Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 10:49 PM

408 posts, read 723,958 times

Advertisements

So I was listening to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_CLIF1h-o

when I discovered that it was really this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSimbyS_YlA

After I got over the sudden urge to purchase a Lincoln Navigator, I started to look for more on this Moondog character... and came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZeEN...eature=related

.....is all of Moondog's work this interesting? or did I just luck up with the first two songs I found on him?

(in short, lets discuss Moondog)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,911 times
I've heard of him, you brought him up BlackZappa...Thanks, and I'm hooked....but tried at Akron, OH main library...nothing. I have to draw from Columbus, Oh library for anything by him.

Amazing background...Born in 1916 in Middle America...A National Treasure...Look this man up everybody...he's been gone since 1999, but was spawned from humble beginnings from the early part of the last century in the middle of the US and was inspired by Native American music styles, later to compose classical pieces that dovetail into Jazz

moondog on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I've noticed at the library that CD anything "deep" has few scratches, which is very telltale. If you truly love a title of music, buy two...donate to a library, and have them feature it, it will expand peoples horizons beyond GAGA-Land.

Last edited by newmex; 10-09-2010 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
I never thought I'd find anyone who knows about Moondog anywhere, least of all on city data. In 1971 I bought a record of his and played it over countless times. Interesting stuff, especially after a toke.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-ILt4CFsY

Some people might know this Moondog song because of Big Brother and the Holding Company's cover of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G12HVzBa9A

Moondog sued the legendary Cleveland DJ Alan Freed for unauthorized use of his name - Freed's radio show was called "Moondog's Rock and Roll Party" - and won, due to Freed having played Moondog's records regularly on his radio show.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,911 times
Cleveland has a lot of cultural history, too much to get into...but they mishandle a lot of it like their politics. They got the RR Hall of Fame based on this died penniless alcoholic Alan Freed.

I have More Moondog/The Story Of Moondog CD...Love it...Most Clevelanders would say, "What the hell is this?" Put on a Boston CD!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Cleveland has a lot of cultural history, too much to get into...but they mishandle a lot of it like their politics. They got the RR Hall of Fame based on this died penniless alcoholic Alan Freed.

I have More Moondog/The Story Of Moondog CD...Love it...Most Clevelanders would say, "What the hell is this?" Put on a Boston CD!!!
As Freed played Moondog's records on his show, he was obviously aware of Moondog, which is why he lost the appropriation of name and likeness lawsuit to Moondog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music