Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times

Advertisements

I like the Christmas holidays too, but not in October! Let us get Halloween and Thanksgiving out of the way first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:56 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hate'em all you want. I LOVE the lights, the sappy movies, and all of it.
So do I, but two weeks is plenty.......two months is absurd

Quote:
We need more of this kind of stuff.
Actually, we need a lot less..........most Christmas stuff on today is mediocre. George C Scott as Scrouge, Jimmy Stewart in a wonderful life, fine.......but one more c-actor doing a bad script about some miracle that we can see coming from the opening credits is more than I need.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Goodness people. What's wrong with celebrating the Holidays? Is it now a crime to be in a celebratory mood?

I'm really puzzled by the responses on this thread, seriously. It's as if you folks hate anything to do with the Holidays, which are very precious to me.

Hate'em all you want. I LOVE the lights, the sappy movies, and all of it. We need more of this kind of stuff.
I don't hate the holidays, it just disgusts me to see them so commercialized. I think Halloween is great for kids, and Thanksgiving, too. I do like Christmas, but I don't like seeing Halloween and Thanksgiving passed over in the mad rush to sell-sell-sell and buy-buy-buy for Christmas. Each one should have it's own celebration, not marred by so many people and stores jumping the gun for the next big holiday. I like the lights and I don't even mind people leaving them up year round as long as they aren't turned on. I just think it's too much of a good thing for them to be burning for a month or more before the actual day. If you think about it, Christmas and Valentine's Day are the two biggest holidays of the year, because those are the two biggest money-makers.

And FWIW, I don't care much for sappy movies, but I always cry over those sappy Hallmark commercials!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
I think that horrible story of the temporary employee at Walmart being crushed to death points to all the problems with Christmas. I really think the store should be held accountable because they intice people to come there, even though they know only a few of the items advertised at that price are available.

I also think stores opening up in the middle of the night to get the crowds is totally unnecessary. What really stunned me more than anything was the fact that when the shoppers were told to leave the store because it was closing, many of them mouthed off and strongly objected. It didn't matter to them that somone had died due to the crowds, only that they weren't going to get that flat screen TV at a discount.

THAT is what I hate about the holidays. I love the lights, the movies, the time with friends and family, the food. The gift part of it we've cut down more and more each year. Don't need it, don't want it, can do without it. Give me a nice Christmas party with good food, good music and lots of friends/family, and that, to me, is the best Christmas ever.

/rant over -- time to leave NJ and head back home. OK here we come!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I think that horrible story of the temporary employee at Walmart being crushed to death points to all the problems with Christmas. I really think the store should be held accountable because they intice people to come there, even though they know only a few of the items advertised at that price are available.

I also think stores opening up in the middle of the night to get the crowds is totally unnecessary. What really stunned me more than anything was the fact that when the shoppers were told to leave the store because it was closing, many of them mouthed off and strongly objected. It didn't matter to them that somone had died due to the crowds, only that they weren't going to get that flat screen TV at a discount.

THAT is what I hate about the holidays. I love the lights, the movies, the time with friends and family, the food. The gift part of it we've cut down more and more each year. Don't need it, don't want it, can do without it. Give me a nice Christmas party with good food, good music and lots of friends/family, and that, to me, is the best Christmas ever.

/rant over -- time to leave NJ and head back home. OK here we come!!!
I agree with you Colleen. That was horrible and the total lack of empathy on the crowd's behalf for the worker that was killed is indicative of the type of society that we live in today.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Goodness people. What's wrong with celebrating the Holidays? Is it now a crime to be in a celebratory mood?

I'm really puzzled by the responses on this thread, seriously. It's as if you folks hate anything to do with the Holidays, which are very precious to me.

Hate'em all you want. I LOVE the lights, the sappy movies, and all of it. We need more of this kind of stuff.
Well, it's like this, m friend

For me, it is the way it is done. Christians (and I am speaking in general terms) claim to celebrate the birth of Christ.

You ask any child (again, speaking in general terms) what CHristmas is all about and the answer you get is "presents". It is a commercialized circus. Just ask the family of that young man who got trampled to death in NY State.

In addition, there are any other religions out there besides Christanity. So is there a reason why us non-Christians need to be exposed to the music in stores, tv, radio etc for months on end?

Celebrate your holiday season as much as you want. But would it kill you to keep it to a week or so?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I don't think that the store should be held accountable for that. The people who bought into it should.

I hope they are charged with manslaughter at a minimum. Those people, not the store.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Angry its all about greed !

Quote:
I agree with you Colleen. That was horrible and the total lack of empathy on the crowd's behalf for the worker that was killed is indicative of the type of society that we live in today.
And folks wonder why when they say "Marry Christmas", I reply with a simple (we'll see, now won't we). People are so stupid these days, aren't they. Standing outside a WalMart for hours just to get thier little brats exactly what thier begging for. Growing up on the farm, I thought getting a bike was a big deal.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
There was also a shoot out over some toys at Toys-R-Us. in Palm Springs, Ca.

2 killed inside Toys R Us on Black Friday in Palm Desert, Calif. - 11/28/08 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com

Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Angry Do have to cancel Christmas to get the point across?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
It just goes to show you how stupid people are these days.
And for the parents that dragged thier kids out so early just so they could get what they wanted, they need thier heads examined. Maybe the cops needed to fire a few rounds into the air, if can make stampeding cattle change direction, maybe it would have helped there .
It almost makes one want to hate Christmas for what it was turned into, but not to hate its essence of Christmas, the birth of Christ. Maybe the Jahovah Witnesses have the right idea, don't celebrate Christmas by buying a bunch of stuff for that day. Besides, Christ already paid the ultimate price for the best gift ever, I don't think he meant for it to be what it has turned into today.

I now end my rant.
I stand by what I said earlier, almost makes one want to foreget Christmas all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies