Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
No, both eyes are open
Both eyes, check. Now how's bout dem EARS!?! No wonder yer hearin' dem rymes??!

Just teasin' man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 AM

818 posts, read 857,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Both eyes, check. Now how's bout dem EARS!?! No wonder yer hearin' dem rymes??!

Just teasin' man...
I fail to see the humor.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I fail to see the humor.
Yeah, well ... at least you like the Irish.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
At its inception, Rap was great. Later on the genre was taken over by hooligans. Who wants to back or listen to those types of human beings? Oh yes, those types of human beings. No thanks. Bring back the Rap of old : Run, Sugarhill Gang, etc.--and win back my respect, my ears, and my dollars.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,790 times
Blondie - Rapture - YouTube

Rap without the gangsta factor.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,614 times
I was a teenager in the 90's, when hip hop became really popular in suburban White America. I don't dislike rap music for the way it sounds, but I dislike the culture it introduced. When I think back on being a teenager, I don't really think about flannel shirts and alternative rock like Peal jam or Nirvana. I remember upper and middle class white kids talking and acting like inner city blacks, that were obsessed with rap culture. I hated going to parties and having to listen to the Chronic on repeat for 8 hours straight. I hated having to deal with wannabe gang bangers ruining every function I went to for almost an entire decade. What's funny is that when I hear hip hop or see gang culture these days, I don't think of black people or urban life; I think of bored white kids living in the burbs that ruined a lot of my prime years with their stupidity. I think of D-bags like the guys in that movie Alpha-dog.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
At its inception, Rap was great. Later on the genre was taken over by hooligans. Who wants to back or listen to those types of human beings? Oh yes, those types of human beings. No thanks. Bring back the Rap of old : Run, Sugarhill Gang, etc.--and win back my respect, my ears, and my dollars.
If you want to go way back to the inception of rap music, there are two songs which did just that long before rap became mainstream.

Bob Dylan Subterranean Homesick Blues
(Sorry they only have a decent cover of it)

Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues - YouTube

Johnny Cash I've Been Everywhere.

J-O-H-N-N-Y C-A-S-H - I've Been Everywhere - With Lyrics - YouTube

Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM

363 posts, read 817,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think you'll find 30 years from now that you won't like some new genre at that time, either.

Personally, I dislike rap today because it has devolved from its roots to a lower form rather than evolving to a higher form. Compared to what it started with, it's gotten worse.

It's no longer for us by us, a voice of expression,

but use us, abuse us, a tool of oppression
I agree with you 100 percent.

I use to be a hip hop fanatic. Spun records, carried milk crates with different beats and jams, had a set of Technics SL 1200's. I mean me and my boys listen to The Sugarhill Gang, Treacherous Three, Kurtis Blow, Steady B, X-Clan, KRS One, LL Cool Jay, Public Enemy (the list goes on). Had my radio preset to Hot 97, Power 105.1, and 98.7 Kiss (when it was a hip hop station). Now, the crap I hear on the radio is NOTHING like what it used to be. Sorry, O.P., but the stuff were talking about today that people call rap is garbage. Here are the same old things you hear in rap and see in the videos.

1) Some type of liquor or weed being passed around or bricks being dealt.

2) Some scantily clad woman walking around or talked about.

3) Some cash or jewelry being shown or talked about.

That's it. After a fat beat, there is nothing else to offer the listener.

Last edited by akatrk; 05-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Grammar

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
If you want to go way back to the inception of rap music, there are two songs which did just that long before rap became mainstream.

Bob Dylan Subterranean Homesick Blues
(Sorry they only have a decent cover of it)

Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues - YouTube

Johnny Cash I've Been Everywhere.

J-O-H-N-N-Y C-A-S-H - I've Been Everywhere - With Lyrics - YouTube
Agreed. Big fan of both: John and Bob. BTW, Happy Birthday Bob!

We could even trace it (rhyme and reason set to music) back further and further to ancient times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Blondie - Rapture - YouTube

Rap without the gangsta factor.
Right there, Irishfan! ^^ Now SHE is a rapper!! ( Hot too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music