Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,141,109 times

Advertisements

While this song doesn't fit the OP's request 100% it does fit somewhat. Plus it's an excellent song.

It is the story of a love triangle and friendship gone wrong. In the song Billy Dee and the singer Johnny McGee vie for the love of Carly Sue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqvTqYfppVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,201,093 times
This is more generic than specific in terms of couples. It simply tells the story of a woman out to trap a man and takes place in a dance club.

Susie got your number
And Susie ain't your friend
Look who took you under
With seven inches in
Blood is on the dance floor
Blood is on the knife
Susie got your number
You know Susie says its right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVmZIWDVMSY

Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,321,300 times
I can't believe this one hasn't been posted yet!

So basically this guy has an "itch" he's feeling a desperate need for someone else (besides his wife) to scratch. Apparently, he's bored. He picks up the paper and sees this tempting personal ad. He decides to respond to the other ad by placing his own. He makes plans to meet with the "other" woman. The other woman turned out to be his wife--who had also been experiencing an itch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hf8BJVwdnY

Last edited by picklejuice; 05-07-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 PM

24,313 posts, read 13,164,784 times
^^ I always liked the irony in the previous song.

"Two Sparrows in a Hurricane", Tanya Tucker.

Told entirely third-person, it starts out "She's fifteen and he's barely driving a car/ She's got his ring and he's got the keys to her heart" and ends "She's eighty-three and he's barely driving a car/ She's got his ring and he's got the key to her heart". About an unnamed couple and how they start out young and face tribulations as they get older, but always come through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUsyHVjacJ0

Last edited by SluggoF16; 05-07-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
"Sweet Betsy from Pike"

Crossed the wide prairie with her husband Ike.

"Tom Dooley"

Met her on the mountain, stabbed her with his knife.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:45 PM

It tells the story of Edwin and Claire in all the stages of life from meeting to dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5Uog-MDGo

Old 05-10-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I didn't realize there were so few "story of a couple" songs. I don't know anything about country music, but I kind of figured there would be tons in that genre!

I wish people would stop just posting videos. It's kind of lazy really. We don't want to listen to the songs, just have you tell us a summary of the couple's story. It won't kill you to type a few lines people.

There are a lot of songs written in the third person, but you sort of limited yourself when you said "couple" and "love songs." If you removed that stipulation almost every artist has a story with lyrics in the third person. Dylan and Elton John have quite the list of these songs. Many of Dylan's are true stories. But they aren't love songs.

"Hattie Carroll" Bob Dylan - Tells the true story of Hattie Caroll, a black bar maid with many children killed by an arrogant 24 year old white man and he only got 6 months in jail and thus the song calls attention to racism.

"Death of Emmit Till" Bob Dylan
Tells the true story of Emmit Till a teenage black boy visiting his cousins in another city and someone didn't care too much for the way he looked at a white woman and lynched him.

For the jury found them innocent and the brothers they went free
While Emmett’s body floats the foam of a Jim Crow southern sea

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Elton John Album - The songs, mostly around the theme of nostalgia for a more humble childhood and an older American culture as seen through eyes of the movies,[included "Bennie and the Jets", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting ", using memories of a Market Rasen pub Taupin frequented when younger.

"All the Girls Love Alice" The story of Alice as a lesbian

"Bennie and the Jets" The song tells of "Bennie and the Jets", a fictional band of whom the song's narratoris a fan. In interviews, Taupin has said that the song's lyrics are a satire on the music industry of the 1970s. The greed and glitz of the early '70s music scene is portrayed by Taupin's words.

"Levon" from Madman Across the Water Bernie Taupin, who wrote the lyrics for "Levon", was inspired by "The Band's" co-founder, drummer, and singer Levon Helm to name the title character after him. The Band was apparently John's and Taupin's favorite group in those days. The "Alvin Tostig" mentioned in the song (Levon's father) is, according to Taupin, merely fictional.

The Classic "Ode To Billy Joe" By Bobby Gentry,
who apparently kills himself jumping off the bridge. The song includes the dialog of the narrator's family at dinnertime on the day that "Billie Joe McAllister jumped off the "Tallahatchie Bridge." Throughout the song, the suicide and other tragedies are contrasted against the banality of everyday routine and polite conversation.

So, anyway, if you opened up the topic to include more than just love Songs you'd probably get a greater response.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,321,300 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTSPpyub4g

Man loves woman. Woman is caught "loving" another man. Man #1 stabs woman to death in a crime of passion.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:41 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times

Old 05-10-2015, 04:42 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
OK, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have posted videos before, I can't do it now. It just doesn't work. I'm pretty much pissed and disgusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music