Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:14 PM

3,013 posts, read 1,588,490 times

Advertisements

Apparently it's not just because I'm a "Boomer" that I have little enthusiasm for new music that's come out recently, at least what I've heard on the radio or videos. There are very few breakthrough hits.

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Quote:
The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music. The current list of most-downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the previous century, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police.
Quote:
Never before in history have new tracks attained hit status while generating so little cultural impact. In fact, the audience seems to be embracing the hits of decades past instead. Success was always short-lived in the music business, but now even new songs that become bona fide hits can pass unnoticed by much of the population.

Only songs released in the past 18 months get classified as “new” in the MRC database, so people could conceivably be listening to a lot of two-year-old songs, rather than 60-year-old ones. But I doubt these old playlists consist of songs from the year before last. Even if they did, that fact would still represent a repudiation of the pop-culture industry, which is almost entirely focused on what’s happening right now.
Quote:
The declining TV audience for the Grammy show underscores this shift. In 2021, viewership for the ceremony collapsed 53 percent from the previous year—from 18.7 million to 8.8 million. It was the least-watched Grammy broadcast of all time. Even the core audience for new music couldn’t be bothered—about 98 percent of people ages 18 to 49 had something better to do than watch the biggest music celebration of the year.
How many of these Billboard Hot 100 songs are you familiar with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 12:28 PM

157 posts, read 80,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
Apparently it's not just because I'm a "Boomer" that I have little enthusiasm for new music that's come out recently, at least what I've heard on the radio or videos. There are very few breakthrough hits.

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I have heard none of them. But I do own a digital drum machine and could buy an "auto tune" and simply look up a bunch of vulgar slang expressions on urban dictionary and make crappy modern pop here in the living room.

Watch for me performing it on SNL next week. The crowd will go nuts. It always does.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:38 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,230,747 times
I've heard of one of them. abcdefu. And only because it's used in a lot of tik toc videos. LOL

Old 01-31-2022, 03:39 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,575,429 times
Well, I'm 51. There's still new music I like, but it's not going to find it's way into the Top 40 anytime soon. as for as knowing who is in the Top 100 you shared, I recognize some names, like Adelle, but I'm not a fan. This is music for my kids, both in their early 20s. When I was their age, my parents, especially my dad, put down and made fun of the music I listened to. I vowed never to do that with my kids. And when bands like .fun and Twenty One Pilots were at their peak, I was more likely to crank up the car radio so me and them could jam out to it

Old 01-31-2022, 04:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,509,094 times
I recognized quite a few of the titles, and artists, and I'm gen x. Don't care for some of them (i.e. Bieber, Drake, Chris Brown, Taylor Swift).

I am glad to see The Weeknd dominating, I really love his songs. Also shouts out to my girls Doja Cat, SZA, Dua Lipa, and Billie Eilish.

Honorable mention to track #76, it's very catchy. Makes me wanna dance!

Old 01-31-2022, 05:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,261,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post

Oh yeah, all of them. When I’m not listening to “$25k Jacket” or “Who Want Smoke?” I can be found blasting other instant classics like “IDK that *****” and “Poochie Gown” in my Honda Civic.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:55 PM

45,760 posts, read 27,410,412 times
I think it's because there is so much out there that grabs people's attention.

People can easily make their own playlists and be their own DJ.

There are a ton of DJ's out there now - and their skills are to the point where they are creating new music productions live on the fly. They play music about 1-2 minutes before going to the next track.

Cursing in music is way more normal and the content is less often family friendly. I like the music for "Rain On Me"... do I want to sing about getting drunk? Not really... NPR said WAP was the song of the year when it came out. Really? No thanks.

Just a few thoughts...

Last edited by DRob4JC; 01-31-2022 at 11:15 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 08:37 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,726,792 times
People just don't connect emotionally with bleeps, blips, fake autotuned vocals. Today's music isn't even music. It's drivel just to help with a gym workout in your expensive spandex hoping to be seen so it can boost your ego.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:14 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,531,001 times
The post should read what’s wrong with new POPULAR music.

My last 10 albums saved on Spotify are all from new rock bands including Idles, Fontaines DC, Shame, Midi, Parquet Courts, and other not so new but still relevant today like Volbeat, Gojira, and Mastodon.

I am not sure why anyone in this day and age would care about what’s Billboard popular. I am completely unfazed about anything that’s considered top of the charts. I seldomly, if ever, come across any of that music.

I listen to pop music, but from artists I already like, like Adele and Bruno Mars, but is never because is popular, just because I have a deep respect of the artists.

I have a nephew that’s a teenager and he is a huge trap/hip hop fan, but he is really into Zeppelin and Nirvana, go figure. The reason being that those bands have trascended the genre and their form, they are just staples of pop culture like Queen, Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, etc. (basically any band whos Tee you can find on Target).

With the abundance of options and mediums that we as consumers of music have to customize our listening and visual experience, I just don’t see the relevance of Billboards, Grammys, Radio, etc., etc., etc.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:09 AM

19,779 posts, read 20,373,417 times
We're on the decline here, it's just your typical downfall of civilization...probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music