Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Way back, when rock first put in an appearance, many hated it and considered it an abomination to the listening ears of the public. Old people especially were against it. When the Beatles appeared, same thing... one of my professors in college said their music was discordant. It's nothing new for older generations to not like the new that comes on the scene. Highly doubtful it's ever going to change. Some people like rap, some people don't. I have eclectic tastes in music, but rock is really where it's at. lolol
Cackle. I feel exactly the same. I do have an appreciation for other types of music--as a matter of fact, now that summer is here, I will be getting my pizza and sitting on the lawn in the nearby beach town on Sunday nights for the free blues and jazz concerts. Occasionally when I'm driving I'll put on the classical music station, and last year on the 100th anniversary of the release of The Rite of Spring I listened to a long program while driving back from another state about the history and controversy over that ballet when it first opened, as well as the music they played in between the story.

But rock will always be first in my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I grew up a HUGE rap fan, still am( one of the very few things nowadays( unlike " selfies"). Point blank, I've never understood why rap gets such a bad rap . I think if people( yes I'm speaking to my age group and my parents age group) took the time to sit down and listen to the non-radio rap, you'd figure out what REAL rap is all about. It's just sad to hear " Oh rap is just thugs talking about their women, shootings, and their jewelry." Congrats, you've made an uneducated generalization. That'd be like me saying " Well I heard Nickelback on the radio so ALL rock music is trash." " I heard Beiber on the radio ALL pop music is trash". I think when people bash rap, at least from what I've encountered, there is a racial undertone to it. If you're going to bash rap, turn off 2Chainz and put on some Common, Lupe, or some Nas, then make the statement that ALL rap is garbage.

I think you'll find 30 years from now that you won't like some new genre at that time, either.

Personally, I dislike rap today because it has devolved from its roots to a lower form rather than evolving to a higher form. Compared to what it started with, it's gotten worse.

It's no longer for us by us, a voice of expression,

but use us, abuse us, a tool of oppression

Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
I like all music from classical to euro techno, there is a time and place for it all. I grew up when rap was in its main stream infancy back in the day when the likes of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, LL Cool J and Run DMC were making fun upbeat music. The songs had a good beat and clever lyrics. Today rap seems to be more gritty and somewhat hateful performed by hooded dudes in baggy clothes and I think that scares alot of people that don't know that is part of the culture. Back in the day there were hard core rap groups like NWA that rapped about all the stereotypes that the public associates with the bad but back then it was more underground. Today this "scary rap by scary dudes" is more mainstream.
What I don't get is how popular this hardcore rap is with the white audience. How can a white kid from the suburbs relate?? Bring back Eminem and I might understand it.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I love rap music, I grew up with it. I like all kinds of music, but anything vulgar and hostile can get old really quickly. I like rap that tells a story, which pretty much describes much of the older rap music. I am getting a little sick of the constant songs today about "booty bouncing" and "shaking that thang" and all, that, just like anything, would get old after awhile and trust me, it has in my opinion.
To me this sums up why the genre gets such a bad rap. From the mid-70's to the late 80's rap told a story and was performed by true wordsmiths. Then, NWA came along and even though they are/were (RIP Eazy) all talented rappers the music stopped being about telling a story and more about showing how angry you are. From there it picked up a "gangsta" connotation that became this runaway train that the genre has never tried to shake.

Where in the past you had lyrics like:

"Hard times got our pockets all in chains
I'll tell you what, homeboy, it don't have my brain

To:

I let my tape rock 'til my tape popped
Smoking weed on Bambu, sipping on Private Stock

It just seems like for the last 20 years rap has been nothing but "*******, hoes, 40s, blunts, and thugs" and it doesnt have to be. Im sure there are some talented dudes out that that just want to spit out rhymes

Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What I don't get is how popular this hardcore rap is with the white audience. How can a white kid from the suburbs relate?? Bring back Eminem and I might understand it.
I dont think people even try to relate to music anymore.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:49 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
I don't like rap music. Why would you pay money to hear the n-word, or to hear women being refered to as b-word? In my opinion, it's a degrading art form. You might think I'm too old for rap but, disco was popular in my hay day, and I didn't like that music either. Music is a matter of taste, and in some cases a lack there of.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 05-26-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 08:56 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAyzpLGBI1E&feature=kp

I didn't hear the n-word.
Yes some is inappropriate but it is body moving .

Move your hips Eliza! You need it you want it all over your body.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Default I've never understood the hate people have for rap

I don't hate it, it is a form of expression, but to me it just doesn't qualify as music.
If you can't hum it, or whistle to it, it is not music. It's kinda like the difference
between a 4 year old's stick man drawing and a sculpture by Rodin. Rap just has
no texture.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
I like rap from the late 70s and early 80s. It became crap when they turned gangster.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I like rap from the late 70s and early 80s. It became crap when they turned gangster.
Things like this may very well be a good reason why people have the image of rap that they do:

Tupac's final words revealed by police officer on scene of murder - CNN.com

I've seen the video of Tupac as he left the hotel just before he was shot, kicking the living crap out of some guy who is lying on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music