Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,019 times

Advertisements

Thanks I'll look into them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
you people are ridiculous. there was garbage music in the seventies, eighties, nineties and today. even music that was popular and people did not consider to be bad. there were a LOT.

at least today pop, rap and r&b has expanded beyond it's narrow definitions and there is more to choose from.
Well said.

It cracks me up to hear how great the 70's were, not because the music wasn't great--of course, much of it was--but the nostalgic way 70's fans look upon that decade with such fond regard, glossing over crap that did indeed exist, has *always* existed.

I just spent a weekend in New Orleans (http://thevoodooexperience.com/2009/index.php - broken link) and heard wonderful music.
I wasn't there for the headliners, I was there for the lesser known bands.

passionatearts says:
Quote:
So, to answer the thread question: I think we're actually in one of the best eras for music but in one of the worst eras for discovering the good stuff through mainstream media outlets.
I agree.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Not to hijack my own thread, but you can also look at movies and say the same thing. I find low budget, not even at your local theatre movies alot better than many mainstream films.

Back to topic...anyone heard of Coheed and Cambria? They put out good tunes, imo.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
So this old man doesnt get got up in an argument over something that really just comes down to personal taste, I will only say that as we have gotten further down the road from the 60's and early 70's, music seems to have lost alot of originality. It would be ridiculous to say that there arent any bright spots in todays music though. Josh Stone. John Mayer. Green Day. But all in all it all sounds pretty much the same to me.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I will agree that the 1960s, with maybe a bit of the late 50s, was actually a pretty great era for music and probably better than now. This is not because I admire the 1960s, in many ways I think it was a horrible period (granted I was born in 1977), or because I deny that there was a great deal of crud in the period.

It's because the big stuff in the 1960s seems to be surprisingly popular even among the youth today. Kids today are much more likely to enjoy the Beatles or Hendrix than I think kids in the 1960s were to enjoy the Mills Brothers or Rudy Vallee. Granted part of that is that WWII and the "Baby Boom" caused a big dislocation than nothing else since maybe has. Still I think the 1960s was a period of major cultural transition, which made it a rather screwed-up time to live but also made it artistically/creatively exciting.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think 1973-1978 is traditionally considered about the worst period. That doesn't mean the period totally lacked good music, but it had a good deal of stuff that's seen as actively bad. It was also a somewhat unique period in that, in a relatively short period, many of the great musicians or bands of the previous period had broken up or collapsed due to drug addiction

The 2000s don't seem particularly good to me, but sometimes it's hard to evaluate a decade when you're in it. I do like a fair amount of indie and world music from this decade.
true the early 90's had really good grunge and some good rock bands then around 95-96 all major music went to pop with the spice girls, brittney spears and backstreet boys all topping the charts and thats when it changed for me.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I can tell ya one thing though late at night when my girlfriend is out no one is around I sometimes jam laday gaga's poker face

I like only her Just Dance and find Poker Face to be pretty boring. It seems like people are divided into three groups:
1. who love Poker Face
2. who love Just Dance
3. who hate everything Lady GaGa sings
Lol

Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I would love you to PM me some good albums man. Im still stuck between Floyd, on to Sabbath on to Sublime and Third eye blind. I would love some refreshing new music
to anyone who thinks there's no good music being made today, you're not working hard enough, whatever type of music, you're into it's being made today and being made well.

Go to MySpace, select a genre and check it out. I began doing this a few months ago, I already have found about 100 bands I really like.
I also frequent this board, and if there's a band listed that I haven't heard of b4 I check them out, I'm about to go check out Interpols list.

I'm an old 70's rocker myself and this is one of the best albums I've ever heard:

the Gaslight Anthem-the 59 sound album

other bands to check out:

Carbon Leaf
Coconut records
Derek Trucks band
Fleet Foxes
Joe Bonamassa
Matt Costa
Needtobreathe
O.A.R.

to name a few

Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times
This era is in my opinion, one of the best for music. However, mainstream music this decade has been at its at its worst (however 2009 in particular hasn't been so bad.. electro-pop is better than the rap and R&B that dominated 2003-2008). There are tons of excellent bands, singers that you can find on music websites. Back when the Internet didn't exist.. you were spoon fed what the TV or magazines told you were good music. Now you can find bands from all over the world. There is a ton of 80's revival going on right now if you search for it. I think Classic Rock is pretty much dead though.. There are tons of Indie Rock, Alternative Rock, Southern Rock bands though...

Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
I absolutely LOVED the new Phoenix album. I agree. If you know how to look for it, some music right now is pretty amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music