Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times

Advertisements

1. Ryan's Daughter. A collossal waste of film. And talent.
2. Anything by Seth Rogen.
3. Anything by Woody Allen, except Annie Hall. The scene of him sneezing into the cocaine is still funny!
4. Horror movies. Just don't like 'em. Real life scares me enough.
5. Lawrence of Arabia. Never could sit through it.
6. Borat/Bruno. Stupid. Boring. Exists to make fun of other people.
7. What's that movie that came out a couple of years ago that the young folks thought was so great but was just an excuse to say f*ck constantly? Yeah, that one. Hated it. Contributes nothing to civilization.

I like:
1. Citizen Kane. You have to have seen the movies that came before it to truly appreciate how Orson Welles created a movie language that's still used today - the way the scenes are shot, the way things are spliced together, the fades and the scene transitions. But as far as a story? Not the greatest.
2. Titanic. I've always been fascinated by that wreck. But the movie is really a soap opera - shortening it by half an hour would improve it.
3. The Godfather, The Ring series, Harry Potter - but the first ones, not the sequels. The quality truly starts to tumble.
4. Casablanca. If you don't like this, try The Maltese Falcon. Lots of cynicism for the jaded.
5. Movies by Steve Martin...I don't think the younger generation gets absurdist humor.
6. Mel Brooks movies. But his masterpiece, Blazing Saddles, will soon be forgotten. Unless you sat through all those Westerns back in the 1950s and '60s, you won't understand it.
7. Napoleon Dynamite. Goes along with that absurdist humor. But it would have been nothing without the dance.
8. Anything by Adam Sandler. What can I say? I like junk food!

Fun thread - thanks for posting!

Last edited by Southlander; 11-25-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 24,522 times
BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

BORING and not scarey, people running around the forest for 2 hours and tripping over things..... real scarey

Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 PM

16 posts, read 24,522 times
i fell asleep during six degrees of seperation in theatre, totally agree.....

Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM

239 posts, read 612,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Fight Club
Agreed. I thought I was the only one who didn't get the appeal of Fight Club.
I was kind of disappointed with Slumdog Millionaire (just saw it the other night). It was clever, but it lost my attention a few times -- too fast paced, maybe? I bet the book is great, though.
True Romance -- It grew on me after a few times watching it (because all of my friends LOVED it), but the first time around I was kind of bored.
There are so many more, but I can't think of them at the moment... will be back. Good thread.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:19 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
I don't know if I was "supposed" to like these movies; but a lot of people seemed to. I hated them and any sequels:

Slumdog Millionaire
Wild Hogs
Swordfish
Get Shorty
Pulp Fiction
American Beauty
A Beautiful Mind
Chariots of Fire
The Last Emperor
Unforgiven
It's a Wonderful Life
American Beauty
Raging Bull
Casablanca
Borat
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Natural Born Killers
Pirates of the Carribean
Silence of The Lambs
Shakespeare In Love
The Bourne Identity and any sequels

Anything with Kevin Costner
Anything with Will Ferrell and his normal co-stars in those stupid movies; which I don't watch but instinctively know I would hate!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,766 times
I definitely agree with you on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button & all the Bourne Identity movies. Benjamin Button I felt like I had seen it before......then I realized I had, it was called Forest Gump. And the Bourne Identity....Matt Damon as a bad azz??? Srsly, I'm pretty sure I could take him down.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,791,409 times
Pulp Fiction

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM

88,610 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Pulp Fiction
I think Pulp Fiction is one of those movies you either LOVE or HATE, nothing in between. I loved it. I know people who hate it for different reasons. One is a pacifist-activist who bemoaned the excessive violence--I thought that was a funny reason to hate it. Without the humorous violence, the movie wouldn't be what it is.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
In the past couple of weeks, I've watched "The Dark Knight" and "I Am Legend". Both were, well, aweless. I was also completely disappointed with "Slumdog Millionaire". India produces more films every year than the USA does, and nearly all are better than Slumdog.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM

26,741 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was also completely disappointed with "Slumdog Millionaire".
I felt the same way. Everyone I know who saw it loved it and could NOT understand why I didn't as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies