Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
boys don't cry
dead poet's society
the reader
Delores Claiborne

and many more..
Boys Don't Cry got to me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The only one that comes readily to mind since it is the last one is Marley and Me. I'd read the book, knew how it ended but still cried.

Oh 2 others just popped in to my head - Beyond Rangoon and Paradise Road.
I am not familar with those movies....I was Thinking...like Harold and Maude???

Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Message in a Bottle wins the prize for me...I cried so hard I had a headache for the rest of the day. It was awful.
I have cried at many movies...I will admit to getting teary-eyed a few times watching Up, the cartoon movie!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Among many :

Cyrano de Bergerac
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Dumbo
The Boy in Striped Pyjamas
Tarka the Otter
The Shawshank Redemption
Watership Down
Sophie's Choice
The Killing Fields
Cry Freedom
Hotel Rwanda
Tsotsi
When the Wind Blows
To Kill a Mockingbird
La Vitta e Bella
Jean de Florette
Gallipoli
The Pianist
Shadowlands
City of Angels
Elephant Man
Captain Aby Raed
The Elephant Man made my eyes well up too.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The Thornbirds

The Great Santini

Old Yeller

The Yearling
I forgot about Old Yeller...great family movie.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Here's two more I thought of; I didn't cry like I did during Lilya 4-Ever but they did induce some sniffles:

When the Wind Blows-An animated film on nuclear war; very very sad watching the demise of the elderly couple, and their continuous faith in their government to come rescue them. I started crying when they crawled into the body bags.

Threads-A British docu-drama on nuclear holocaust and annihilation. The film covers the events of a nuclear attack on a town and the devastating effects into 20 years (or so) later. Grim and bleak and honest in it's portrayal of the environmental destruction and complete breakdown of society as we know it. The hospital scene is the most horrifying scene I have ever seen in a movie. My vote for most terrifying film ever.

Both are available on Youtube...

Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Here's two more I thought of; I didn't cry like I did during Lilya 4-Ever but they did induce some sniffles:

When the Wind Blows-An animated film on nuclear war; very very sad watching the demise of the elderly couple, and their continuous faith in their government to come rescue them. I started crying when they crawled into the body bags.

Threads-A British docu-drama on nuclear holocaust and annihilation. The film covers the events of a nuclear attack on a town and the devastating effects into 20 years (or so) later. Grim and bleak and honest in it's portrayal of the environmental destruction and complete breakdown of society as we know it. The hospital scene is the most horrifying scene I have ever seen in a movie. My vote for most terrifying film ever.

Both are available on Youtube...
A little help please. You mentioned earlier that Lilja 4-ever was available on Google video. I searched and searched but could only find snippets and trailers, even when I clicked on "Full Movie". What's the trick to finding this movie and the others you mentioned were on Youtube? I had the same problem there as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
Joy Luck Club
ET
Marley & Me - totally!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
The classics...Old Yeller, Brians Song, even got misty at the end of Gladiator.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
A little help please. You mentioned earlier that Lilja 4-ever was available on Google video. I searched and searched but could only find snippets and trailers, even when I clicked on "Full Movie". What's the trick to finding this movie and the others you mentioned were on Youtube? I had the same problem there as well.
Here's a link for the full film of Lilya 4-Ever (look for the link that's the full time of the film-1:43 video.google.com)

lilya 4ever - Google Videos# (The full movie is the fourth choice down-the one that's 1:43 in length)

For Youtube movies, you have to watch films in segments so it's a bit of a pain. But as far as I know, it's the only place where you can find Threads (1984).

YouTube - threads 1984

YouTube - when the wind blows

When you bring up the Youtube movies, just start watching them in segments, starting with Part 1, then 2, and so on. Best to try to watch ones that are posted by the same person. If there's an easier way to do it I don't know but I'd like to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies