Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,946,528 times

Advertisements

My interpretation of hippie music runs the gamut of anything acoustic in the vein of a Pete Seger or Arlo Guthrie to psychedelic in the form of Jefferson Airplane or Jimi Hendrix and even bands like The Strawberry Alarm Clock. Lots of other artists, not necessarily associated with the scene made significant contributions as well. Bobby Darin's If I Were A Carpenter and Rick Nelson's She Belongs To Me come to mind real fast. An album worth checking out is The Association's Waterbeds In Trinidad, circa 1971. It, too, fits the mold.

Basically, anything that stood up to the government machine won approval. So include CCR for Fortunate Son, Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth and nearly all of Bob Dylan's tunes - whether they were for or against something, downright thought provoking or even just silly.

Seems I've only mentioned the guys so far. (nods to Grace Slick) Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Buffy Ste. Marie, Melanie, Janis and Linda Ronstadt were also in on the so called hippie movement of the later 60s, along with many others.

And The Grateful Dead? Well, they kept the era alive - seemingly, forever! Their style never really evolved like many of the others mentioned above. It was always about having a good time. And hippies, leftover hippies, hippie wannabes and yet-to-be born hippies seem to appreciate that type of music for all it's worth.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post

And The Grateful Dead? Well, they kept the era alive - seemingly, forever! Their style never really evolved like many of the others mentioned above. It was always about having a good time. And hippies, leftover hippies, hippie wannabes and yet-to-be born hippies seem to appreciate that type of music for all it's worth.
To me, the Grateful Dead were/are the epitome of *American* music.
They did experiment and evolve somewhat: 1968's Anthem of the Sun sounds different from rootsy modern classics as 1970's Workingman's Dead and American Beauty.
The Dead explored alt-country before the term existed.
The Grateful Dead (along with Gram Parsons and Neil Young) begat Wilco.
And yeah, their meandering jam band style did seem to be about having a good time (especially when, as I witnessed, they'd forget the lyrics--also throw out plastic bags of pot complete with matches and papers.)
However, songs such as Cumberland Blues or Box of Rain do show an awareness of the human condition. They were probably more Santa Cruz than Berkeley; they were subversive in their way--their participation in counterculture ranged from acid tests to forming their own in-house record company.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:23 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,649,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Oh I love that song!

Was part of my Mum's guitar reportoire and we used to sing it all the time!

I'm struggling a little with this genre 6/3. Everything I like that's a hippie song seems to have been prior to 1970 and the ones I like from the 70s don't seem to be hippie songs. I'll keep thinking. Great thread.
I guess it's a prefernce thing for each one ....as for me the ''Hippie'' songs are those late 60's and early 70's quasi peace,antiwar,folk sound if that makes sense. As a kid in the 70's i remember my uncle who was in his late teens early 20's with his beard and long hair sitting with his othere Hippie friends smoking grass and listening to those songs i and others on here have posted.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A few more. Get Together-Youngbloods, Talking Vietnam Pot Luck Blues-Tom Paxton, Volunteers-Jefferson Airplane. Been thinking the song Woodstock to be the anthem on this subject, and everyone has heard Joni's and CSNY's version. But a great version is done by Matthews Southern Comfort. Who? They were formed by Ian Mathews. Who???Ian Mathews has been on the music scene a long time; sadly, this song went top 20 in the Spring of '71 and few people remember it now. Their version was off the album Later That Same Year, released on Decca. I recommend it!
All good picks Double H !!!!!!!

6/3

Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Oh well then! That helps! Thanks hdwell!

So here's some folk rock that I love.

YouTube - James Taylor - Shower the People (Beacon Theatre 1998)

YouTube - Harry Chapin--Taxi

YouTube - America - A Horse With No Name

Hope that's what you meant 6/3.
That's exactly the sound i was looking for. Great picks Moonshadow. Great picks !!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Here's a good version of what i think is a quasi Hippie song by Joni Mitchell. Maybe i'm thinking these are Hippie songs and they instead are Folk songs???

YouTube - Joni Mitchell-Help Me

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,597,695 times
Medicine Head..

YouTube - Medicine Head - One and one is one 1973

YouTube - Medicine Head - Rising Sun 1973

Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 AM

13,660 posts, read 20,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
To me, the Grateful Dead were/are the epitome of *American* music.
They did experiment and evolve somewhat: 1968's Anthem of the Sun sounds different from rootsy modern classics as 1970's Workingman's Dead and American Beauty.
The Dead explored alt-country before the term existed.
The Grateful Dead (along with Gram Parsons and Neil Young) begat Wilco.
And yeah, their meandering jam band style did seem to be about having a good time (especially when, as I witnessed, they'd forget the lyrics--also throw out plastic bags of pot complete with matches and papers.)
However, songs such as Cumberland Blues or Box of Rain do show an awareness of the human condition. They were probably more Santa Cruz than Berkeley; they were subversive in their way--their participation in counterculture ranged from acid tests to forming their own in-house record company.
Indeed true.

The Dead were a traveling jug band that stumbled upon electric outlets and LSD. Acid Blue Grass if you will. Robert Hunter is one of history's greatest songwriters/lyricists.

They were about as American as you could get. At times folkies, other times Blues purists and free form Jazz musicians. Basically, roots music at its best.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM

18,054 posts, read 27,507,480 times
I'm gonna go ahead and say, JIMMA Jimma Timma-er Jimi!

Jimi Hendrix

Was Charles Manson a hippie? Ummm, nevermind.

Grateful Dead -
Truckin'

Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,017,601 times
When you talk about Hippie Songs.. my mind wanders to Phish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.