Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,796 times

Advertisements

Pop music mostly gets a bad rap; it's often not considered "real music," or the artists have little talent other than lip syncing, or JUST singing what others have written, with the ability to do little else. But I find there has been a rise of the "pop talented" in the last decade or so, and I'd like to give them honorable mention. My criteria is that the singers/groups must be able to do at least two of the following with really being able to sing a requirement for all: Be a legitimate singer, write their own music, produce, dance, (as in a good performer) and or play an instrument. Here are a few of my favs:

1. Bruno Mars
2. Sara Bareilles
3. Aloe Blacc
4. Adele
5. John Mayer
6. Florence + The Machine

I was going to add Taylor Swift, but she's technically still listed in the country genre; although she's in the process of crossing over to be officially a pop singer. I never thought her country songs were true country anyway, but pop country.

Okay, who else deserves credit in this genre that sells millions of albums yearly, but but often gets little respect from critics and the public alike?

Last edited by No2Monsanto; 08-26-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Pop music mostly gets a bad rap; it's often not considered "real music," or the artists have little talent other than lip syncing, or JUST singing what others have written, with the ability to do little else. But I find there has been a rise of the "pop talented" in the last decade or so, and I'd like to give them honorable mention. My criteria is that the singers/groups must be able to do at least two of the following with really being able to sing a requirement for all: Be a legitimate singer, write their own music, produce, dance, (as in a good performer) and or play an instrument. Here are a few of my favs:

1. Bruno Mars
2. Sara Bareilles
3. Aloe Blacc
4. Adele
5. John Mayer
6. Florence + The Machine

I was going to add Taylor Swift, but she's technically still listed in the country genre; although she's in the process of crossing over to be officially a pop singer. I never thought her country songs were true country anyway, but pop country.

Okay, who else deserves credit in this genre that sells millions of albums yearly, but but often gets little respect from critics and the public alike?
Bands I'd add to the list are:

fun.
Sleeper Agent
Young the Giant
Walk the Moon
Ra Ra Riot
Passion Pit

And don't forget Sia on the solo artist list.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Sia is one of the few best things in this crappy mainstream media.

Kudos to Bruno Mars too.

Oh, and Lady Gaga is an exceptional artist. She can sing. But I'm just not into her theatrics and flamboyance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music