Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 AM

639 posts, read 823,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Thug life to a rapper is like a cowboy hat and boots to country singer. Most of the time it's something they put on for the show. The buying power of young suburbanites changed rap.They aren't interested in listening to music that empowers African Americans.This may be a harsh statement but IMO In popular music, if an song is out there and everywhere by definition it can't be that good.The artist might be capable of producing something deep but they know it won't sell.

This is true, for some reason young white suburbanites are intrigued by hood/inner city life and their parents can't stand that. lol.. I'll give some credit to the white youngsters today at least they are receptive to the hip hop culture no matter how good/bad the music may be unlike there predecessors who as soon as they here the word rap or hip hop negativity immediately enters there mind and soon after comes out there mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,230,247 times
Ice-T's take on today's rap and hip-hop

Hip-hop legend, actor and director Ice-T recently spoke to Flama's D-Stroy of "Left Unattended" about Ice-T's upcoming projects — including BODY COUNT's new album, "Manslaughter". You can now watch the chat at TheFlama.com.

"People have been asking me to do some music, and I haven't really been inspired to do hip hop for a while, 'cause hip hop kind of got really pop to me," Ice-T said. "But my band always wants to play, so we decided to do an album. We got signed to Sumerian Records. We finished the album. It's called 'Manslaughter'. We shot the [first] video.

We did the album cover. It'll be out June 10. And it's brutal. It's brutal."

Ice T Says New Body Count Album 'Manslaughter' Is 'Brutal' - Blabbermouth.net

BODY COUNT - Talk S**t, Get Shot (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,883,586 times
What does Ice-T have to feel "brutal" about these days? His life is pop.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:40 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,509,553 times
Because the worst of every genre is the part of the genre that gets all of the attention.

Same reason people hate metal. They have maybe heard Slipknot or Gwar... and they think it represents all metal, so they write off one of the most intricate genres there is, if not the most.

Blame people like Jay-z and Doctor Dre, Blame people like Kanye West.

They aint got crap on rappers like Sage Francis, Slug, Sims,etc... Check this out, let me know if this follows any of the "cars drugs and money" stereotypes that people like to attach to hip-hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBP-dYrpUg

Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM

818 posts, read 858,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Because the worst of every genre is the part of the genre that gets all of the attention.

Same reason people hate metal. They have maybe heard Slipknot or Gwar... and they think it represents all metal, so they write off one of the most intricate genres there is, if not the most.

Blame people like Jay-z and Doctor Dre, Blame people like Kanye West.

They aint got crap on rappers like Sage Francis, Slug, Sims,etc... Check this out, let me know if this follows any of the "cars drugs and money" stereotypes that people like to attach to hip-hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBP-dYrpUg

Really? Jay and Kanye? Kanye's first 3 albums were classics and Jay has about 4 himself, legends

Old 05-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Really? Jay and Kanye? Kanye's first 3 albums were classics and Jay has about 4 himself, legends
... that don't rap about anything with meaning since they became famous.

They ARE the stereotypes that make people hate hip-hop. Sage Francis could rap those two under the table any day of the week with his brain tied behind his back... and he will actually say something other than "She wears Forever 21 and just turned thir-tay!".

Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
... that don't rap about anything with meaning since they became famous.

They ARE the stereotypes that make people hate hip-hop. Sage Francis could rap those two under the table any day of the week with his brain tied behind his back... and he will actually say something other than "She wears Forever 21 and just turned thir-tay!".
I'm guessing you never heard 808s and Heartbreak or Reasonable Doubt.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you never heard 808s and Heartbreak or Reasonable Doubt.
Yeah, I have. The lyrics are clever, well written, and well delivered... but compared to Sage, Slug, etc.... even NWA it doesn't say crap.

People hate mainstream hip-hop because it sucks. People hate underground hip-hop because mainstream hip-hop sucks.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM

I like NWA and Slug, Sage bores me to tears though. Crooked I, now there's good stuff

Old 05-30-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I like NWA and Slug, Sage bores me to tears though. Crooked I, now there's good stuff
I find it hard to believe that anybody who understands what is being said in "Makeshift Patriot" can get bored with it, or "Slow down, Ghandi".... and then not be bored with Kanye... but to each their own, I guess.

At least this isn't the type of hip-hop people hate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPrz5FCKdQ

I agree with you on the main premise, just disagree on certain artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music