was a major disappointment

Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,400,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Okay I didn't like. I'll wait till others see it before I post my reasons for disliking it but I think after Why Did I Get Married and The Family That Preys this was a major disappointment
I thought the movie was OK- a somewhat comedy with a message...all of his movies are like this

Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
I saw it yesturday.

Madea is who made the movie enjoyable for me, because without her it would be the worst one right along with Family Reunion. It was very predictable (of course) the acting kind of sucked and the storyline was old and tired. I really feel like Tyler should actually surprise us for once with a more shocking ending instead of giving us the same thing. The ending was extremely rushed and not satisfying at all as well.

*SPOILER* I also hated how they turned the man's wife evil because I really liked her character and felt where she was coming from when he kept bringing around the prostitute without informing his wife what was going on.

I feel like if Tyler doesn't do anything new with his movies, they are going to die off because people are beginning to notice the same thing. I'm a christian man myself, but his movies are becoming to preachy with the whole "just ask the lord and he will heal you" stuff, it seems like that is the solution to everyones problem in this movie.

Overall, the movie was ok, and there is more of madea in this movie than the others.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I thought the movie was OK- a somewhat comedy with a message...all of his movies are like this
Well after watching The Family That Preys and Why Did I Get Married (2 films without Madea) I thought he was going for a more serious route. This seems like it should have been his first or second movie, not his sixth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I saw it yesturday.
Madea is who made the movie enjoyable for me, because without her it would be the worst one right along with Family Reunion. It was very predictable (of course) the acting kind of sucked and the storyline was old and tired. I really feel like Tyler should actually surprise us for once with a more shocking ending instead of giving us the same thing. The ending was extremely rushed and not satisfying at all as well.
Yeah the ending was rushed and predictable. I thought Madea was too much in this one. She was over-the top in the others that she was in, but this one almost reminded me of the plays because she was so outrageously dramatic. The whole scene with Joe in the beginning was boring. And Brown really had no reason to be in the movie except to make people laugh.

Quote:
*SPOILER* I also hated how they turned the man's wife evil because I really liked her character and felt where she was coming from when he kept bringing around the prostitute without informing his wife what was going on.
I didn't feel her, but I think making her go to prison at the end was a bit much. The way she handled it was kinda like she was looking down on her and for what reason, which was basically Derek Luke's point. We're from the same place so stop with the "those people". She knew nothing about her except she was a prostitute. I might have been a little pissed but when I asked him to explain why she was important to him and he told me long story - I'd have sat my behind down and waited. I wouldn't have left him alone with the prostitute I was concerned about him being in love with. I hated her bossy little friend.

Overall, I just didn't like the movie - it seemed like an hour and a half of House of Payne, which I loathe. And that scene at K-mart reminded me of Fried Green Tomatoes. That white lady was so fake and unbelievable it wasn't funny; it was annoying. The only scenes that really made me laugh was the one with Dr.Phil and when Cora bumps that man who cuts her off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies