Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Aimee & Jaguar

Hotel Rwanda

Of Mice and Men

Boys Don't Cry

Gia

Steel Magnolias

Old Yeller

Lost and Delirious

Pay it Forward

The Professional (Leon)

Gone Baby Gone

Anything with a child death, pretty much.

I try and avoid movies that have a reputation of being "tearjerkers". If there's a sad part or two then fine. If the whole movie is a bawl fest, forget it. I really don't watch movies to be drug down into a deep depression! I can understand when it is for the purpose of bringing to light and important issue or educating viewers about the way things WERE and the cold hard truths.....so I forgive it when it's based on a true story or event. But sometimes it's just a matter of a movie that seems to be made only to say "oh, look how life sucks" or "look, tragedy, heartbreak, despair abounds and life is SO UNFAIR!!" (Steel Magnolias comes to mind as well as "Pay it Forward") and thanks but I KNOW life sucks. Don't need to be reminded in my "entertainment". I know the whole tragedy genre has its fans... but I'm not really one of them!

I also don't like to cry because it messes up my sinuses for hours! LOL! I'm not kidding!
That's funny; I have sinus problems afterwards too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I am not familar with it; sounds heartwrenching.
It is, but I highly recommend it (if you can stomach the contents).

The film won many awards. Best child performances I've ever seen.

A film that stuck with me, and always will. As I said, NO FILM has ever made me cry before but this one made me bawl. I literally couldn't speak afterwards. What's even sadder is that it's based off a true story.

Lilja 4-ever (2002)

Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Untamed Heart - because 1/2 way through the movie I realized what was going to happen. And then that last line by Marissa Tomei just tore me up it was so true and strong.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but... Forrest Gump. There are scenes throughout that draw a few tears, but the scene at the end with his son at the graveside...

Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
It is, but I highly recommend it (if you can stomach the contents).

The film won many awards. Best child performances I've ever seen.

A film that stuck with me, and always will. As I said, NO FILM has ever made me cry before but this one made me bawl. I literally couldn't speak afterwards. What's even sadder is that it's based off a true story.

Lilja 4-ever (2002)
I will check it out thanx.... it sounds like a sad story.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Untamed Heart - because 1/2 way through the movie I realized what was going to happen. And then that last line by Marissa Tomei just tore me up it was so true and strong.
Well, at least they gave you some warning and you could get the tissues ready.... I never saw the movie though.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I will check it out thanx.... it sounds like a sad story.
If you're really interested, it's available on Google video in it's entirety.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm not a good audience for the strong emotion movies because of knowing the craft, so unless it is a documentary I usually "drop out" once the director and actors start trying to pull the tears.

However, I'm a bit surprised that the two tear-jerker boxoffice hits have not been mentioned.

"Love Story" - I saw more red-eyed drippy nosed audiences exiting that film than I would have at an allergy convention in the center of Ragweed County.

"The Champ" - A veritable blubberfest for many people.

Love Story just doesn't hold up, but then it never held up to examination when it was released.

The Champ is just too camp for me. YMMV.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Saving Private Ryan. I had taken my mom and stepfather to the theater when it first came out. My stepfather was then in his 80's In the middle of the movie a young man probably in his twenty's stepped around to our aisle and stooped down and asked my SF something. Later he told me the fellow very politely asked "Sir, can you tell me what war this is about"? The movie was sad, but that made me even sadder at the lack of knowledge.......not to know what war we were watching.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but... Forrest Gump. There are scenes throughout that draw a few tears, but the scene at the end with his son at the graveside...
That was a true rear jerker....Great movie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies