Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times

Advertisements

me

1. The Godfather: it's not that i hate it. it's just so widely praised as the greatest movie of all time or the perfect movie, and to me, it's not that great. i wasnt moved by any actor's performance. and honestly, the movie is a bit boring to me. also, there is just something about it, stylistically, that doesnt do it for me.

The Dark Knight: ridiculous movie. ridiculous, the high praise this movie recieves. this movie made me realize that i hate the Batman mythology and the Batman character (such a selfish, childish fantasy) even more than i despise the Superman character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
"Shakespeare in Love" ( watching Gwyneth Paltrow was so painful my now husband called her "the most boring naked woman on the planet" ) -Movie could have been great but that woman ruined it.

"The English Patient" - So boring and pretentious I wanted to gouge my own eyes out

"Lord of the Rings" - Painful, boring, Tolkien would have turned in his grave seeing the video game ( who could call it a flim with such ludicrously unrealistic special effects ?) they turned it into

"Public Enemies" - Loathed it because with such a cast , set and talented writers it should have been good and was simply mediocre

"Sweeney Todd" . Soooooooooo boring . Visually ravishing but bloody awful ( pun intended)

"Pirates of the Caribbean" . Another one where special effects looked like something off a play-station. And Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom ? How could two so incredibly appalling so called actors find a job on this planet with so many talented actors who could have had the job. Two comatose worms could have made this more interesting.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:04 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
I don't care much for Bond. I have seen two of the movies,but didn't think it was anything spectacular.
I might give them another chance in the future.
Maybe.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
It is always difficult for me to relate to the "supposed to like" question.
Do you mean when there is enthusiastic buzz or hype about a film?
Are you "supposed to like" them because the critics do, the awards it receives, or because of the box office success? Or all?

I certainly read reviews before I see something. However, I never let box office success influence me, or hype, whether it is negative or positive.

But if I had to pick something, it would be the superhero/graphic novel stuff--I never get too excited about any of the comic book hero movies: Spiderman, Hulk, Batman etc. This is not because I consider myself too much of a mature adult (I am quite the opposite.)
It is more because bringing comic books to live action tends to be so overly dramatic--almost self-congratulatory--on the screen, yet the story has so little real depth. (Iron Man was a pleasant exception.)
I don't loathe these adaptations.
I just don't feel like rushing out to see them, because they will not enthrall me, let alone move me.
I enjoyed 300, Sin City and Stardust, but not enough to ever bother seeing them again.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I don't care much for Bond. I have seen two of the movies,but didn't think it was anything spectacular.
I might give them another chance in the future.
Maybe.
I agree, every James Bond I have ever seen ( most of them until Pierce Brosnan came on the scene when I simply gave up , as I had a rather entusiastic Bond fan of a father and friends who loved it) has left me grossly underwhelmed. It seems like a series of the male version of "bimbo films" to me. Childish and complete dross.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It is always difficult for me to relate to the "supposed to like" question.
Do you mean when there is enthusiastic buzz or hype about a film?
Are you "supposed to like" them because the critics do, the awards it receives, or because of the box office success? Or all?

I certainly read reviews before I see something. However, I never let box office success influence me, or hype, whether it is negative or positive.

But if I had to pick something, it would be the superhero/graphic novel stuff--I never get too excited about any of the comic book hero movies: Spiderman, Hulk, Batman etc. This is not because I consider myself too much of a mature adult (I am quite the opposite.)
It is more because bringing comic books to live action tends to be so overly dramatic--almost self-congratulatory--on the screen, yet the story has so little real depth. (Iron Man was a pleasant exception.)
I don't loathe these adaptations.
I just don't feel like rushing out to see them, because they will not enthrall me, let alone move me.
I enjoyed 300, Sin City and Stardust, but not enough to ever bother seeing them again.
I took the thread as meaning movies most people rave about but which leave you unimpressed.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Watchmen: I just really didn't care for this movie and found myself getting really bored and sleepy throughout the film.

Monster's Ball: This movie was just nasty and overrated. I love watching Halle Berry, but the old crusty dude just ruined that scene for me. Also, I expected a more complex and memorable movie, especially since Halle received an Oscar, but I was left unsatisfied.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
The Passion of the Christ-I thought this was just a disgusting film and excruciating to sit through.

Saving Private Ryan-Typical overly dramatic, sentimental horsecrap with a saving hero from Spielberg.

Schindlers List-Again...

Pirates of the Carribbean-These movies are so overrated. And I find Johnny Depp really unappealing.

Animal House-I just didn't find this one funny. And the whole frat-boy thing is lost on me.

Transformers-Ugh. Would anyone have bothered to see this if that one chick wasn't in it?

The Matrix-Boooring...

Last edited by annika08; 11-08-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Donnie Darko

Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 PM

507 posts, read 678,467 times
Citizen Kane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies