Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Final Cut - Masterpiece or Misery
Masterpiece 8 66.67%
Misery 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 PM

863 posts, read 1,200,444 times

Advertisements

Where do you stand on The Final Cut? I know it can be argued that it wasn't really a Floyd Album. No Rick Wright, Gilmour and Waters fighting, some even call it Waters' first solo album. After growing up on The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you Were Here, Animals and The Wall, this brooding concept album took me by surprise.

Maybe it was that particular time in my life but the album really struck a chord with me and 30+ years later, it still does. I think it's one of the most powerful anti-war sentiments ever laid down on vinyl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,632,190 times
Masterpiece. It shows the brilliance of Waters' songwriting skills. The album was really big in the UK when it was released.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 PM

709 posts, read 768,355 times
From one of the most ardent Pink Floyd fans out there - I give "The Final Cut" a thumbs down.

As you mentioned, Rick Wright was gone, but it was rumored Nick Mason was going to be axed next (if he hadn't been already).

Roger Waters should have done this as a solo album. He wrote all the songs, and it was mainly a rant about Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.

The album lacked the subtlety and intelligence of the earlier Pink Floyd concept albums. True, Roger Waters had been writing the lyrics since Syd Barrett was forced out, but David Gilmour wrote the music on many of their most popular songs. There was something great when they combined on a song. I don't think Pink Floyd is really Pink Floyd without either one.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,451,403 times
I don't think it's a masterpiece, but it's not totally awful either. If I were to give it a letter grade I'd probably give it a C+.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,335,685 times
Definitely not a masterpiece, but it isn't bad.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:38 PM

863 posts, read 1,200,444 times
I didn't think to include a third choice. Most of the Floyd fans I know, either love or hate Final Cut. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Instrumentally, it doesn't stack up against most of their earlier efforts though Gilmour does have some nice chops interspersed throughout the album. I've always thought the strength of F.C. came from Waters lyrics......there's some really deep, dark, brilliant stuff on there.

It's definitely not an album for casual listening. I think Final Cut takes a commitment, like watching a movie. It needs to be taken as a whole. Anything less and the whole thing loses it's power.

Interesting video release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU7sFMsTEso

Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,149,530 times
I'm a Gimour fan so I can do without the album. I think the album was Water's poor attempt at recapturing the success of The Wall. I'm glad the band decided not to use the songs on The Final Cut as the soundtrack The Wall.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I'm a Gimour fan so I can do without the album. I think the album was Water's poor attempt at recapturing the success of The Wall. I'm glad the band decided not to use the songs on The Final Cut as the soundtrack The Wall.
I recall reading that the Final Cut started as a soundtrack for "The Wall" movie, but then Roger Wasters started writing more political songs. The one or two songs I liked off the album included David Gilmour on lyrics (and his guitar playing), like "Not Now John."

A little off-topic, but do you have David Gilmour's first 2 solo albums?

Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
I recall reading that the Final Cut started as a soundtrack for "The Wall" movie, but then Roger Wasters started writing more political songs. The one or two songs I liked off the album included David Gilmour on lyrics (and his guitar playing), like "Not Now John."

A little off-topic, but do you have David Gilmour's first 2 solo albums?
I do. And love them. His more recent stuff I can do without.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I do. And love them. His more recent stuff I can do without.
Funny, I thought the same thing. I know he had a CD a few years ago, and the only song I heard was called "On an Island" (or something similar) - not very good. I read one review of the CD that described it as "Bora Bora." His first two albums were great, especially "About Face."

Anyway, back to The Final Cut. I remember as a really, really young kid seeing the video for one of the songs (maybe for "The Gunner's Dream") on MTV. One scene in it had a guy alone loading a pistol with bullets, and I remember thinking this song and video are depressing as heck, even for Pink Floyd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music