Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 07:02 AM

175 posts, read 93,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The OP is in Italy, I suspect there's a distinctly different cultural dynamic at play there versus here with regard to the subject matter.
Yeah,I agree with you,it's a diffrent cultural dynamic,maybe also has something to do with generation,I almsot forget most of CDF members are American and most of you guys are Gen Xer or millenials so I'll get different answer(s),I've also heard many American right wingers like country music before,but many right-winger and "folkish" people from Europe like listening classic music and metal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 05:31 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortituda View Post
I'm a semi-metalhead,but I also listening mainstream music as well,and I don't consider myself as right wing,in fact I'm apolitical,and I'm against racism,xenophobia,ethno-centrism,etc,but I found many "folkish" people love metal or classic music and "look down" mainstream music,why?Are most pop music fans liberal/left wingers?Are there a higher percentage of right wingers among metal fans compare to fans of mainstream music?
Im a right of center guy and I like almost everything including some Hip Hop
I don't know about mostly "right wingers " liking metal .There are some " Left wing anti -fascist " groups big in the PNW ....Redbait
Underdark
Yovel
Gaylord
People like music ,don't put them in boxes

Old 07-25-2020, 05:09 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
I'm a semi-metalhead,but I also listening mainstream music as well,and I don't consider myself as right wing,in fact I'm apolitical,and I'm against racism,xenophobia,ethno-centrism,etc,but I found many "folkish" people love metal or classic music and "look down" mainstream music,why?Are most pop music fans liberal/left wingers?Are there a higher percentage of right wingers among metal fans compare to fans of mainstream music?
It depends on the origin of the "heavy metal" group - a lot of them have roots in Southern Rock. The history of Rock N' Roll goes back to the "South" which originally started with African Americans during the segregated era (e.g. Chuck Berry). This started a wave of white "Rock N' Roll" musicians like Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc. all in the "Bible Belt" region. That genre of heavy metal did spawn an ultra-right, conservative movement with rockers like Ted Nugent or Sam Kineson who played a far-right, anti-communist professor in the classic 80s film "Back to School".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9DO26O6dIg

Here is the ultra, far-right Ted Nugent in his early days. He is an avid hunter and the NRA loves that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beh1ipK3hN0

But there is a branch of heavy metal music that is actually liberal. Iron Maiden has a hit widely popular among indigenous groups called "Run to the Hills" which empathizes with the plight of Native Americans during colonization. There were white British fans who actually complained about the lyrics being negative about European colonization. So, there are left-leaning heavy metal bands with songs that would actually appeal to BLM's protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2f-DP4oGc

As for me, I just like heavy-metal music. But it has been part of the youth counterculture in different forms of protest.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:36 PM

291 posts, read 109,227 times
Quote:
yes, pop stars are liberals so we dont want anything to do with em

Old 08-13-2020, 09:26 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I prefer classic rock and metal from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I am not a fan of most modern music.

At some point, I guess you just get too old.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I prefer classic rock and metal from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I am not a fan of most modern music.

At some point, I guess you just get too old.
me too

Old 08-15-2020, 01:20 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
From an American point of view, the stereotype is that right wingers love country music. Obviously, that isn’t true for everyone.
When it comes to metal,I’ve come across all kinds of politics in it. Punk and hardcore (not metal I know) generally lean towards the left whereas something like black metal espouses conservative viewpoints.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
From an American point of view, the stereotype is that right wingers love country music. Obviously, that isn’t true for everyone.
When it comes to metal,I’ve come across all kinds of politics in it. Punk and hardcore (not metal I know) generally lean towards the left whereas something like black metal espouses conservative viewpoints.
countrys is americas music, its originated here and it (was) popular from when it was a thing in 1900- something to 2005 when i turned to something like hiphop

Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
I’ve never seen a big correlation between music and politics. My wife is a Berniecrat, I’m more of a libertarian type...neither of us really like metal or mainstream/pop music. And I pointedly hate political music, too...I listen to music so that I DON’T have to think about adulting.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:23 PM

396 posts, read 417,411 times
Old thread, I know.

I can see why OP is making the claim that they are. Metal seems to trend more to the right with songs that tend to deal more with realistic themes, even if they can be morbid.

Now Punk trends to the left ,with their views of anarchy and "sticking it to the man".

Modern "Pop" died in the 90's when Grunge/Alt rock killed it. It was replaced by hip hop. God help us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music