Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Charles Lane: Look him up... you'll recognize him. He started in pictures in 1931 and his last role was in 1995.

Jack Carson

Jack Elam

Keenan Wynn

Eve Arden: everyone's favorite wisecracking gal pal.

Jane Withers

Hattie McDaniel

I could go on, but I have to get back to work.
Great, Fontucky. I know all of them by name except for Charles lane and I will look him up. But you have some pretty good picks here. Jack Elam and Jack Carson, great. Elam of Western movies (Once upon ... in the west) Carson (everybody's best friend, but one you have to look out for, he was the habitual sidekick, great in Mildred Pierce, as was Eve Arden... great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
IMDB features his picture, so you'll recognize him right away.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
as was Eve Arden... great!
I just saw Stage Door over the weekend, for probably the 20th time. Another excellent Eve Arden/Jack Carson picture.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Default Charles Lane

The rent collector for Mr. Potter in, "It's a Wonderful Life,"...

"One of these days, this bright young man will be asking George Bailey for a job." Right?

How 'bout Ward Bond in that movie, the cop, right? This guy must have made a thousand movies. Played John L. Sullivan in, "Gentleman Jim," remember?

Ward Bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I knew he was with Duke Wayne, a lot. Just read in the above wiki that he played football with Wayne at USC. The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, I guess John Wayne was loyal to his friends; nice to know.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Stephen Root.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 AM

If a character actor is a guy/gal that plays the same character over and over, Rod Steiger was not that. He was a guy not blessed/burdened with matinee idol looks, who played everything with believability. He got some starring roles, "The Pawnbroker" ... but he was most often a supporting actor. Below is possibly the most famous scene ever shot in American movies, "It wasn't him Charley, it was you... you was my brother, Charley. You should have looked after me a little bit." I linked it if you're one of the three people left that haven't seen it.

Rod Steiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three completely different characters...

YouTube - "On the Waterfront" Most Famous Scene

YouTube - In the Heat of the Night Scene

YouTube - The Pawnbroker - 'You People?'

Watch his Oscar acceptance speech for, "In the Heat of the Night,"
where he's up against Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman, Paul Newman
and Spencer Tracy, and see that the real Rod Steiger was nothing like
any of the three characters he played above.

YouTube - Rod Steiger winning an Oscar® for Best Actor

Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
The rent collector for Mr. Potter in, "It's a Wonderful Life,"...

"One of these days, this bright young man will be asking George Bailey for a job." Right? Yep.

How 'bout Ward Bond in that movie, the cop, right? This guy must have made a thousand movies. Played John L. Sullivan in, "Gentleman Jim," remember?
Ward Bond is another classic choice.

Ward Bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I knew he was with Duke Wayne, a lot. Just read in the above wiki that he played football with Wayne at USC. The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, I guess John Wayne was loyal to his friends; nice to know. The Duke was nice to regular people too. I met him a few times during the last 10 years of his life.... once at a commercial shoot and a couple of times at his boat.
Here's another one: Frank Cady, who played Sam Drucker on Green Acres. He's still alive.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Walter Brennan

John Wayne was one of those guys who was great in everything he did. What a big career and what an American icon! You could just look at his films and pick out the greatest character actors of the time. Brennan remains the only actor to win three Best Supporting Oscars. He had an unmistakable voice and a trademark hitch in his git-along...

Walter Brennan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Stumpy

Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Great thread, but we've got to get some more women. In the meantime here's another busy journeyman actor Slim Pickens.

YouTube - Slim Pickens - Dr. Strangelove "Noo-ku-lar Combat" Monologue

YouTube - Slim Pickens - Toll Booth in Blazing Saddles

Did anyone catch the Le Pétomane reference?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Great thread, but we've got to get some more women. In the meantime here's another busy journeyman actor Slim Pickens.

YouTube - Slim Pickens - Dr. Strangelove "Noo-ku-lar Combat" Monologue

YouTube - Slim Pickens - Toll Booth in Blazing Saddles

Did anyone catch the Le Pétomane reference?
Had to look at Slim to know him, though I've heard the name a hundred times.

How 'bout Thelma Ritter for a near fixture of a character actress sidekick?

Thelma Ritter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Rock Hudson & Thelma Ritter - drinking scene in Pillow Talk (1959), very funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies