Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 09:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times

Advertisements

I am a baby boomer who sees so many my same age uninterested in listening to any music other than the rock they grew up with? Why is that? Doesn't it get boring?

I grew tired of 70s music long ago. I first started listening to older music....big band, standards, bop, etc. I also started listening to some country. Of late, I've been listening to a substantial amount of hip hop and of newer artists of the "singer/songwriter" genre. I only listen to a 70s tune now and then for nostalgia sake. But to listen to nothing but? How can people stand the repetition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 11:38 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
You ask an interesting question

I can't speak for anyone else but I love music. Period. I can listen to any decade and find something that I like. Even different genres ... although rap still isn't a favorite of mine. Except for Eminem.

Just speculation but I think a lot of boomers like the music of the 70's because it reflects a good time in their life. Maybe the best time and that's kind of sad.

It's good that you don't stay stuck in the past when it comes to listening to music. Just like anything, there's good and bad. Weed through the bad songs and enjoy the good ones. And never limit yourself to one genre either when there's a smorgasbord of great music out there

Old 07-08-2022, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
For me there just hasn't been anything since that was as good as the 70's music, with the great guitar and keyboard work, such as Pink Floyd, Santana, Frampton and Led Zeppelin. Still, I agree that one gets tired of the same thing over and over. We have listened to some of the more rock-like country music, but just can't get into older music, or hip-hop. Most of the time in the car we switch off between listening on Sirius channels Hits 1 on 2", and "70's on 7".

Old 07-08-2022, 01:49 PM

875 posts, read 635,137 times
The only thing that I have to complain about is the fact that several of my favorite singers are not even here anymore.

Northern Calloway (David from the Sesame Street children's show)
Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys
Billy Joe Royal
Hal Ketchum

God bless you and their families always!!!

Holly

Old 07-08-2022, 02:15 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
I'm a boomer who loves my rock n roll, but I know what you mean. I live in the St. Louis area of Missouri, and we have a famous rock n roll radio station, KSHE. Well, back in the day, KSHE played ALL the rock n roll, but now, they play what corporate tells them to play, so most days, they play the same ol same ol. AC/DC, Zeppellin, Bon Jovi, Journey come to mind. THAT gets boring.

But now there's another station I listen to, which plays 'alternative' rock, so I have something to switch back and forth with in my drive time.

But as an adult, I've grown to like other genres now too. I LOVE Zydeco, swamp rock and swamp pop for example.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
I’m not a boomer, but here’s my 2 cents because my kids say I listen to the same artists much of the time.

I love all kinds of music except rap/hip hop. We listen to classical, country, pop, Broadway, every decade, every genre…We truly enjoy a variety of music.

A great song is a great song is a great song.

What really gets me, however, is an amazing singer. When I find someone whose voice is *to my ears* close to perfection, I do tend to listen to them repeatedly, because it’s so rare.

My list includes:

Elvis
Karen Carpenter (The Carpenters)
George Michael
ABBA
Josh Groban
George Strait
Wynonna Judd
Ella Fitzgerald

There are also certain instrumentalists I listen to over and over.

Should new singers come out who have the same vocal impact then I will also enjoy listening to them. Examples for me would be Adele and Adam Lambert…but then I don’t always enjoy their style.

Then there are recent artists whose songs I like such as Michael Buble, but his voice (while nice) is IMO not particularly exceptional.

That leaves me all in all content listening to my favorites.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:39 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am a baby boomer who sees so many my same age uninterested in listening to any music other than the rock they grew up with?
I really disliked having music conversations with people who quit listening to new bands after 1979 - I'd be all "Yeah, I know John Barleycorn Must Die is a good album, but we've listened to it over and over again and have you heard the Talking Heads' latest? It's pretty damn cool!" And my friends would look at me like I'd sprouted horns and put on another Who album.

Fast-forward to 30 years later, and I found myself listening to the same bands over and over again that I listened to in the 80s and 90s, and complaining about the state of today's music. I had turned into that person I used to despise. And there's so much good, new music out there; it's just not presented to us on the radio the way it was once.

I now pay more attention to Sirius stations such as XMU and Alt Nation that play new music, and the Underground Garage and Spectrum that play a mix of new and old music, Spotify recommendations, and online radio stations.

I'm hearing new material from old favorites, but more and more am listening to new bands. My music purchase budget is approaching 1990 levels. LOL

Old 08-08-2022, 10:00 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I really disliked having music conversations with people who quit listening to new bands after 1979 - I'd be all "Yeah, I know John Barleycorn Must Die is a good album, but we've listened to it over and over again and have you heard the Talking Heads' latest? It's pretty damn cool!" And my friends would look at me like I'd sprouted horns and put on another Who album.

Fast-forward to 30 years later, and I found myself listening to the same bands over and over again that I listened to in the 80s and 90s, and complaining about the state of today's music. I had turned into that person I used to despise. And there's so much good, new music out there; it's just not presented to us on the radio the way it was once.

I now pay more attention to Sirius stations such as XMU and Alt Nation that play new music, and the Underground Garage and Spectrum that play a mix of new and old music, Spotify recommendations, and online radio stations.

I'm hearing new material from old favorites, but more and more am listening to new bands. My music purchase budget is approaching 1990 levels. LOL
I like Spectrum too, but also classic vinyl. I love Blackberry Smoke, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Warren Haynes, SRV, just a combo of old and new.

I'm 70 and have always loved music, not just my era!

Old 08-08-2022, 10:11 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am a baby boomer who sees so many my same age uninterested in listening to any music other than the rock they grew up with? Why is that? Doesn't it get boring?
I love this guy. MAN I hate it too. Especially with all the ways we have to find new music. My father in law... nothing but 60's oldies., Still. Woman I work with...child of the 80's... listens to 80's all day at work. Like HOW? How can you still listen to NOTHING but that?
I'm an 80's child... if I never hear Stairway to Heaven again, I'm good with that. or Tom Sawyer...
I don't care what you are into there is someone out there today making music you would enjoy.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:16 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
The answer is because the 1960s/70s were such a prolific period of amazing music there is so much left to discover. Thanks to many online deep cuts 70s stations I have been blessed to hear for the first time some incredible music that passed me by the first time around 40+ years ago.

Today's new music is really awful. Not worth wasting your time on or pretending to like just to appear "relevant" to your peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music