Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

One of my friends said that Jackson had to be considered at the same level as Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot. I said I would have to "think about" the idea that Jackson Browne belongs in the same sentence as the other two. Here's the issue. The overall quality of the singing and songwriting, track to track to album, my well equal or exceed Bob Dylan's. Bob Dylan is, to put it mildly, wanting in voice and guitar technique. My (natural) father pointed out that on Blowin' in the Wind he gets the chords wrong.

Bob Dylan has a slew of songs that are "anthems of his era" which I place from 1961 to 1965. Those include Blowin' in the Wind, Times They Are A' Changing, Like a Rolling Stone and Mr. Tambourine Man. The end of his era, I think, was pretty much self-inflicted; when he "went electric" at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965. According to a book I read, Dylan Goes Electric, he felt a need to be competitive with the Beatles Paul McCartney or George Harrison he's not. He also felt the need not to be a writer of summer camp songs. While Dylan had notable contributions, especially with The Band, I feel his post-Newport and post-motorcycle crash material is several steps below. Also, let's face it, it is hard to listen to two sides of a Dylan album, end to end.

Jackson Browne produced, track for track, better albums and his work may well be overall better than Dylan's. I am not as familiar with Saturate Before Using as I should be. I.e. I don't have that album. For Everyman, I think, was his second. For Everyman and Running on Empty are quite listenable as a whole, unlike Dylan's efforts. Some songs come close to Dylan's best work but none in my view quite exceed it. Obvious candidates are Doctor My Eyes, Before the Deluge, Take it Easy, Running on Empty, Load Out/Stay and some that don't come to mind.

That brings us to Gordon Lightfoot. I feel, aside from his work in the 1980's and 1990's and early 2000's, that his music has the overall consistency and quality of Jackson Browne. He also has the "topping songs"; Early Morning Rain, Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Walls, Rainy Day People, for most people If You Could Read My Mind and Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (I like both but both suffered from being overplayed), Carefree Highway, The House That You Live In and others run close to or exceed the best of Dylan. It's not his fault that he is Canadian and has to work harder at breaking out south of "the border."

That brings me, last but not least, to Neil Young, probably my favorite after Lightfoot. He is also by birth a Canadian but has made much more of an imprint here. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 09:25 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
"My (natural) father pointed out that on Blowin' in the Wind he gets the chords wrong."

what does that mean? he wrote it, how can it be "wrong"?

"I feel his post-Newport and post-motorcycle crash material is several steps below"

this sounds like a musical preference to me and that's fine, your preference works for you. on the other hand the author of the book you cite characterizes the event as a "declaration of musical independence".

Browne is fine but not Dylan level fine, lightfoot does nothing for me.

"Also, let's face it, it is hard to listen to two sides of a Dylan album, end to end.". ok

Old 05-17-2021, 01:56 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
I have never been much of a Dylan fan. I like Lightfoot. There was a good documentary about his career on Netflix, I think. I have never been much of a Jackson Brown fan but I see his appeal.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have never been much of a Dylan fan. I like Lightfoot. There was a good documentary about his career on Netflix, I think. I have never been much of a Jackson Brown fan but I see his appeal.
I watched documentary on Amazon Prime, I think. it's called "If You Could Read My Mind."
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
what does that mean? he wrote it, how can it be "wrong"?
Someone could not execute it correctly in the studio or not be able to. Certain chord progressions, I think, go together and others don't.

Quote:
this sounds like a musical preference to me and that's fine, your preference works for you. on the other hand the author of the book you cite characterizes the event as a "declaration of musical independence".
As if his early works didn't show much "independence." As much as I like Dylan, he was afraid of flaming out after roughly three years in the limelight, much as The Limeliters (pun intended) and the Kingston Trio did. The hootenanny craze was ending and I think his attempt to leap towards rock and roll wasn't totally successful.
Quote:
Browne is fine but not Dylan level fine
Basically I agree. While he was more consistent never hit Dylan's peaks.
Quote:
lightfoot does nothing for me.
ok. But I will say more. Gordon Lightfoot's best stuff did not make it south of the border. His lachrymose (though I am now beginning to like it) If You Could Read My Mind is far from the height of his material, yet, along with Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald it's what most of us here in the states know. Go you Youtube for Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Wherefore and Why. One or both of those might change your mind, as did the rest of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" aside from its 45 RPM hit "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" did. G-d I hated that song.

Last edited by jbgusa; 05-17-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 02:49 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I've never really seen the point of ranking/comparing different artists. They all brought something unique to the picture. Everyone is free to prefer one over another.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've never really seen the point of ranking/comparing different artists. They all brought something unique to the picture. Everyone is free to prefer one over another.
Why do we have a music category at all then, if there is nothing to discuss?

Old 05-20-2021, 11:14 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Depends on what you are ranking. I always think about the art of songwriting as much or more than performing.

Here's a recent list, my guess as to best American/Canadian songwriters. I change my mind about this from day to day. Surely some country artists that belong on the list too.

John Prine
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Neil Young
Gordon Lightfoot
Paul Simon

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 05-20-2021 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-20-2021, 02:03 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why do we have a music category at all then, if there is nothing to discuss?
There's a lot to discuss other than rankings!

Old 05-20-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Depends on what you are ranking. I always think about the art of songwriting as much or more than performing.

Here's a recent list, my guess as to best American/Canadian songwriters. I change my mind about this from day to day. Surely some country artists that belong on the list too.

John Prine
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Neil Young
Gordon Lightfoot
Paul Simon
Well Gordon Lightfoot has written some country and wasn't John Prine primarily country? I guess, for country, you could add Hank Williams Sr. and Dolly Parton.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:50 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well Gordon Lightfoot has written some country and wasn't John Prine primarily country? I guess, for country, you could add Hank Williams Sr. and Dolly Parton.
In his last decades, Prine was more country-oriented. His songs covered many genres. A true genius melodically and lyrically. Very few could write a chorus like John Prine.

All of these artists covered the folk/country/rock territory at one time or another. With the exception of Paul Simon, can't say I remember anything "country" coming from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music