Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 AM

158 posts, read 515,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Your welcome Cellie. I should have also added Alice Cooper as he was a early 70's metal head and infact i really believe that ''Heavy Metal'' thru out the late 70's, 80's, 90's, and the 00's can trace their roots to Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper starting in 1970 ...

Infact while Black Sabbath may be the father of Heavy Metal ........Kiss is the father of the 80's Hairbands or 80's Metal...
My gosh! You have such a broad perspective and understanding of the history of metal bands, the birth of the genre and major people/groups. Have you ever thought of writing an "Understanding the History of Metal Bands" for Dummies? I'm sure you'd sell a lot of copies!

I'm grateful for all the information that you've given me on the bands that I should listen to as well as history lessons. Again, thank you!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
:gentle laughter: Then I ... also wish to add one I forgot to place tho I've been humming it off and on all this half day....
I had so much fun listening to your links and was amazed at the variety of songs/music. Through them I traveled around the world. The people's attire, their colors, the beautiful scenery, everything meshed together harmoniously.

Going from one clip to another I felt I was being drawn in, until I felt I was in the 70's. I know that I couldn't have had that experience on my own. By your laying the music/videos out for me, it was like being taken on a tour to the Phillipines, France, concerts, beach; I could see the landscape at that time, in the '70s. In the way that I responded to it, it was a tour de force.

Coming from my background, I had never heard such music before. The Jed&Den Quintet took me to the desert then back to a cafe in France. Though I don't take drugs, at the end of the experience I felt as if I'd been on a trip! lol

I'm so grateful for the hard work that you put into this. When I figure out how to do rep points, I'm going to give you one because you definitely deserve it.

Anytime you'd like to travel in the music/video world, I'd be happy to accompany you. Now, I don't want to put any pressure on you because I know that you are pressed for time! hehehee.

The live performances were great, I could see the dancing!

I really like the '70s. I am grateful to the person who started the thread. I'd like to give the originator of the thread a rep point for starting it.

Mr. MAM, thank you so much for sharing these '70s sensual songs.

~deep curtsey, with a graceful lowering of head~

Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 AM

2,051 posts, read 9,335,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellie View Post
... Anytime you'd like to travel in the music/video world, I'd be happy to accompany you. Now, I don't want to put any pressure on you because I know that you are pressed for time! hehehee.

The live performances were great, I could see the dancing!

I really like the '70s. I am grateful to the person who started the thread. I'd like to give the originator of the thread a rep point for starting it...
:bright smile: Then I am well pleased! You are also studying other forms of music I see so shall maybe give ease a bit; for you only have your lunch hour to explore. I could leave you with a link between the Pretenders and Grace Jones which might be exciting to you and won't interfere to much...

Also now that I have an idea of what you appreciate, it would give me a lot of pleasure to most carefully include elements stated by you. For the next week I won't have much time at all and shall be in travel but hopefully after that...

Okay so here it is:

Pretenders - Private life - audio only (single released 1979, album 1980)

YouTube - pretenders - Private Life - Pretenders

[If you enjoy performance art or long form music video, then let's use Grace Jones to dive into the subconscious as she does different staging/lightning/makeup/costume with the same song. Some may argue Grace's One Man Show IS performance art but I'll post a link so you may read an Art Historic Basic on Performance Art and then make up your own mind if you haven't already.]

Performance Art - Art History Basics on Performance Art - 1960s-Present

Grace Jones - Private life (Live 1980)

YouTube - Grace Jones - Top of the Pops (1980)

YouTube - Grace Jones - Private Life

Grace Jones - A One Man Show - low quality (Part 4 1982?)

YouTube - Grace Jones - A One Man Show (Part 4)

Grace Jones - Private life [Top of the Pop] (Live 1980)

Since we're on the edge of 70s I won't suggest examining the complete work of the One man Show, just enough to note any changes from the late 70s. IMO the flow of 69-70 or 79-80 or even 81 is understandable since human beings tend to flow into another decade rather than change abruptly as a decade end.

And now off to bed for a couple of hours sleep. Am starting to see double, so beg pardon grammatical errors... May your musical adventures give you the deepest pleasure possible. Enjoy! :-)

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellie View Post
My gosh! You have such a broad perspective and understanding of the history of metal bands, the birth of the genre and major people/groups. Have you ever thought of writing an "Understanding the History of Metal Bands" for Dummies? I'm sure you'd sell a lot of copies!

I'm grateful for all the information that you've given me on the bands that I should listen to as well as history lessons. Again, thank you!
Cellie.....here's you an example of what i believe is the ''first'' metal song (and video) ever produced back in 1970 from the band Black Sabbath. If you listen to it keep in mind that this song is almost 40 years old as i bet there are some teens today into Heavy Metal who could listen to this song.

YouTube - Black Sabbath - black Sabbath - original videoclip

Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Cellie.....here's you an example of what i believe is the ''first'' metal song (and video) ever produced back in 1970 from the band Black Sabbath. If you listen to it keep in mind that this song is almost 40 years old as i bet there are some teens today into Heavy Metal who could listen to this song.

YouTube - Black Sabbath - black Sabbath - original videoclip
I'm listening to Black Sabbath right now! I'm amazed at how the video and music start with a storm. The guitarist projects a very subdued energy that is hypnotic as the tale is told. It gives a feeling of excited dread, wondering what is going to happen next. I find myself hanging on each chord while the drummer seems to be marching, and then there's the thunderstorm. This is incredible. It is a juxaposition of shadow and landscape against the face and movement.

