Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

Gone With The Wind - Hammiest acting I've ever seen. I thought it would never end.

Lord of The Rings - Ever hear of an intermission? Never saw another after the first one. My movie seat butt agrees with me.

Lawrence of Arabia - Saw it in the movie theater when I was a kid and didn't like it and I'm not interested in it enough to check it out again.

The Wizard of Oz - Didn't even like it when I was a kid.

Return of the Jedi - Throw-up cutesy. Never saw another Star Wars movie after that one.

Annie Hall - Shoot me now. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Exorcist - Love the genre, was bored with the movie.

Pirates of the Carribean - Couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Silence of The Lambs - I should like this movie. It's my type of movie but I found it to be way too talky to hold my interest and never saw it all the way through.

American Beauty - Bored to tears in the theater.

But the worst of the worst:

Shakespeare In Love - But I learned something. Trust your judgment. If you didn't like the sound of it enough to want see it when it came out, winning an Oscar isn't going to make you like it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Gone With The Wind - Hammiest acting I've ever seen. I thought it would never end.

Lord of The Rings - Ever hear of an intermission? Never saw another after the first one. My movie seat butt agrees with me.

Lawrence of Arabia - Saw it in the movie theater when I was a kid and didn't like it and I'm not interested in it enough to check it out again.

The Wizard of Oz - Didn't even like it when I was a kid.

Return of the Jedi - Throw-up cutesy. Never saw another Star Wars movie after that one.

The Exorcist - Love the genre, was bored with the movie.

Pirates of the Carribean - Couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Silence of The Lambs - I should like this movie. It's my type of movie but I found it to be way too talky to hold my interest and never saw it all the way through.

American Beauty - Bored to tears in the theater.

But the worst of the worst:

Shakespeare In Love - But I learned something. Trust your judgment. If you didn't like the sound of it enough to want see it when it came out, winning an Oscar isn't going to make you like it better.
Wow!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Annie Hall has a few funny moments, but otherwise, I totally agree with you. I'm not a fan of Woody Allen movies in general. I once met a guy who said that anyone who didn't think Annie Hall was the greatest movie of all time was an idiot. I called him an idiot and walked away.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not saying you should, and I never had much interest either, but on occasion things you don't like in youth work better as an adult. If you or I (separately) ever have lots of time to kill and it's on cable maybe it'd be worth trying.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
Default I could not

relate to ET or Airplane when i first saw it. But I may try Airplane again as i have changed since it was first released

Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
I have to agree with Lord of the Rings; I went to the movies to see the first one and never went back watched the sequels. It seem really long and dragged on for too long (or so it seemed like it).

Another one would the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. As soon as it started I knew I wouldn't be impressed. This movie did not stand the test of time well.

Knocked Up - It got lots of hype and while I though it was OK; it didn't live up to the hype.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

it didn't live up to the hype.
This seems to be a running theme in this thread, and other ones like it that we've had in this forum.
That and "overrated" and "boring."
I don't mean to be a hijacker, but to enlarge on the "supposed to like" theme, it almost seems to me that calling a movie "overrated" implies that everyone else is wrong.

Of course there are a lot of so-so movies, and the the ones that don't tank do well because of superb marketing, and/or they somehow push all the right buttons with the public.
Still other movies do moderately well because they are actually well made, and push all the right buttons with the critics.

Then there are the movies that do well and get good buzz because they succeed in both of those categories, and the people who disdain them simply don't get it. (The way I "don't get" the superhero stuff.)

Nothing wrong with disliking a movie (I dislike plenty of them!) it's just that it seems silly to call something overrated in order to validate your personal opinion.
But maybe I am the only one who feels this way, and I just don't get it.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Citzen Kane and raging bull. The subjects just don't interest me really, There are tons of films I have left in shortly after the start. Actaully only a few each year i would watch if I knew before hand.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
I'd have to say Titanic.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'd have to say Titanic.
I agree. I found it such a disappointment especially with a budget like that. Most people I know raved about it and I found myself going "meh".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies