Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,146,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That's what I can't understand. Why would anyone care about what he has to say about rock music. His music is awful. I really can't think of a worse band than Kiss in the history of rock music.
Creed, Limp Bizkit, Train & Nickleback. KISS is up there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,580,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
The 60s and 70s didn't have the recording capability we have today. I think that plays a big part in it, positively and negatively. Old school rock was raw... Unfiltered. Today it is typically polished, sometimes REMOVING the human element.
So while yesterday's rock and metal was soulful, today's rock is far more technical to play. I think the musicians these days are more talented than in previous generations (at least regarding rock) as well.
I listen to a lot of progressive rock, old and new. Yes, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd were some of my earlier favorites... But give this tune a listen.

TesseracT- Concealing Fate Pt. 1 [Acceptance] (Lyrics In Description) - YouTube

I believe that's the key. The woman I am dating has two teenagers. Most of what they listen to is electronic no one really plays an instrument for all I know said person could be lip singing. I hear re-makes of songs that have bass to them to the point you can't hardly hear them. I believe if you take away the bass & the electronics, you'll be disappointed with what's left. We're still missing the rebellion aspect of rock. It's not gritty or angry. Anyone remember the cover of one of Johnny Cash's record?
He's giving the bird. Let someone try to get away with that these days. Maybe it's I'm getting old too.
Pushing mid 40's & all.

As far has Gene Simmons goes, didn't Kiss break up in 83?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,114,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I read Gene Simmons rant about how rock music died in 1983. while I don't agree with it dying in 83, I do agree that after the 90's it started to go down hill. He's right about something's. Who is going to write the next Stairway To Heaven? When did rock music become lame? No one sings about rebellion or standing up to the man so to speak. I remember one line from Rage Against The Machine. F@ck you I won't do what you tell me. I think we're missing that these days. I do believe the age of rock being rebellious & crass is over. No more bands like Queen, The Who, The Doors, etc. Even the music of the 90's offered us something different even if you didn't care for it. Same with the 80's while some were one hit wonders we had so really good bands back then. To quote a line from one movie I was saw. ( todays bands have no real talent. They have good pitch & are non-threating. I'm not talking about pop or any other genre.
Is rock dead ?
Like you I grew up on the Who (fav Band) the Stones, Led Zep, the Doors, Etc....

in the 70's and 80's we had access to approx 500 to maybe 1000 bands

now we have access to 500,000 or more at our fingertips whatever the genre it's being made today and its being made as well as it ever has been or better. but music doesn't find you or me anymore we have to find it. from about 2007- 09 I went on a hunt to find great music from the 2000's and I searched everywhere, this forum was a big help as was myspace and youtube.

I came away with about 150 bands and artists that I really like.

to answer your ? who's going to make the next Stairway to Heaven, probably no one thats a fantastic tune
but Derek Trucks band or Gov't Mule might make the next Free Bird

Joe Bonamassa reminds me a lot of Jimmy Page

the Black Keys sound a lot like the early Stones

Jack White is an incredible talent (check out the Raconteurs)

the two best albums I found were

Gov't Mule (By a Thread) Southern Rock, best track- Monday Morning Meltdown

Gov't Mule - Monday Mourning Meltdown.wmv - YouTube

the Gaslight Anthem (59 Sound) punk meets Jersey rock. best track Great Expectations

The Gaslight Anthem - Great Expectations - YouTube

HTH

Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,326,341 times
Gene Simmons is the Rush Limbaugh of rock.

Who will write the next Stairway to Heaven? That's a silly question to use as evidence that rock died in the '90s. Nobody wrote another Stairway to Heaven even when rock was supposedly in its prime, so why should any current or future band be expected to?

Rock needs to be rebellious and crass? Stairway to Heaven is neither rebellious nor crass. So, the OP is using a song that doesn't even meet his own criteria as evidence that rock is dead.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:15 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,544,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
There is still great music to be had. I think there is so much more with the advent of the internet, people need to wade through way more stuff to find something they personally like, making it seem like its hard to find. I really miss the spectacle of the good old daze. The 'Stones filling a stadium, a wall of 300watt Ampegs as big as the Berlin Wall behind them, etc . . .
Some concerts used to be real events. I think some country people can draw like that, but the golden age for rock is gone. You have to damage your ears and puke in smaller venues, now

Having spent a number of delightful evenings at Fillmore East I wouldn't dismiss the 'smaller' venues as a bad thing.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:47 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,145,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Like you I grew up on the Who (fav Band) the Stones, Led Zep, the Doors, Etc....

in the 70's and 80's we had access to approx 500 to maybe 1000 bands

now we have access to 500,000 or more at our fingertips whatever the genre it's being made today and its being made as well as it ever has been or better. but music doesn't find you or me anymore we have to find it. from about 2007- 09 I went on a hunt to find great music from the 2000's and I searched everywhere, this forum was a big help as was myspace and youtube.

I came away with about 150 bands and artists that I really like.

to answer your ? who's going to make the next Stairway to Heaven, probably no one thats a fantastic tune
but Derek Trucks band or Gov't Mule might make the next Free Bird

Joe Bonamassa reminds me a lot of Jimmy Page

the Black Keys sound a lot like the early Stones

Jack White is an incredible talent (check out the Raconteurs)

the two best albums I found were

Gov't Mule (By a Thread) Southern Rock, best track- Monday Morning Meltdown

Gov't Mule - Monday Mourning Meltdown.wmv - YouTube

the Gaslight Anthem (59 Sound) punk meets Jersey rock. best track Great Expectations

The Gaslight Anthem - Great Expectations - YouTube

HTH
^ really loved that gaslight anthem album.

and agree with all of the above

Old 10-15-2014, 06:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,631,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I believe that's the key. The woman I am dating has two teenagers. Most of what they listen to is electronic no one really plays an instrument for all I know said person could be lip singing. I hear re-makes of songs that have bass to them to the point you can't hardly hear them. I believe if you take away the bass & the electronics, you'll be disappointed with what's left. We're still missing the rebellion aspect of rock. It's not gritty or angry. Anyone remember the cover of one of Johnny Cash's record?
He's giving the bird. Let someone try to get away with that these days. Maybe it's I'm getting old too.
Pushing mid 40's & all.

As far has Gene Simmons goes, didn't Kiss break up in 83?
Deep, rebellious and angry... I've got just the thing for that!

Observe the breakdown at 0:45 ... absolute devastation.
They are from Australia, but have some serious Pantera influence in them.

Parkway Drive - "Unrest" - YouTube

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM

35,168 posts, read 31,469,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I think I have posted this song somewhere in the music forum before, but it still applies here...
Another song that shows how versatile and talented a band can be.
Lyrics are in the video... You'll need me the first time around.

Ghost of perdition, Opeth lyrics (E&S).avi - YouTube
Opeth can do everything. They are producing higher quality music than virtually anyone of the twenty years.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,844,160 times
Rock being dead, psshhht. How can anyone make such a statement, and compare or use as examples bands from many different subgenres? Stairway to heaven is like soft rock anyway. Saying it's dead means nothing withoit breaking down to the subgenres. Gene Simmons is just mad no one likes hairbands anymore, or no one can rexongnize him without leaving the house looking like Dr. Frakenfurter.

And Train is awesome soft/alt rock...

Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 AM

260 posts, read 300,432 times
Rock is such a loaded term. My grandparents don't think rock is zeppelin,stones or the beatles. They refer to Little Richard,Chuck Berry,Ike and Tina as rock. Rock is not dead because musical art forms rarely die. Is Jazz dead? Is the Blues dead? Heck Big bands aren't technically dead. It's just that rock is not popular as it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music