Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 02:54 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,116 times

Advertisements

I don’t see it. Perhaps you know some right wingers that happen to be metalheads, but that is not enough to make such assumption. Most right wingers/conservatives I know either listen to mainstream country or do not listen to music enough to be caregorized by any music genre. I also know a couple that like rock/hard rock/metal, specially 70’s/80’s type stuff like Rush, Dio, Maiden, etc.

I for one am as left wing as can be, and so are a group of friends I have and we love metal, punk, grunge, etc.

In my opinion one’s political affiliations doesn’t correlate with the feelings that music and art make you feel for that matter. It’d be stupid if it did and a very sad way of looking at things, specially music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 03:16 PM

834 posts, read 744,045 times
This is such a poor assumption.

As a Republican voting woman under 30, I almost exclusively listen to EDM if anything at all. In the car or at home, it's mostly conservative talk radio or my kid's choice in music.

Sometimes I play classical music. When I was younger, I was into reggae, r&b, rap, etc. Think 311, Dirty Heads, Bizzy Bone, Do or Die, etc. I grew up listening to classic rock from parents and grandparents, so of course went through the obligatory white person classic rock phase. I got to work and Eagles concert once, and loved it. My older husband didn't even know who Joe Walsh was. :/

My liberal husband, who is approaching 40, likes EDM or metal/hard type rock. The ONLY t-shirts he wears are from his extensive band collection and lots of Tool and things with skulls on them that I've never heard of and say things like, "Death clock," or something. He spends most his work day with disturbing rock music on. The man wanted to vote for Bernie.

Both my parents are conservative and have only ever listened to classic rock. My in-laws are highly religious Democrats and say that rock is the devil's music. They exclusively listen to Michael Jackson, Earth Wind & Fire, and Jazz.

I don't know any, "right wingers," who listen to country. At all. None. That's a bizarre stereotype that probably only applies to people in the southern parts of the US.

Neither my husband or I listen to popular contemporary music, and neither of us have since child or teenagehood. I do play Kidzbop for my own children though, to keep then in the l cultural loop, but there's no way I could seriously listen to it, and we often found ourselves chuckling at the stupid lyrics.

I do like to play old classic rock concert videos for my kids to show them the real instruments and voices being used. I want them to be musical, and it encourages that.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:47 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Angry people prefer angry music.
Metal is very angry music style.
Simile in similibus.
Nope...

Its actually been shown that people who listen to music like metal are less angry, and better able to manage it than those who do not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4439552/

Old 07-18-2020, 04:52 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,658 times
I’m conservative and hate metal music and country

Old 07-19-2020, 06:51 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
There's no "one size fits all" here.

I'm conservative and my music tastes are all over the map. I have some Rush, Iron Maiden, and especially Metallica in my collection, but I've also got some Clash, Pink Floyd, and plenty of other stuff that would never be classified as metal.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:19 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
I'm an amateur musician, but fairly serious in my pursuit of music and you've hit on something...

I play rock, blues, jazz, and pop. But I love ALL styles of music. I don't listen to hip hop anymore, but as a youth, it was my fav...

From posting regularly in guitar forums, I have noticed that there is a link between musical genre and political attitude for sure. Here's how I would put it as a ROUGH generality.

Conservative: Classic Rock, Country, Metal

Liberal: Hip Hop, Alternative/Indie Rock, Jazz

Of course, this isn't steadfast. Somebody who is liberal could love Led Zeppelin. But I've noticed that especially with hip hop and jazz, that this is true. And it's for a couple of reasons...

-Location. In the US, musical types are more popular in certain locations and demographics. In areas that are more politically conservative, hip hop and jazz are less popular. Imagine being in middle school or high school, and being around a bunch of similar guys and girls listening to the same genre of music. This is a pretty common occurrence.

-One of the staples for liberals has long been diversity or empowering minorities ... and hip hop is the predominant music for many minorities.

-Back in the 70s, there was almost a divide between jazz and rock. Jazz has been a vehicle for political and social change. So, those who are politically conservative tend to not only steer away from, but despise it. There's a great irony in this as most jazz is based of the great American songbook and rock was once the music of 'social change'.

But no music is more polarizing than jazz and hip hop. Personally, I find it a little sad as a musician. Music genre listening should be based upon what speaks to you, not social or political influences.

Last edited by jobaba; 07-19-2020 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 07:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
It's probably based on a belief in freedom.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:21 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
I have never heard of the association between far right politics (it seems like you are using the term 'right wing' to mean racist/white nationalist) and metal (or classical music), but I don't doubt what you are saying - I have never been into metal so don't know what goes with that subculture.

I couldn't really give you a reason, but I do note that metal bands tend to be overwhelmingly white, whereas most mainstream popular artists tend to be either from racial minorities themselves, collaborate with minority artists, or perform in genres primarily associated with minorities. That could be a bit of a turn-off for your white ethno-nationalist types.

I myself am more into punk rock, which is also very white in terms of artists and fan base, but has always been associated more with left wing politics. Would be interesting to compare the origins and histories of punk and metal and see how they came to have such different political affiliations.
I've been a fan of punk rock and proto-punk rock since in came out. I generally agree that the fan base of proto-punk, punk - peak years from 1975-1978-9, post puck and new wave have a decidedly liberal fan base.

Metal, on the other hand, while being mostly adored by white adolescents, has always seemed more or less apolitical. Usually stoner dudes who don't like school. (Read "Teenage Wasteland" by Donna Gains)

To me, Metal is, or should I say was, mainstream.

Their origins are really not commented at all and I know few people who actually like both genres.

There IS racist, white supremisict music. It sounds very angry and loud. I would not call it "Heavy Metal". Skinheads used to listen to it. Some Skins are racist and others are not.

Heavy metal is not a very popular genre in this century. It was most popular in the 70s-90s, and has been gradually usurped by other genres of music.

Some of us are still self proclaimed Punkrokers, though.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:45 PM

335 posts, read 187,034 times
I see more of a correlation to metal and age.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:47 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
The OP is in Italy, I suspect there's a distinctly different cultural dynamic at play there versus here with regard to the subject matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music