Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,701,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
My interpretation of hippie music runs the gamut of anything acoustic in the vein of a Pete Seger or Arlo Guthrie to psychedelic in the form of Jefferson Airplane or Jimi Hendrix and even bands like The Strawberry Alarm Clock. Lots of other artists, not necessarily associated with the scene made significant contributions as well. Bobby Darin's If I Were A Carpenter and Rick Nelson's She Belongs To Me come to mind real fast. An album worth checking out is The Association's Waterbeds In Trinidad, circa 1971. It, too, fits the mold.

Basically, anything that stood up to the government machine won approval. So include CCR for Fortunate Son, Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth and nearly all of Bob Dylan's tunes - whether they were for or against something, downright thought provoking or even just silly.

Seems I've only mentioned the guys so far. (nods to Grace Slick) Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Buffy Ste. Marie, Melanie, Janis and Linda Ronstadt were also in on the so called hippie movement of the later 60s, along with many others.

And The Grateful Dead? Well, they kept the era alive - seemingly, forever! Their style never really evolved like many of the others mentioned above. It was always about having a good time. And hippies, leftover hippies, hippie wannabes and yet-to-be born hippies seem to appreciate that type of music for all it's worth.
Never heard of The Grateful Dead until '85! How I missed that being a true blue Hippie kid, I haven't the foggiest (LOL-too many concerts, too much shoulder blade seating) Anyways, I was working at a restaurant off Hwy 1 that Summer. It was after the lunch rush and things were winding down to a slugs pace. I noticed that suddenly, everyone in the room seemed excited about something. And that excitement seemed to be aimed at a dark-haired, thirty-something guy, and his date. Of course, I hadn't recognized him because I'd never heard of, nor seen the guy ever in my life. And, the outfit he had on didn't exactly scream (funniest white poly pant suit) "I'm a famous hippie drum player for the Grateful Dead!" Instead it resembled something you'd seen on a Gibb brother a few years before. Definitely not, "hip" for 1985 either (another reason this youngster didn't take notice).

Everyone knows his name by now with all those hints! And so do I-he!he! (ain't I special?) None other than, Mickey Hart. Oh wait a minute before I get too, "special" and all. I'm not sure if that is even how the guy spells his name. Please correct me if I'm wrong. "Deadhead" I'm not

That

Last edited by jadybug; 06-03-2008 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,698,072 times
I loved the Forrest Gump soundtrack!
Was that all 70`s?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,950,570 times
Actually, it starts with Elvis Presley's Hound Dog from the late 50s and continues through about 1980 with Bob Seger's Against The Wind, with the lion's share of the sound track falling in the 60s. But it's a great one!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:08 AM

955 posts, read 4,096,554 times
Lets not forget Barry Maguire - Eve of Destruction. And no discussion of hippie rock would be complete without including Donovan.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,423,105 times
The 70's had little to do with hippies and I don't think I've met a survivor of the decade who would claim there was such a type of music still left standing. The seventies tunes listed are post-hippie, more folky type stuff with country thrown in for good measure. Hippie music, the true genre, ended after Woodstock, Altamont and Kent State.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,598,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
The 70's had little to do with hippies and I don't think I've met a survivor of the decade who would claim there was such a type of music still left standing. The seventies tunes listed are post-hippie, more folky type stuff with country thrown in for good measure. Hippie music, the true genre, ended after Woodstock, Altamont and Kent State.
Surely the timeline is irrelevant? Isn`t it more a philosophy? Woody Guthrie to Billy Bragg, they`re all singing from the same songsheet. Having attended festivals in every decade since the 60s, apart from the main stage acts, it`s like being in a time warp...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,423,105 times
The same philosophy perhaps, but the label of "hippie" music is very much time specific, of an era of a few years. Anything seventies, and again I'm going back to the initial post, is really light-rock, perhaps country-rock. But certainly not hippie in the "flower power" definition. You can't really throw "White Rabbit" in with "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" and say there's anything common other than they have notes. The natural progression, if one must be made, would be hippie music evolved to prog-rock. The difference being that hippie was self-indulgent and topical while prog was primarily self indulgent.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,598,588 times
It all raises some interesting points mate. I agree Prog wasn`t spawned from Hippie philosophy but from the Psych movement musically. Luckily Psych didn`t die giving birth and the genre has survived with some very good bands even today.Although much of it is bundled [ as usual ] in sub genres such as Space Rock..Bands like Man, Arcadium, Blonde on Blonde, Hawkwind and the like..
As to defining Hippie songs.. How do we describe the stuff done in the last 40yrs by people like C,S,N & Y, Donovan, Dylan, Grateful Dead and all those 60s Hippies?? Are they Hippie songs? or are they songs sung by Hippies?... It`s a fine line I suppose...

As to my post about Time Warps at festivals, all I can add is that sitting around at them in the mornings even today, you are just as likely to hear Donovan and Dylan being strummed and sung as you are anything else...

Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 AM

869 posts, read 2,957,603 times
I'm going to have to go with Cliff Richard doing We Don't Talk Anymore...

Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM

18,249 posts, read 25,912,075 times
The Land of Make Believe-Moody Blues, Lonely Days-BeeGees, Absolutely Right-Five Man Electrical Band, Funky Nassau-The Beginning and the End, Beside You-New York Rock and Roll Ensemble, Stay With Me-Rod Stewart and the Faces, Hoedown-Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (from the Trilogy LP), Sail On Sailor-Beach Boys, Keep On Truckin'-Hot Tuna, We Can Be Together-Jefferson Airplane (from the LP Volunteers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.