Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,935,428 times

Advertisements

I hark back to something Norman Podhoretz wrote in The Bloody Crossroads: Where Literature and Politics Meet. He wrote in the introduction to that book that he found it was entirely possible to adore an artist's point of view even while deploring the manner in which it was expressed, just as it was possible to deplore an artist's point of view even while adoring the manner in which it was expressed.

I still find that just about the best way to phrase it when it comes to, say, listening to music whose message you would despise or whose messenger holds views you would deplore. The Clash, for one example, had lyrics chock full of meathead Marxism, but their music was phenomenal. Still is. (You could say likewise for Rage Against the Machine, whose music is remarkable even if their point of view would compel you to remember Frank Chodorov's admonition to let Communists [his specific subject, during the 1949 Smith Act trials] and others whose views you deplore rant their heads off---it's their right, which we cannot afford to infringe---while keeping from them the political means of depriving everybody else of the same right.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,243,855 times
I could care less about their personal lives. It has no bearing on their product and whether you should like it or not.

Ask yourselves, do your politics have any bearing on your job? How well or not you do it? Whether or not you make that sale or not? Whether you were hired or not? (skipping over elected officials).

Artists are story tellers. The stories are not always about themselves. They are relating events. Recalling a thread at another site on who was the "I" in the song. It wasn't the artist it was the person who the story was about. The songs are sung in the second and third persons.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,490,793 times
No. For me, music is music and that matters most. If there is a story behind a piece of music, it can enrich it for me, cause it helps me understand where the musician is coming from. But in general, music is bigger than life. Music is about empathy. Music can connect you to other human beings that you would otherwise have nothing in common with. Music is about uniting people, communicating, breaking down walls. Politics is about dividing lines, putting up walls, identifying oneself in terms of others. With that said, the political views of a musician doesn't affect the music for me. The way I see it, music soars in a whole other plane above politics. Music can reach places, emotionally and spiritually, that words can't.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-09-2010 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,363,046 times
For me - performers should perform and then shut up.They perform and entertain for a living. Yes, they have a political opinion. Most of us do. But, expert opinion? I think not. Just because Mainstream Media gives them a bully pulpit does not validate their opinion in the slightest.
Those of you of my generation will remember Walter Cronkite. He was called - "The Most Trusted Man in America". Why? He earned that designation because no one knew his politics. He never tilted a story, hiding his political opinion, as is the practice among many TV anchors today. He stepped out of his neutral role only once. He went to Viet Nam and saw the carnage for himself and spoke out against the war. It was done in a way that was thoughtful and fact-based. It was not a shoot-from-the-lip opinion.
If you agree with the performers, you have every right to spend your money to support them. If you do not agree with them, you have every right to reject them.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,218 times
Performers, librarians, writers, golfers, teachers....doesn't matter what you do for a living. To say something like "For me - performers should perform and then shut up" shows a lack of understanding. They're people just like we are and have their opinions, never claiming to be "experts" that I've heard. I know alot of rednecks that love country music but overlook the fact that Willie Nelson is one of the most liberal performers ever. I know consevative NRA members who love the rocker Ted Nugent, never mind his R rated songs about sex... O'Reily is a performer for sure, and a pervert...once again, overlooked. Humans area weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music