Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,417,390 times

Advertisements

rap, killing cop, raping women, gangster, non musical. ok, I can see why some people would like that trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,572,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
That's because rap is mostly African-American dominated and we all know how MAINSTREAM AMERICA feels about things like that. If you get my drift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I honestly think that deep down at the core of it, it's a race thing, keep in mind, I'm saying this as a white guy. Let's say that Dave Matthews or Maroon 5 releases a song called " I am a God", everyone would run around " They have so much confidence, it's nice to see confident people." Kanye does it and everyone runs around saying " who does he think he is?" If every rapper were white, rap wouldn't get the backlash it gets. If every rapper looked like Zack Morris, nobody would care.

The most truthful posts in this thread.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,108,225 times
I grew up with the Beatles, disco, etc. I'm 63 and love German Industrial and Symphonic metal. But I hate rap. I'm classically trained: ballet and piano and my dance expertise is middle eastern. Rap is boring, has no dynamics, does not inspire me to dance or create, isn't something I can sing, and certainly isn't anything I can play. As far as lyrics - I don't pay much attention to words but rap is right down there with country western in that respect. To each their own I guess but I'd be curious to see the results of a study that examined how many people who really love rap are musically trained. My opinion is that rap for those who are unable to follow more complex music.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,417,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Rap music started out the same way blues did. When blues was discovered in the twenties, like rap it was " unapologetically " black music. .

no it didn't, rap is so call music for people without any talent to sing or play musically, its not even music or any shape or form

Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,004,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Huh? So you are telling me that the majority of hip hop artists ARE NOT African-American? lol.. I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I know hip hop is popular amongst young white kids in suburban america but hip hop itself meaning the artists are MOSTLY african amerians. FACT!!
I never said that most rap artists are not black. This is a known fact. Where do you get off on this bit about me saying most rap artists are white...?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no it didn't, rap is so call music for people without any talent to sing or play musically, its not even music or any shape or form
This ^

Rappers do not sing like musicians do in every other style of "music". In every other style of music the musicians use instruments to create their music, rappers use electronic beats and synthesizers, what is musical about that? No singing, no instruments. It's just a niche in the media that they realized was able to generate significant revenue since a lot of people like pretty tame and talentless noise.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,419,119 times
since it's 2014 i'll just use the same line and thought process that is currently being used...

"you people that HATE rap music are RACIST!!!"

- you HATE rap music because BLACK people are making the majority of it

- you HATE that BLACK people have created and used this artform as a way to make a living

- you HATE that BLACK people might possibly have influence on your precious lil white chilren

we know that these are the *REAL* reasons...sure, sure we believe you when you say that it's the lyrics blah blah (riiiiight... no other music has explicit lyrics in it, yep) funny when you read post by people who say

"hey guy, i like some rap...that eminem feller is pretty good" right right... the white guy i guess he never talked about killing b's or cussed and what not have you ever even listened to his music?

and i also never heard n-words or profanity in rock music either

just embrace yer RACISM and i guarantee you'll sleep better at night

Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,403,373 times
Oh, not the "They have no talent (but I couldn't do it to save my life)" argument again...

I think we've established by now that the reason most people say they don't like rap... only applies to their assumptions of rap, though I wouldn't fault them entirely for that. But do they like AC/DC? Hell yeah! Even though most of their songs are about sex...

Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,785,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I grew up a HUGE rap fan, still am( one of the very few things nowadays( unlike " selfies"). Point blank, I've never understood why rap gets such a bad rap . I think if people( yes I'm speaking to my age group and my parents age group) took the time to sit down and listen to the non-radio rap, you'd figure out what REAL rap is all about. It's just sad to hear " Oh rap is just thugs talking about their women, shootings, and their jewelry." Congrats, you've made an uneducated generalization. That'd be like me saying " Well I heard Nickelback on the radio so ALL rock music is trash." " I heard Beiber on the radio ALL pop music is trash". I think when people bash rap, at least from what I've encountered, there is a racial undertone to it. If you're going to bash rap, turn off 2Chainz and put on some Common, Lupe, or some Nas, then make the statement that ALL rap is garbage.
Modern rap sucks. Old-school rap is cool.

Rap, as a musical form, has existed for many decades. What we know as "rap", commonly associated with black culture, developed in the 1970's. Listen to old rap from the 1980's and then tell me all rap sucks. I can't stand modern rap because most of the time you can't understand what the dudes are saying, and the other part of the time you recognize that they're talking about sex, drugs, crime, and their gangs, in vernacular that sounds totally ridiculous.

But just last week as my wife and I were painting the dining room, we played my "Old-School Hip-Hop Party" CD. "Bust A Move", "Wild Thing", "Hip Hop Hooray", "Whoomp There It Is", "The Message", "Rapper's Delight", "Funky Cold Medina", etc. I can rock with that, and we're both Caucasian. Rap started out as poetry set to a rhythm... the fact that it's degraded into NC-17 rated garbage these days doesn't change what it always used to be.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Oh, not the "They have no talent (but I couldn't do it to save my life)" argument again...

I think we've established by now that the reason most people say they don't like rap... only applies to their assumptions of rap, though I wouldn't fault them entirely for that. But do they like AC/DC? Hell yeah! Even though most of their songs are about sex...
I can't stand AC/DC. Some of the most overrated, overplayed, mainstream radio garbage rock. Same with Guns n Roses.

Major difference between bands like AC/DC and today's rappers. AC/DC never sung about cheating on their girlfriends, running from the police, disrespecting women by calling them ho*s and b**ches, promoted a thug life, or bragged about their criminal past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music