Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,165,912 times

Advertisements

Have you ever stopped "liking" the music of an artist because you found out that they disagree with your own politics, sexual identiy, personal comportment, etc? Why would that make any difference to whether you enjoy listening to their work or not? The classic example would be the Dixie Chicks, but there are many others whose careers have been affected by a public that refused to listen to music that they really liked, or in the opposite case, started to endure music that they didn't like, making the shift for political reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,720,436 times
Carol King comes to mind. I seen her during the Dictator George Bush campaign. Carol took time out of the show to beg us all to vote for that Dictator. I lost a lot of respect for her that day but I still listen to her music when it comes on. I wonder how bad she feels when the useless waste of human flesh won and ran this country to the ground.

Another one comes to mind is that bald headed b**ch Senead O'Conner. Not that I ever listened to that torturous nonsense she blurted out. But what really destroyed her was when she refused to stand for the national anthem. She did lose many of her loyal fans.

I lost a bit of respect for Neil Young who was asked by Coca Cola to make a commercial. The idiot was so upset over this that he made a record mocking on Coke for having the gall to even ask him. It wasn't like they were not going to pay him a few hundred mill for it.

As you said, the Dixie Chicks were on stage saying things like any American with the right to free speech should be able to do. But some got mad when they mocked on the brutal Dictator Bush and his crime family. No one anywhere liked George Bush mind you but when some one mocked on him they got mad. Go figure people out. Brainless idiots. Now look at the pickle this country is in.

Take Mrs California. She spoke truth in public and ruined her career because of it. So we are supposed to lie to get ahead I guess. Hmmmm that sounds exactly like what politicians do.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,591,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Carol King comes to mind. I seen her during the Dictator George Bush campaign. Carol took time out of the show to beg us all to vote for that Dictator.

And then you woke up.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:29 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,536,114 times
I wonder what the OP opines on this topic?

as for me, I figure we are all each entitled to our opinions. another persons differing opinion on any given topic will not diminish my appreciation for the things or qualities I enjoy about that person. however I don't share my political or religious views with anyone out of respect for the feelings of those who are usually mistaken.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,165,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
I wonder what the OP opines on this topic?

The OP opines that if I like the music, I enrich my life by listening to it and if I don't, I don't. The personality or the character of the artists has nothing to do with me sitting back with my eyes closed and letting the beauty of the work flow over me.

Art is art, and good art by a nutty artist is still good art.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 AM

745 posts, read 1,440,640 times
Well.... as a Conservative, you would not have too many options if you stopped following Entertainers based on their Politics. I loathe Tina Fey's politics for example, but her show 30 Rock is great... so I watch.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,411,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The OP opines that if I like the music, I enrich my life by listening to it and if I don't, I don't. The personality or the character of the artists has nothing to do with me sitting back with my eyes closed and letting the beauty of the work flow over me.

Well, isn't this the way anybody with any sense would answer this question?

I know it's not always true, (take Dixie Chicks' example), but mostly I have no idea what the politics of a musician I like is. When I have known, when I have disagreed with their politics, I kind of shake my head and say, huh? And then I put on one of their tracks and I forget it.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,536,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

atta boy.. er person!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,657,432 times
Not really. I even like songs that have a message that I think is complete b***s***. For example, I like Rage Against the Machine but think their message is crap.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,720,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
And then you woke up.
Your comment makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music