Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,348,028 times

Advertisements

The 90's definitely had its signature sound as did any other decade prior. Whether or not you like it is another story (me personally....I don't care for most of the signature 90's sounds like Pearl Jam, Weezer, NIN, etc). But there were still a few gems in the rough that were good songs. Tracks like "Dreams" by The Cranberries, "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star, "Children" by Robert Miles, to name a few still sound as fresh as they did when they first came out. This is what separates the good 'period' songs from the timeless 'classic' ones.

Keep one thing in mind. Every decade up to the 90's was the "anti" of whatever preceded it:

60's bubblegum pop and rock was a backlash to the prudish R+B and big band of the 50's.

70's Classic Rock was a backlash to 60's bubblegum pop and Beatles wannabes.

80's glam/flash/synth was a backlash to 70's bands playing to their amplifiers.

90's organic grunge was a backlash to everything synthetic of the 80's.

Where did we go from there? The 90's were the last decade that had a clear and defined character to it. Post 2000 and everything all sounds the same, regardless of genré. Listen to the top 10 from 2004 and compare it to that of 2015. The songs may be different, but the sounds are by and large the same. And not very creative or all that pleasing to the ears. Almost all are mass produced from about a half dozen basic templates. At least with all of the previous decades, the music sounded like....music.....complete with instrumentation, harmonies, rhythm, etc. Let's see someone try and replicate what I think is arguably one of the greatest albums of all time: "Scarecrow" by John [Cougar] Mellencamp. Every song, every note on that album, from start to finish, is an utter masterpiece that does not sound dated and can appeal to almost anyone. No one can make anything that comes even remotely close to music like that anymore.

I am so starved to hear new music that I would like. And although every once in a blue moon, I'll hear or dig something up that I like. But I otherwise stopped listening to my radio for new music many years ago.

So to answer the OP's question, yes. I think there will be a resurgence in 90's music....eventually. The problem like I said. Is of those four decades, musically, the 90's were probably the worst. That could help explain why we haven't seen the comeback the way 60's-80's music has enjoyed a second life. 90's music just wasn't that great. Most people who connect to it do so because of the sentimental connection to an earlier period in life. Not because they like the music. Big difference.

Last edited by Des-Lab; 08-05-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,922,776 times
Hey its good to see ya Des!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,393,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
60's bubblegum pop and rock was a backlash to the prudish R+B and big band of the 50's.
Big bands disappeared with the bebop craze in the 40s.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:05 AM

5,270 posts, read 6,210,076 times
I just turned 60 this year so my window of music was the 70’s and 80’s which I won’t say was the best but will say those 20 years most likely had the broadest spectrum of bands and performers that could actually play real instruments and fill stadiums very easily and yes I know the Stones and Beatles and others toured in the 60’s but the 70’s saw a phenomenal amount of bands touring. We literally could see a band each week at our Civic center in Providence, RI. Boston, Eagles, Zepp, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas, VH, Journey, Styx, Frampton, etc. Everyone was putting out quality chart busting albums.

Something happened in the 90’s where music became packaged and through technology, innovation and the internet the way we viewed music became different. You still had some great bands but it became harder for them to become relevant past their first or second album and they no longer had the ability to fill stadiums. Pearl Jam is one of those bands that beat the odds to stay mainstream as their following is huge.

My daughters are 12 (we stared late) and I do not see them have any musical interest other than music they see on TIC-TOC. They used to like Taylor Swift but much like their friends they could care less.

It also seems like the only musical acts appearing here locally at our amphitheater’s and small music halls are those groups from the 70’s and 80’s. The only groups that seem to have the ability to fill our stadium and auditorium are those like the Motley Cru tour, Rolling Stones, Guns and Roses, and the like pre-COVID-19.

Now I am not saying music has died but, I think the days of new music in which real instruments are played and the bands can remain relevant enough to fill a stadium are pretty much gone.

You Tube is the new platform for so many musicians now like Post Malone, Billy Eilish, etc. They easily become mainstream now without even having to work their way up through bars and clubs anymore.

So I don’t think the 90’s are irrelevant or insignificant but rather there was a jog 180 degrees where music as we older music lovers know changed. It wasn’t good or bad but rather a pretty big change the way music was accepted and recognized through mainstream outlets.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-08-2020 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music