Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:42 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm feeling a bit depressed because a local radio station just hired a new program director who eliminated the "Big '90s Weekend" that I enjoyed listening to. It was the only radio program I've ever known that focused specifically on the 1990s, and those were my teenage years, so I'm very fond of the music regardless of anybody else's opinion of it.

I've noticed that 1990s nostalgia has never caught on to the degree that 1960s, 1970s and 1980s nostalgia did, and I have a theory about that: It's because neither the "Baby Boomers" nor the "Millennials" were the primary drivers of pop culture that decade. The Baby Boomers were too old to contribute as much to pop culture by then, and the Millennials were still too young to remember or partake in much of it. As a result, neither group has much appreciation for the 1990s, and because EVERYTHING has to be marketed to those two groups, the decade ultimately gets thrown away.

The 1990s were my decade, and I fear they'll just end up forgotten. Then again, most things I like don't seem to be very popular anyway, so I should be used to it. Does anybody else have 1990s nostalgia like I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Be patient and wait another decade.
It´s still too early for 90s nostalgia, it just ended.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM

47,545 posts, read 6,393,945 times
There were plenty of good songs in the 1990s, but for some reason there's not as much nostalgia that has developed for that decade yet.

That develops over time, and it could come about slowly on its own or as a result of some pop culture phenomenon taking people by storm.

For example, I'd say the movie and music from "Grease" with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John helped launch a nostalgia for the 1950s that started in the late 1970s and lasted well into the 1980s.

You also had Ronnie Milsap's "Lost in the '50s Tonight" that captured the longing for what was perceived as more innocent, simpler times.

And of course, the movie "Back to the Future" revisited the 1950s.

In the 1980s, there was still an appreciation for the music of the '60s, but that was a turbulent decade, and people weren't as nostalgic for those times.

These days, I see kids having '80s themed parties. Maybe it's because that's when their parents grew up, and they've been influenced by listening to their parents' music?

So give it a few years, and you may start to see more sentimental attachment to the 1990s and the music of that era.

It was after all, a simpler time in a lot of ways, and was a decade of more economic certainty.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
No. Songs from the 90's won't be forgotten. At least not all. Just like any decade, there were good and bad.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwriter View Post
In the 1980s, there was still an appreciation for the music of the '60s, but that was a turbulent decade, and people weren't as nostalgic for those times.
I'd disagree.. We had a decent resurgence of 60's acts in the 80's.. In '86 The Monkees rode a new wave of popularity with the TV show being reaired on MTV. The Beach Boys made a comeback with Kokomo. Even songs from the 50's would hit the charts again with songs like "Earth Angel".

Then there was the uniquely 80's phenomenon of medleys.. Such as ""Medley: Intro 'Venus' / Sugar Sugar / No Reply / I'll Be Back / Drive My Car / Do You Want to Know a Secret / We Can Work It Out / I Should Have Known Better / Nowhere Man / You're Going to Lose That Girl / Stars on 45"

The 90's, I think, loses something in the music as that was the time that you had the shift from 'pop' music into the separation of the many subgroups of music.

The early 80's especially, the music was so varied. Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton and Alabama were on the pop charts.. Along with bands like Chicago, Foreigner, Boston.. Your classic "pop" stars like Michael Jackson.. The artist so ugly they couldn't put his picture on the album, Christopher Cross.. Mid decade you got into the hair bands.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:37 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd disagree.. We had a decent resurgence of 60's acts in the 80's.. In '86 The Monkees rode a new wave of popularity with the TV show being reaired on MTV. The Beach Boys made a comeback with Kokomo. Even songs from the 50's would hit the charts again with songs like "Earth Angel".

Then there was the uniquely 80's phenomenon of medleys.. Such as ""Medley: Intro 'Venus' / Sugar Sugar / No Reply / I'll Be Back / Drive My Car / Do You Want to Know a Secret / We Can Work It Out / I Should Have Known Better / Nowhere Man / You're Going to Lose That Girl / Stars on 45"

The 90's, I think, loses something in the music as that was the time that you had the shift from 'pop' music into the separation of the many subgroups of music.

The early 80's especially, the music was so varied. Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton and Alabama were on the pop charts.. Along with bands like Chicago, Foreigner, Boston.. Your classic "pop" stars like Michael Jackson.. The artist so ugly they couldn't put his picture on the album, Christopher Cross.. Mid decade you got into the hair bands.

Christopher Cross was NOT that ugly. Just a chubby, homely white guy.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:09 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,927 times
I definitely won't forget the 90's, I had some of the best times of my life during that decade.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:36 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
The 90s started to suck....... Music wasnt as good,digital was ruining the GOOD natural purity of analogue.....

Nothing that good about the 90s,sorry to say.......

Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,800 times
I'm surprised we haven't had as much 1990s nostalgia, considering the usual 20-year rule for pop culture. But perhaps we never really left the last few years of that decade.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The 90s started to suck....... Music wasnt as good,digital was ruining the GOOD natural purity of analogue.....

Nothing that good about the 90s,sorry to say.......
no way Dude
The 90's was a fun time for me. I found great music in pretty much all genres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music