The rhythm moves powerfully along and then suddenly the drum quickens and there is a dynamic weaving of voice and sound. In the end there is a frenzy of guitar and in spite of that the lead singer's voice is so incredibly clear! It isn't muddied. Oh my gosh, if Black Sabbath re-released this they would probably be surprised at the great response they'd get.

Thank you for giving me a link so that I could see and hear the beginning of metal. Since I don't know much, it's hard to guide myself.

I can't believe that this is 40 years old, it is so fresh. It is incredible!!! There is no way I would have ever been able to find this on my own. Never in a million years. Thank you, 6 FOOT 3.

Last edited by Cellie; 01-15-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
... I could leave you with a link between the Pretenders and Grace Jones which might be exciting to you...

Okay so here it is:

Pretenders - Private life - audio only (single released 1979, album 1980)

YouTube - pretenders - Private Life - Pretenders

[If you enjoy performance art or long form music video, then let's use Grace Jones to dive into the subconscious as she does different staging/lightning/makeup/costume with the same song. Some may argue Grace's One Man Show IS performance art but I'll post a link so you may read an Art Historic Basic on Performance Art and then make up your own mind if you haven't already.]

Performance Art - Art History Basics on Performance Art - 1960s-Present

YouTube - Grace Jones - Private Life

Grace Jones - A One Man Show - low quality (Part 4 1982?)

YouTube - Grace Jones - A One Man Show (Part 4)

Grace Jones - Private life [Top of the Pop] (Live 1980)

And now off to bed for a couple of hours sleep. Am starting to see double, so beg pardon grammatical errors...
I really like the Pretenders' Private Life. It begins with a steady drumming and moves into a nice swinging rhythmn, then Chrissie Hynde comes in. I love the background vocals.

There are two parts that I especially like. One is when the guitarist briefly plays attention-grabbing notes and then Chrisssie comes back in in her cool, straightforward way. Her voice is intense, direct, and matter of fact, all at the same time. She is great! Then, towards the end, there's an energetic, guitar solo, floating above the consistent rhythm being played. The guitar builds from lower to upper notes and I feel as though I'm riding the crest of a wave. (I don't know much about music but hope that you can understand what I'm trying to communicate.)

= = = = = = = =

With Grace Jones, in Top of the Pops, I felt as though I was in a dance club, looking at a sculpture singing. She is so very elegant and untouchable and seems to pose as she sings. Her voice is smooth and glides on the tropical rhythm of the organ. And the weaving of the base, the drums, and the organ give such a feeling of fullness. I feel as though I'm in the tropics, with the wind sweeping against me and the sun burning down.

Grace then shocks me out of the reverie with her lyrics! heheheee I almost feel as though the roundness of her features are indicative of the fullness of her voice. She is fantastic! The song begins with a drum roll and throughout the song, the guitar interjects at dramatic points and the organ comes in and builds, playing ethereal notes.

The way she uses light and dark and shadow is fantastic! I definitely believe that she is the embodiment of performance art. The control that she has of her facial expressions is remarkable. Her eyes actually speak to you as she sings. One can purchase tickets to see her perform but it is not possible to buy all the ingredients that make up her arresting performance.

Mr. MAM, this has been a wonderful journey. Again, I've traveled to other lands. This has been so much fun!

I hope that you've gotten some good rest since you were so very tired. I so appreciate your taking me on a wonderful musical journey.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times

YouTube - kansas - Point of know return

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Ms. Cellie I shall address your post most fully later but let me say Thank you Ms. :-)

I came here briefly to put a stamp on this historic day of the Obama (Lincoln) Train Tour in which he waves and maybe stops the train to give a brief speech to awaiting souls braving the cold...

Peter, Paul & Mary - Washington Peace March - 1971

YouTube - Peter, Paul & Mary - Washington Peace March - 1971

Bob Dylan - Blowing in the Wind - (Live 1971)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4nPJ...eature=related

John Lennon at bed-In- Give Peace a Chance - 1969 (influence 70s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-NRriHlLUk

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 01-17-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Night falls softly... the day's excitement melts into night like cotton candy... :reaches for Jazz Only:

will start with some flute...

Bobbi Humphrey - Harlem River Drive 1973

YouTube - Bobbi Humphrey - Harlem River Drive

:fold in some trumpet:

Herb Alpert
- Rise 1979

YouTube - Herb Alpert - Rise

Chuck Mangione - Feel so good (Live 1977)

YouTube - Feel So Good

:stirs a pinch of saxophone:

Grover Washington Jr
- Mr. Magic 1974

YouTube - Grover Washington, Jr. - Mister Magic

:and now pours buttery guitar:

George Benson - Breezin 1976

YouTube - George Benson - Breezin'

George Benson - Take Five 1974

YouTube - George Benson - Take Five

Dedato - Super Strut 1973

YouTube - Super Strut - Deodato

Lee Ritenour & Bob James - Westchester Lady (Live 1976)

YouTube - Lee Ritenour & Bob James - Westchester Lady

:mix a little Dr. John Gumbo from 1968... influenced the New Orleans Jazz scene:

Dr John - the night tripper (released 1968, performed at "something else" 1970)

YouTube - dr john the night tripper 70'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music