Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times

Advertisements

Almost any action scene filmed in the last 10 years. About that time it became a fad to use the (((shaky cam))) technique to film all action scenes in movies. The result? you can't hardly tell what's going on in an action scene anymore. It's all chaotic jerky camera movements and super quick editing.
Oh how I long for the day when I could watch an action sequence and see what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Women in romantic comedies who live in New York City are always able to somehow afford one of those gorgeous brownstone homes, all the while working at some fun, simplistic job like clerking in a department store, or cute little gift shop or book store or something, where in reality you would most likely be making minimum wage and would be lucky to afford an efficiency the size of a closet in a bad neighborhood. I know it's not supposed to be "reality", but it bugs me anyway.
I know this off subject but your comment made me think of it. You know that movie "Raising Helen" well Helen has this fab apartment but then when she gets the kids they have to move inot this crappy apartment in the middle of nowhere. Every time I see it I always think "what happened to the money from the insurance policy" and "what happened to the house they used to live in? If it was sold, wouldn't she have some money from that" and most importantly "if her sister was so insightful as to leave her single younger sister custody of her 3 kids wouldn't she have also left money for her to take care of them?" I know that's not a major point in the movie but it annoys me that no one thought of that.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
The one that drives me totally nuts is the beach scene with Lancaster and Kerr in From Here To Eternity. If I never see it again it will still be too soon.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Was watching Tinkerbell tonight with the kiddies - the classic one where the main character screws up majorly and then comes up with a brilliant idea to fix it and save the day at the last second.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,482 times
All variations of "A Christmas Carol" (These include those movies that use angels instead of ghosts).
I would love to see a Scrooge that completely and utterly believes in unchanging fate. The ghosts fail and that's that.

Not much of a story, is it?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
All variations of "A Christmas Carol" (These include those movies that use angels instead of ghosts).
I would love to see a Scrooge that completely and utterly believes in unchanging fate. The ghosts fail and that's that.

Not much of a story, is it?
Oh me too! When I saw the preview for Ghosts of Girlfriends past I said "I bet Charles Dickens in somewhere real pissed off right about now". How many versions have there been? My favorite aside from Scrouge was probably the Flintstones version. The ones with Vanessa Williams and Cicely Tyson were horrid.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
car chases
Right.
Especially the ones where other cars crash into each other, flip over several times, then explode.
Or the good guy's car that crashes thru stacks of empty boxes. Just once, I'd like to see the boxes full, with something like buckets of roofing tar or paint.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Definitely, the Woo pigeons and the dance fighting with up in the air slow motion or stopped motion.

And if one more character says, "I will find you" regardless of which word they emphasize, I will puke. I'm avoiding the Liam Neeson movie which I would probably like because that part of the ad turns me off.

Police pull up to a curb to ask wise prostitutes about a suspect and one always knows the person and where they hang out.

Anything scene involving evil/bad religious people. How about scenes of normal people going to church without worrying about some urban elitist critic calling it schmaltzy?

Homicide cops tell drug dealers and hookers to help them and that they are not there to arrest them because they aren't Vice.

The chased person on foot darting through moving traffic in some big city. Ever notice a person being chased running on foot in suburban or rural America in any movie?

The saintly hispanic nanny offering words of wisdom and encouragement and who also is the smartest, kindliest person in the house.

Homeless shelter scenes or street corner scenes where the perp was always seen last.

The mean snarly old Republican Congressman that thwarts the hero, is dispicable and is going to turn out to be a bad guy before the movie is over.

Nerd superheroes or prep school type wimpy sensitive leading men who do something amazingly brave. I'm thinking these Hollywood writers/directors are imagining themselves.

The sassy grandmother with snappy comebacks many times a black woman but not always. Regular older people, especially suburban ones, are rarely depicted in movies unless they live with their kids and annoy them in comedies.

Wizened very poor old rural people on a porch. Add the sound of flies buzzing or a sleepy dog on that porch.

Teenagers with extraordinary decision making skills and knowledge who save their helpless families and friends from physical threat in some drama or horror movie.

The enlightened non-custodial parent.

The enlightened teacher who saves some urban disaster of a school and comes to be loved by their students.

Guy grabs twig when flung over a cliff (car accident or pushed) and manages to climb up after he looks down and sees the rocks/water far below.

Way, way old overdone scene: Sexy woman running from danger in very high heels who usually tears off the bottom of her evening gown because although stiletto heels don't seem to prevent her from making a fast getaway, a long shiny dress will.

Women who tear off some part of their clothing to bandage the hero's wound.

Single poor mothers who are brave, wise and totally responsible.

Cops who are either stupid/bumbling or crooks.

Native Americans who are always wise.

Pharmaceutical CEOs as bad guys as in the murderer didn't do it, the bad drug company gave me bad drugs that made me do it..

Last edited by LauraC; 05-25-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Almost any action scene filmed in the last 10 years. About that time it became a fad to use the (((shaky cam))) technique to film all action scenes in movies. The result? you can't hardly tell what's going on in an action scene anymore. It's all chaotic jerky camera movements and super quick editing.
Oh how I long for the day when I could watch an action sequence and see what's going on.
Oh, God, I remember watching "NYPD Blue" ten years ago and a friend actually pointed this out to me, telling me he couldn't bear to watch another moment b/c it was making him [motion] sick. I hadn't noticed it until he pointed it out, and now I am so aware of it that I can't stand watching shaky-cam scenes.

BTW, speaking of movie scenes that have been overdone... I was just wathching the MTV Movie Awards and Andy Samberg and Will Ferrell did the BEST spoof (music video style) of an overdone movie scene: the character walking away from an explosion that, amazingly, never startles him or causes him to look back. They had clips of it from sooooooooo many movies

Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The chased person on foot darting through moving traffic in some big city. Ever notice a person being chased running on foot in suburban or rural America in any movie?
That reminds me of other foot chase scenes, often in horror films, where the victim is in a flat out sprint, running from the bad/evil guy, and the bad/evil guy is only walking and he is still catching up to the victim. Uh, how does that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies