Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,051,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
You have to be careful in a thread like this about super-imposing your own eclectic tastes on history rather than what the real facts bear out.

Truth is, none of the bands you stated as being prime early 90's bands really have much of a following these days, except maybe DMB but they've slid pretty far in the last few years. I never heard of Gov't Mule or Moe and I would bet 99% of the people in here haven't either. Like I said, your own personal eclectic taste in music doesn't match up with the historical record of what most people would consider "the best era of music".

Truth is, big 80's artists like U2, Springsteen, Madonna, and friggin' Bon Jovi still draw massive concert grosses and sell out large venues even 25 years past their prime and I just don't see any 90's band doing that these days. Those are the facts, whether you choose to accept it or not.
Ironically enough, Moe. and Gov't Mule have 2 of the strongest followings of any bands today. They're part of the jam band scene, which has the MOST devoted concert following. Historically the Grateful Dead is the most succesful live band of all time, followed by DMB, then Phish, behind them are the rest of the scene including Moe. (who host 2 of their own MASSIVE music festivals in the U.S) String Cheese Incident, Umphreys Mcgee, Gov't Mule. Just because you haven't heard of those bands doesn't mean they aren't some of the most successful touring bands today. Sure Madonna probably made more money, but Moe. has played for more people, they've played thousands and thousands of shows at well known venues, they're like Phish (the 3rd most successful touring band of all time) but on a slightly smaller scale. REGARDLESS of all of that, we're not talking about what was the most successful are we? We're talking about the best, and the 80's were garbage. I'd also consider Springsteen a 70's artist, seeing as he started performing in 69 and 90% of his quality work was recorded in the 70's. U2, Madonna, and Bon Jovi, well if that's someones idea of music I feel sorry for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
Music speaks to the very core of a person's soul --- in that sense, it's a very simple litmus test of "either it's good or it's not".

Sorry but no amount of dance choreography or Auto-Tuned special effects is going to make a Nicki Minaj or Justin Beiber song appeal to anyone 20 yrs. from now.

Put on a good 80's song and ANYONE of ANY AGE will start humming along and dance to it. That era of music spoke right to the soul.
That's funny, because I equate 80's pop and todays pop pretty equally. the 80's and the 2000's-now are the worst periods for mainstream music by far.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,957,445 times
I'll slide in with the 70s folks- actually about '67 - '77. But you know, there has been a lot of good stuff happening since 2000!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,284,134 times
60's by a mile

Old 05-27-2015, 12:01 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,393,426 times
1770s.

1980s for popmusic.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:05 PM

3,556 posts, read 3,753,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Ironically enough, Moe. and Gov't Mule have 2 of the strongest followings of any bands today. They're part of the jam band scene, which has the MOST devoted concert following. Historically the Grateful Dead is the most succesful live band of all time, followed by DMB, then Phish, behind them are the rest of the scene including Moe. (who host 2 of their own MASSIVE music festivals in the U.S) String Cheese Incident, Umphreys Mcgee, Gov't Mule. Just because you haven't heard of those bands doesn't mean they aren't some of the most successful touring bands today. Sure Madonna probably made more money, but Moe. has played for more people, they've played thousands and thousands of shows at well known venues, they're like Phish (the 3rd most successful touring band of all time) but on a slightly smaller scale. REGARDLESS of all of that, we're not talking about what was the most successful are we? We're talking about the best, and the 80's were garbage. I'd also consider Springsteen a 70's artist, seeing as he started performing in 69 and 90% of his quality work was recorded in the 70's. U2, Madonna, and Bon Jovi, well if that's someones idea of music I feel sorry for them.
Help us all if any decade's best music is jam bands.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:22 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,430,548 times
80s,90s,70s in that order.

You just cannot beat the 80s.. so many rock bands, new wave, pop, rnb just everything!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Help us all if any decade's best music is jam bands.
All I hear is "waaaah, my brains too small to appreciate the mixture of jazz, folk, and rock". Sure Phish can be boring because their songwriting is lacking, but Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter are the greatest songwriting partnership in the history of American music, and Moe. and SCI are great sonwriters, sorry but if I see a band live I don't want it to sound exactly like the album, I want to experience the exploration of live music. That's why people have seen 100's of dead shows, that's why they're the most successful touring band of all time, 3 minute pop songs can suck it.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Looks like it's pretty split, people love the 80's or hate them. Oh well, at least the movies were good in the 80's.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 AM

3,556 posts, read 3,753,719 times
Quote:
All I hear is "waaaah, my brains too small to appreciate the mixture of jazz, folk, and rock". Sure Phish can be boring because their songwriting is lacking, but Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter are the greatest songwriting partnership in the history of American music, and Moe. and SCI are great sonwriters, sorry but if I see a band live I don't want it to sound exactly like the album, I want to experience the exploration of live music. That's why people have seen 100's of dead shows, that's why they're the most successful touring band of all time, 3 minute pop songs can suck it.
Crying into your computer is all you've done since you've been posting here. Projecting your musical interests onto other people is also an inherently boring way to discuss a topic.

Quote:
All I hear is "waaaah, my brains too small to appreciate the mixture of jazz, folk, and rock".

Quote:
great sonwriters,
Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music