Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 06:45 PM

4,740 posts, read 3,057,491 times

Advertisements

As time has gone by, I've discovered other genres well worth exploring,
but the genres I embraced in my teens ('60s Rock and Prog Rock)
are still my musical Home Room today.

My hypothesis is that many of us "absorb" the music we heard around us in our teens.
It not only becomes familiar to us (so we still enjoy hearing it years or decades on),
but it perhaps molds our sense of what music "ought to" sound like... so that later,
when we hear something very different, we might say: "ehh, that's no good."

Obviously, this isn't a comprehensive theory... it doesn't explain why I like one '60s artist
and don't like another, or like some songs by a particular artist, but not others, etc.

Last edited by NW4me; 08-17-2022 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 08:03 PM

45,577 posts, read 60,888,863 times
No different than any other generation. The Silents still listen to 1950s music, the WWII was Big Band/Bluegrass/Jazz/My horse just died Country.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:46 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,236,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The answer is because the 1960s/70s were such a prolific period of amazing music there is so much left to discover. Thanks to many online deep cuts 70s stations I have been blessed to hear for the first time some incredible music that passed me by the first time around 40+ years ago.

Today's new music is really awful. Not worth wasting your time on or pretending to like just to appear "relevant" to your peers.
I actually feel bad for people like you. There are so many amazing musicians and amazing music out now that you will never seek out to hear. I am so thankful to be alive in this time with 100 years and counting of recorded music.

As to the OP, I think it is because for most people it isn't so much the music they like but the nostalgia and good feelings it provides.

Music aficionados seek out new music regularly.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,236,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I think people get stuck in a rut because they refuse to open themselves up to exploring new music. They have made a decision that it's all bad and don't wish to prove themselves wrong.

Music was not quantitatively better or worse in any particular era, it's just that music has a way of attaching itself to memories and for many people their teenage years especially feel like a better time, a carefree time. So the music of that particular time is deeply embedded in and associated with those nostalgic feelings.

There is nothing wrong with that, it's perfectly normal but I do get annoyed by people saying there is nothing good outside of their era of choice. It's extremely narrow minded and dismissive of people like me who really love music from all different periods and still find music to enjoy to this day.
Exactly!

Old 09-08-2022, 01:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,216,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I like Spectrum too, but also classic vinyl. I love Blackberry Smoke, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Warren Haynes, SRV, just a combo of old and new.

I'm 70 and have always loved music, not just my era!
I recently discovered them. :-) I enjoy them quite a bit.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:45 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,846,436 times
I think for some people, it's not so much the era, or not just the era, but the type of music- especially those "NeW MuSiC sUckS" uncultured philestines. I've heard music from the sixties, and I do like the Beach Boys, but to me, there was too much soft ass rock back then. Those people would probably like bands that come real close to some of those bands, like Train, or Gin Blossoms, if they'd give them a chance. Or some early grunge like Mother Love Bone. Most people don't even try to explore music, There are bands I'd jever know about, if it weren't for me letting random videos play, or checking out suggested videos, like The Codine Velvet Club, on YouTube.

I mostly listen to 90s and early 00s music, but when I find something I like, I download it, and mostly rock. There's good music all through the ages, if you know where to look... and actually look. And people always going on about how they don't like rap or hip-hop, outside of simply not liking the genres, don't have at least one song they might like, just don't make sense. And it doesn't make you regal or all sanctified, or one of the popular kids, because you brag about not liking rap, or hip-hop.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:20 PM

878 posts, read 638,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Otto Sweet Heart View Post
The only thing that I have to complain about is the fact that several of my favorite singers are not even here anymore.

Northern Calloway (David from the Sesame Street children's show)
Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys
Billy Joe Royal
Hal Ketchum

God bless you and their families always!!!

Holly
I am ashamed to admit that I forgot to include Joe Diffie on this list.

God bless his family always!!!

Holly (one of his many fans)

P.S. I hate it so much that all five of these awesome gentlemen are gone.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:51 AM

42,005 posts, read 75,401,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
My hypothesis is that many of us "absorb" the music we heard around us in our teens.
It not only becomes familiar to us (so we still enjoy hearing it years or decades on),
but it perhaps molds our sense of what music "ought to" sound like... so that later,
when we hear something very different, we might say: "ehh, that's no good."
That's funny, because I really don't like, or only selectively like, most of the music I grew up with in the 70s. I still listen to Steely Dan, Doobies, America, the Stones, Poco, Michael Stanley Band, the Moody Blues, Linda Ronstadt - throw in Dreamboat Annie, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, a couple Chicago or ELO songs, a few guilty pleasure pop singles, and I'm good for that era.

The rest of it - nope. Once I got to college in the late 70s and was exposed to the Clash, the Police, Talking Heads, the Cars, B52s, the Ramones, my musical tastes changed almost completely. I still seek out new music whenever and wherever I can - and social media makes it so much easier to inflict my tastes upon unwitting friends!

Old 10-28-2022, 06:25 AM

2,229 posts, read 784,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am a baby boomer who sees so many my same age uninterested in listening to any music other than the rock they grew up with? Why is that? Doesn't it get boring?

I grew tired of 70s music long ago. I first started listening to older music....big band, standards, bop, etc. I also started listening to some country. Of late, I've been listening to a substantial amount of hip hop and of newer artists of the "singer/songwriter" genre. I only listen to a 70s tune now and then for nostalgia sake. But to listen to nothing but? How can people stand the repetition?
I'm in my 30's and listen to all these 60's and 70's classic rock bands, but lately I've discovered Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys, Rhianna and electro dance music etc..

Last edited by Metamorphosis69; 10-28-2022 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-08-2022, 02:05 PM

2,229 posts, read 784,562 times
I'm 32 and listen to a lot of 60-70's stuff but also modern stuff. Not so much country or hip/hop though...but I like Eminem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music