Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,514,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have no use for a person like you. I wish there were two worlds, one for you to live in, and one for me. I like music, too. Also, a lot. But it isn't something I inflict on others. I don't like to make others suffer or feel annoyance. I don't go to your "vibrant" districts. I wish you could stay out of my less-vibrant one. I'm no psychiatrist, but isn't the definition of "sociopath" a person who doesn't care how his actions affect others? That's how you describe yourself, Xander, as someone who doesn't care how his behavior affects others.
And I have no use for up-tight whiners like you, it goes both ways.

You also can not read, because I very clearly said that I DO turn down my music if I enter a quiet residential neighborhood, kid. Hearing music for a fraction of a second is not "having suffering inflicted upon you", if it is, I suggest you avoid going in public at all costs.

Listening to loud music in appropriate situations doesn't make anyone a sociopath. I specifically said I use discretion and turn music down when I am in "your less-vibrant" neighborhood.

I said that I play my music loud in the loud areas, very clearly.

So no, I do not care if you are "inflicted with suffering" by a fraction of a second of music as I drive by you on a busy street... in that case, you have the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,941,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So no, I do not care if you are "inflicted with suffering" by a fraction of a second of music as I drive by you on a busy street... in that case, you have the problem.
Tell me something I didn't know.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Tell me something I didn't know.
I wonder, is it more childish to reply to a snippet of the post with a childish comment or to reply to the post in full?.. We know what route you took.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM

639 posts, read 824,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But have you ever actually listened to the kinds of things people who hate rap say?

The people who truly hate rap--as opposed to those who just don't care for it--are almost totally unfamiliar with the genre. Most of them probably couldn't name six rappers off the tops of their heads, or even name the titles of six rap songs.

People who truly hate rap don't hate it for what it is, but for what they feel it represents. To them, rap is scary black men glorifying violence, drugs, murder and misogyny. That's it. They don't see rap as a form of music at all. They see rap as an artifact of "ghetto" culture, and to them "ghetto" culture represents all that is evil and twisted and wrong in the world.
This is SOOOO true. Good post.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,226,020 times
Many of us dislike rap for the LYRICS, repetitive rhyming, monotones and LACK of instruments, and overuse of keyboard macros, effects and auto tune.
Rap is just too primitive and LACKS the heart and melody of composed music.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,492,268 times
Quote:
But have you ever actually listened to the kinds of things people who hate rap say?

The people who truly hate rap--as opposed to those who just don't care for it--are almost totally unfamiliar with the genre. Most of them probably couldn't name six rappers off the tops of their heads, or even name the titles of six rap songs.

People who truly hate rap don't hate it for what it is, but for what they feel it represents. To them, rap is scary black men glorifying violence, drugs, murder and misogyny. That's it. They don't see rap as a form of music at all. They see rap as an artifact of "ghetto" culture, and to them "ghetto" culture represents all that is evil and twisted and wrong in the world.
Maybe more rappers should embrace something positive in their lyrics rather than glorifying violence, drugs, murder and misogyny, and more people would regard the musical form positively. I know there are those who do that. I also know there is a whole sea of those who don't.

What some people - particularly African-American rappers - don't seem to understand is that when they put out this kind of hateful material, they are really holding their own people back. Those kids in the ghetto who pick up drugs and guns...this is their soundtrack. This is what they take hold of in their circumstances and what makes an impression on them. Combine it with other volatile ingredients and it makes a big impact. To turn a blind eye to this is to be complicit in the problems faced by new generations growing up in low-income inner city neighborhoods.

Last edited by ambient; 06-05-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 PM

639 posts, read 824,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe more rappers should embrace something positive in their lyrics rather than glorifying violence, drugs, murder and misogyny, and more people would regard the musical form positively. I know there are those who do that. I also know there is a whole sea of those who don't.

What some people - particularly African-American rappers - don't seem to understand is that when they put out this kind of material, they are really holding their own people back. Those kids in the ghetto who pick up drugs and guns...this is their soundtrack. This is what they take hold of in their circumstances and what makes an impression on them. Combine it with other volatile ingredients and it makes a big impact.
As I've stated before earlier in this thread they're are plenty of rap artist who have about positivity, love, unity, peace, respect, etc. The Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Jay Electronica, Outkast, Nas, Common the list goes on and on these type of artist have REAL talent. Me and my wife went to a Talib Kweli concert in New Olreans about a month ago and the diversity of the crowd was unbelievable black, white, latino, asian etc. as a matter of fact there where more whites than any group and they were having a blast just like the rest of us.

Now I agree that those rap artist who dedicate there whole albums to drugs, guns, sex, money etc. need to get a clue because you are right it CAN have a negative input on black youth in particular. I can't stand this either and I'm black.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Many of us dislike rap for the LYRICS, repetitive rhyming, monotones and LACK of instruments, and overuse of keyboard macros, effects and auto tune.
Rap is just too primitive and LACKS the heart and melody of composed music.
No, the terrible mass produced stuff does that, at least half of hip-hop is NOT anything like what you described. If you are too lazy to look into the genre or it just doesn't interest you, that is your problem, not Hip-hop's.

Would you point out the crappy lyrics, lack of instruments, effects and autotune in these songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-utMO586HCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAvB08O3IUc

Quote:
There is a whole sea of rockers, country, pop...etc musicians that glorify violence, drugs, murder, and misogyny. This by no means is exclusive to hip-hop.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,177,889 times
Quote:

..looks like you're spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Fitting it rhymes with crap.

Not into thuggery, violence, and foul lauguage.
It's not "music."

Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,497,348 times
Quote:

What some people - particularly African-American rappers - don't seem to understand is that when they put out this kind of hateful material, they are really holding their own people back. Those kids in the ghetto who pick up drugs and guns...this is their soundtrack. This is what they take hold of in their circumstances and what makes an impression on them. Combine it with other volatile ingredients and it makes a big impact. To turn a blind eye to this is to be complicit in the problems faced by new generations growing up in low-income inner city neighborhoods.
But the prevalence of violent, misogynistic rap came about because that is what record companies decided would sell. It wasn't because that was what all, or even most, rappers necessarily wanted to produce. Glen Ford, host of 'Rap It Up," the very first nationally syndicated rap review, has written about this at some length. I've attached the article below.

Hip Hop Profanity, Misogyny and Violence: Blame the Manufacturer | Black Agenda Report

Last edited by RogersParkGuy; 06-05-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music