Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times

Advertisements

Years back in college [UMR - Rolla, Missouri], had the awesome pleasure of seeing these guys perform... blew me away. Had already a couple albums [yea, albums... those round black discs of plastic with grooves ], but seeing Michael and company perform live... wow. MSB has thereafter and since and always are in my top 10 most favourite est musicians. This thread is dedicated to Michael and the rest of the great artists that have shared stage and studio:
* Michael Stanley – guitar, vocals
* Jonah Koslen – lead guitar, vocals (1974–1977)
* Daniel Pecchio – bass, vocals (1974–1979)
* Tommy Dobeck – drums
* Bob Pelander – keyboards (1976–1987)
* Gary Markasky – lead guitar (1978–1983)
* Kevin Raleigh – keyboards, vocals (1978–1987)
* Michael Gismondi – bass (1979–1987)
* Rick Bell – saxophone (1982–1984)
* Danny Powers – lead guitar (1983–1987)

Thanks guys for the tunes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBKBVW_VcR0

And also, to the latest and greatest incarnation of Michael's troubadours, aka The Resonators :

Tommy Dobeck - drums
Bob Pelander – piano/vocals
Danny Powers – guitar/vocals
Jennifer Lee – vocals/percussion
Rodney Psyka – percussion/vocals
Marc Lee Shannon – guitar/sauce
Eroc Sosinski – bass/vocals
Paul Christensen – sax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Default Rosewood Bitters

"And the rosewood bitters helps me meet the sunshine in the morning, and the rosewood bitters helps me through the night when I feel blue."

Not enough people know who Michael Stanley is these days, but there are a few of us who discover a diamond in the rough. One of my favorite haunts for used, rustic (and I MEAN rustic) basic cool used record shops was the old Record Revival in Denver on south Broadway. When I wasn't barnstorming the Woolco's, Woolworths, and other discount houses (we're talking 2 decades before Walmart)buying the beejeebers out of cutout mono lp's, I was in Record Revival twice a week scarfing up on used lp's and 8 tracks.

The owner of the store had a few connections for product, and one who he befriended was a guy involved with Tumbleweed Records, a small label based out of Denver on north Gilpin Street. I thought I'd take a chance on this Michael Stanley guy. The album cover had him strumming a guitar while sitting on a bench in a train station. What a treat! His first lp was an absolute treat! "Rosewood Bitters" was SUCH a good song. So was a hauntingly beautiful number called "Denver Rain".

Later that fall the lp Friends and Legends was released on MCA. They moved to Epic a couple years after that, then
EMI, and Arista. It's sad that more people didn't discover him, but he plays around a lot in the midwest, and still records. I caught a youtube on his song "Rosewood Bitters", saw a GREAT 8 minute version of it! Thirty six years after his initial release, he still records and tours. I love his music.

"Too long on the road my friend, too long between rides"
"Too long between homes again, too long without someone by my side"

Thanks Shadowcaver!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-17-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I'm afraid I only know one song--"He Can't Love You".

Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
You're not alone, TKramar. Me, too. Good song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bam...eature=related

(I especially like how the nurses shimmy at the end! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm afraid I only know one song--"He Can't Love You".

Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I sure do remember them. Michael Stanley Band toured with Styx during their Grand Illusion tour. I seen Michael Stanley in Asbury Park, NJ back in 1978. Home of Bruce Springstein and The famous Stone Pony. We were there to see Styx of course. Who ever heard of Michael Stanley anyway?

They walked out like all the rest of the warm up bands but that is where the "all the rest" ended. Yes they blew us all away. I remember these words 30 years ago. He said "You may not have heard of us before but by the time tonight is over you will". To that they opened with the old Hollies song "Carry Ann". I still sing that song to myself.

Unfortunatly it was the last time we heard of them. They died out quickly, at least they never toured my part of town anymore. The Ohio college football team still uses Stanleys "My Town" as their theme song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music