Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,581,592 times

Advertisements

If I think about it I guess I'd say I'm more open to it the more detached the story is from reality anyway. So like in cartoons I don't mind musicals, although even then I would say I don't precisely need an animated film to be a musical. (Secret of NIMH wasn't, the only song was a lullabye from mother to son that could happen in any genre. Few or none of the Pixar movies are musicals) Also I think I've been okay with it in a fairly fantastical live action setting, like maybe Mary Poppins or something, but even then I'd rather fantastical live action not be musicals.

However in something that's basically realistic and live action I generally don't like musicals. Although as indicated a Mom singing or even dancing with her kids wouldn't generally count as making something "a musical" to me. I mean as long as it's not a full production number. Or singing at church, also fine in a movie and generally it wouldn't make it a musical unless it's overly produced. A movie about a choir? Well I admit that's a gray area, case by case I suppose. A movie where cops or lawyers or doctors break into musical numbers? Blech, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,170 times
Blue Willow Plate (who is probably my long lost twin sister) wrote about "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum";
Quote:
I like your other choices, but this one is an all-time favorite
I'm certain that this is the first musical I ever saw. I had kind of a working class upbringing, no "theatre" or other cultural kind of stuff stuff that other folks knew about. A big deal for us was going to Gettysburg battle field or the Smithsonian.On my first weekend pass after basic training a buddy and I were wandering around downtown Denver and saw this playing at a theatre (it was new then!) and he knew what it was.

I didn't have a clue but a movie sounded like a good thing to do. I was hooked and have stayed hooked. IMO it's up there with "Raising Arizona" with top comedies ever.

golfgod

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
It's like this: musicals are stupid. The "music" is pedestrian, at best, the stories are calculated to appeal to the least thoughtful segment of the population (think TV sitcom or below), and the very premise of people bursting out in song as they polish their shoes or paint their wagon is ridiculous.

Other than that, I guess they're okay.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,199,524 times
As someone who loves music and loves movies, you'd think I'd like musicals. Generally, I don't. Never have from the time I was a little kid, didn't even like the big Disney musicals (Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, for example.) To be more exact, I didn't like the, well, singing parts of them. To me it just wasn't natural...walking around talking, then all of a sudden, break into song.

Some musicals I have liked--Sound of Music, Oklahoma...but mostly? No.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Blue Willow Plate (who is probably my long lost twin sister) wrote about "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum";
We probably *are* long lost sibs, esp with the Denver connection.
Quote:
IMO it's up there with "Raising Arizona" with top comedies ever.
I agree. Perhaps it even influenced the Coens.

I'm a lot like Skinem, too--I love music and movies, and generally do not get into musicals.
I understand how people feel awkward about musicals, or even scorn them.
But every now and then, one of them gets under my skin.

I loathed what Disney has done to Winnie the Pooh, but loved The Lion King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies