Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 PM

441 posts, read 2,113,372 times

Advertisements

I liked the Bee Gees and the Grease album. I wanted to be Olivia Newton-John in the worst way!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,416,235 times
I've got a lot of musical guilty pleasures, although I don't feel all that guilty about them. I celebrate my dorkiness instead.

The first CD I ever bought was an Ace Of Base CD. I was a teenager so when I went up to the cash register and saw an older teen girl working, I quickly picked up a Warren G CD because I was embarrassed so I figured that balanced things out a bit.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 AM

3,027 posts, read 11,614,741 times
I got all caught up in the country music scene after Urban Cowboy came out...

No, wait! I was already there before that, and I've never left after that. To quote Barbara Mandrell, "I was country, when country wasn't cool." There was something about all those early John Travolta movies, though: Urban Cowboy, Grease, Saturday Night Fever. All had very successful soundtracks, and pretty much resulted in new musical fads. After Urban Cowboy, it was popular to like country, and after Saturday Night Fever, disco was all the rage! I still like some of that music.

I guess the biggest musical fad that I'm guilty of following was probably the Hooked on Classics mix that took familiar pieces of Classical music and fused them into a three minute medley with a great beat, and packaged in such a way that it received airplay on popular (top 40) radio.

The only other one that comes to mind is the instrumental piece called Music Box Dancer that was also played on popular radio. It was very popular in its time, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how it got onto the "Top 40" format stations. I still like the song, though.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 PM

218 posts, read 709,776 times
I got a better one,, my wife traded Phil Collins tickets for Milli Vanilli (wtf?) so I seen them live. NOW, admit that u liked KAJAGOOGOO! (I DO)

Last edited by Blockheadofaknew; 09-27-2007 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: wtf?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,690,083 times
I'm sorry, but absolutely love Kermet the Frog's "Rainbow Connection"!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:55 AM

27,430 posts, read 27,468,117 times
Dont laugh, but I still remember the choreography for Cabaret (I played the part as one of the club dancers in the play) and I still like the old fashioned 'ragtime' 30's music!

And Urban Cowboy inspired my desire to learn the two-step, lol.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,967,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I'm sorry, but absolutely love Kermet the Frog's "Rainbow Connection"!
Well, when I got married it was played for the first dance at our wedding reception.

I heard you laughing over there...

Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM

95 posts, read 172,736 times
Default wedding songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Well, when I got married it was played for the first dance at our wedding reception. I heard you laughing over there...
Well, it's a far cry from what was played at most weddings around the time I got married, which was "Color My World" by Chicago.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,467,041 times
I confess: I liked Rick Astley (or as I like to refer to him now, Rick Ghastly). But cut me some slack, I was only 13 or so. But I didn't like him quite enough to ever buy any of his stuff. Mostly I liked his fashion sense and it was a bonus that his tunes were catchy, if a bit canned. He actually had a decent voice too, now that I think of it.

Hmm, maybe I still do like him, a teeny bit.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,690,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Ter View Post
Well, it's a far cry from what was played at most weddings around the time I got married, which was "Color My World" by Chicago.
Which reminds me, why on earth have I seen so many lovebirds -- especially brides & grooms and their reception guests -- dancing to "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling"??? Do they realize the lyrics to this thing? Any lovebirds out there wish to admit to this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music