Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,994,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I think you are romanticizing this era. That hasn't been true since the birth of MTV. If your statement is true, could you please explain Milli Vanilli?

When it was proven Milli Vanilli lip synced, they had their grammy taken away from them. It is common knowledge that Britney and Beyonce lip sync, and yet no one seems to mind.

Welcome to the 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,569,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Thing is, back than, THEY DIDN'T LIE TO THEMSELVES THAT THEY COULD SING.

exactly, like Sting said, the Sex Pistoles not only didn't deny that they couldn't really play thier instruments but revelled in the fact that they couldn't.

what was most important was thier attitude and what the songs meant. Not how they looked, they were what they were. There was honesty there.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,291,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
When it was proven Milli Vanilli lip synced, they had their grammy taken away from them. It is common knowledge that Britney and Beyonce lip sync, and yet no one seems to mind.

Welcome to the 2000s.
The problem with Milli Vanilli was not that they lip synched. People have been lip synching live performances since television began. What caused them to lose their grammy was that it wasn't even them who had done the singing in the first place.

Welcome to the eighties/nineties.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
The problem with Milli Vanilli was not that they lip synched. People have been lip synching live performances since television began. What caused them to lose their grammy was that it wasn't even them who had done the singing in the first place.

With all the technology they use to make it sound like Britney, Beyonce and the rest can sing, plus the lip synching, they might as well not be singing their own music at all. I mean, at least Milli Vanilli were stripted of the award, while Beyonce keeps hers and no one minds that she can't sing.

Quote:
Welcome to the eighties/nineties.
In the 90s, we had Smashing Pumpkins, Depeche Mode, Nirvana (even though I never cared for them) Soundgarden, TLC, Stone Temple Pilots, Garbage, SWV, and a whole host of other bands and groups with real talent on the top ten. Now adays? No such luck.

Although I will readily admit that the 80s, a decade I spent mostly in diapers, was allot better musically.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,658,600 times
The Grammys suck anyway who cares who wins them? I can't believe I have lived to see a day where someone said the 80's had great music. I remember thinking what crap most of it was at the time. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,837,058 times
Even when I was in high school back in the 80s I could sense that music was less important to people than it was a decade earlier. At the time I think that MTV hurt music because it became more about image than talent. Of course we can't blame MTV today since they air horrible reality shows like Jersey Shore instead of playing music.

One thing that I do disagree with is blaming pop music. Keep in mind that there has ALWAYS been pop music co-existing with quality music. When the best rock (and R&B) music that stands the test of time was current there was silly bubblegum music that the critics looked down on yet sold millions of records. What I think is happening today is that the pop music such as Lady Gaga is at a higher level than it's been in years, yet there is little music outside the pop realm that is making an impact. Either there are simply less talented artists out today OR the public wouldn't be interested in it or have any appreciation for it in this era.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 PM

8,812 posts, read 10,275,821 times
Mainstream music IMO has been going downhill at a fast rate since 2006. Thanks to YouTube, MySpace, American Idol, etc., these generic artists that make millions off young kids by singing how their "shawty wants some of that good-good" are just gonna keep coming and coming.

FWIW I really have no idea why some people will go to extreme lengths to defend some of these artists. I remember when Chris Brown first came out around 2005 and I made a post in another forum about how I thought the guy was generic and that he sounded like a 12 year old. Within 5 minutes I had angry posters coming at me left and right telling me things like "You're a jealous hater" and "You should just go listen to emo music you (can't say the phrase here)". Quite the insecure crowd.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 01-18-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,934,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The Grammys suck anyway who cares who wins them?
I quit caring about the Grammys when U2 won a Grammy as Best New Group---three years after they were a new group.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Mainstream music IMO has been going downhill at a fast rate since 2006. Thanks to YouTube, MySpace, American Idol, etc., these generic artists that make millions off young kids by singing how their "shawty wants some of that good-good" are just gonna keep coming and coming.

Like I said, when I was a youngster, "wayyy back" in the late 90s, we had all of that crap too, and most of us hated it. The difference between now and then is that back then, you were cool if you listened to music that was not on the top 40 and liked something no one ever heard of. Now adays, kids refuse to listen to anything that is not on the top 40 and liking something even slightly underground makes one "weird".

Things have changed...what ever happened to that good old, underground "DESTROY!!!!!!!" music?

How did we go from this in my generation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvZqWq0ZNjk

To this in the current generation?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-bCN2ur3pg

Sometimes, I think Al-Quaida should just go ahead and nuke America, and take us out of our misery...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,025,181 times
Here's what I don't get about this whole thing. Unless you are doing R&D on wether or not you can make some serious $$$$ off these Top40 crap-pop loving "mean" kids....who gives a rat's arse anyway?

The LCD is a fact of life unfortunately.

It really does seem like either your fave dark/industrial/dance club either fired your favorite DJ or perhaps they stopped doing the night all together?

I never thought I'd see anyone put KMFDM and Ashlee Simpson in the same thread, that's for sure. I'll give you points for genre mixing within the confines of dance music, though.
Still, it doesn't make sense to me at all, but maybe that's because I've been into KMFDM since the late 80's. and they've got such an extensive history.

Why not just chalk it up to no pity for the majority and call it a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music