Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 03:43 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

No one will get it since it is a cover version.
I'll post the name tomorrow.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:01 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
Wait wait wait... Here it is. The first clue gave me nothing. The second one however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUJGPBmiLE

Old 12-14-2018, 05:16 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
^^^ That's it, Square Peg! And I'm too late.

I would have had that one.

Square Peg, you've got it nailed!

Old 12-14-2018, 05:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Wait wait wait... Here it is. The first clue gave me nothing. The second one however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUJGPBmiLE
SP, you're a magician. That's it, alright.

I didn't know it existed. Or, if I did long ago, the memory faded completely. It seems most of your wins are the impossible ones. Amazing.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
The second clue contained the same chord change in the bridge that the Left Banke used. I do recall the Four Tops doing this cover, but I didn't hear it very often. Thanks, fellas. And I believe ya, case!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
The second clue contained the same chord change in the bridge that the Left Banke used. I do recall the Four Tops (Walk Away Renee) doing this cover, but I didn't hear it very often. Thanks, fellas. And I believe ya, case!

I thought the second clue was not like the same part of the song by the Left Banke. If it gave you the answer then good. I thought the first clue with drums and the same part of the original were alike and why I posted the cover version. It was not meant as a trick.

I always had trouble understanding the lyrics for their version and the Four Tops version let me understand every word.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

I thought the second clue was not like the same part of the song by the Left Banke. If it gave you the answer then good. I thought the first clue with drums and the same part of the original were alike and why I posted the cover version. It was not meant as a trick.

I always had trouble understanding the lyrics for their version and the Four Tops version let me understand every word.
I agree - I didn't hear Walk Away Renee in that sound at all before knowing what it was. Upon knowing, yes, things fall into place that didn't before.

For all the world, I honestly didn't remember ever hearing that sound. But since the Four Tops version made it to number 14 on the charts, I have trouble believing I actually never heard it. I'd guess I did and just dismissed it as a rip-off of the Left Banke's beautiful song. I did, however, like some of the Four Tops other stuff a lot.

I also noticed the big difference in decipher-ability of the lyrics. Yes, that's a plus for the Four Tops version, but The Left Banke's version was already solidly cemented in my mind as the "real" Walk Away Renee.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 PM

And in my mind the current Jay of Jay and the Americans is not the real one. The real one, original died, and Jay Black is singing on since he lost the rights to "and The Americans."

I saw only one group in person and it was The Four Tops.

Since some of you live on introductions like a gravy train the next one might be an ending and we will see who waves the white flag first.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
And in my mind the current Jay of Jay and the Americans is not the real one. The real one, original died, and Jay Black is singing on since he lost the rights to "and The Americans."

Since some of you live on introductions like a gravy train the next one might be an ending and we will see who waves the white flag first.
I saw three, using the term "group" loosely. The Carpenters, The Supremes, and The Smothers Brothers, for they did a little music along the way with their comedy.

The Smothers Brothers were at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton in about '97. From 150 ft away in the audience, they looked identical to way they did on their TV show 30 years before and their act was the same one. It was a great night. Even then, I chuckled at noticing it was mostly graying and/or balding heads in the audience - including my own.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:58 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:

Well, thanks for giving it away....

I'll be prepared. Let's just hope I'll be around. I'll be patient and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music