Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eastcoast Rap or WestCoast Rap Which is better?
EastCoast 130 61.90%
WestCoast 80 38.10%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,696,335 times

Advertisements

Here's an underground rapper from Jersey City.

Originially Brooklyn we go hard, but so many covers were made, jersey was one of them.

it's hot

YouTube - Jersey Go Hard - Bizz aka Prince of New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,744,456 times
Clipse

YouTube - Clipse - Grindin

Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,690,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Okay... Underground hip hop influences are all over the East coast as well, just because there is a lot of famous people from the east doesn't mean it dosn't have a HUGE underground scene.
Yea, CA has hip hop areas... but it's mainly compacted in one area. Underground or not, it's strictly in one area.
And i do understand that there is other parts of CA with hip hop scenes around oakland and the bay area, but come on, it just can't touch NYC, Philly, Newark, or Baltimore.

Yea, just beacause it has it doesn't mean it's a buffet of it.
I wasn't saying they don't have an underground scene(they have a great one) but it doesn't hold a torch to the West Coasts. And no completely wrong it is not compacted in one area,It may look like that from NJ but that's simply not the case.
All of California (Literally from the Rural parts way up North,to San Diego) has a thriving immense underground hip-hop scene that variety and talent wise can't be matched by any of the cities you listed. I'm a hip-hop fan btw not much of a rap fan and I grew up on the old school and while the east has always had it's grimy,gritty sounds it's just not what I like these days. For what I like (uplifting hip-hop,politically conscious hip-hop and just day to day real hip-hop) It's not comparable. I do LOVE the east coast scene though,I really do,I'm just being real.
And Portland and Seattle(Even Nevada and Arizona if were including them) have great scenes as well,I just don't know enough about there scene or artists except for a few to really elaborate.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,499,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Here's an underground rapper from Jersey City.

Originially Brooklyn we go hard, but so many covers were made, jersey was one of them.

it's hot

YouTube - Jersey Go Hard - Bizz aka Prince of New Jersey
do you think jay-z stole the idea for this song that is going to be on the blueprint 3?

YouTube - Jay-Z ***NEW MUSIC 09*** OFF BP3 - Brooklyn (Go Hard) Video SEE HERE FIRST!!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Here's a nice rapper out of Boston most people haven't heard of

YouTube - headaches-Black Element
and my favorite rapper out of Philly(along with Freeway)

YouTube - Reef The Lost Cauze-Still I Rise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWYJB...eature=related

Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
do you think jay-z stole the idea for this song that is going to be on the blueprint 3?

YouTube - Jay-Z ***NEW MUSIC 09*** OFF BP3 - Brooklyn (Go Hard) Video SEE HERE FIRST!!
Nah,Newark said it was a cover,and if you listen the first the he said in the song is "Im jackin for beats"

Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 PM

And the best group out RIGHT NOW is Slaughterhouse with Joe Budden from Jersey Royce from Detroit Joell Ortiz from NYC and Crooked I from Long Beach.
IMO,talent wise the group is Crooked>Royce>Joell/Joe

YouTube - Slaughterhouse - Move On

Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,280,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
And the best group out RIGHT NOW is Slaughterhouse with Joe Budden from Jersey Royce from Detroit Joell Ortiz from NYC and Crooked I from Long Beach.
IMO,talent wise the group is Crooked>Royce>Joell/Joe

YouTube - Slaughterhouse - Move On
Joe is the ****! I had his song on my myspace for a whole minute. Royce is like that too.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,635,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston/New Orleans is what put the south on the map though.
Actually, Miami and Houston put the South on the map. New Orleans was the one that really broke through.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,280,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, Miami and Houston put the South on the map. New Orleans was the one that really broke through.
If you say so, but most people will say it was Houston. Miami was making music, but it wasn't gaining the attention like Houston did with the Geto Boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music