Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:23 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Mark S., you are exactly right. Today's so called Country is only a shell of its former self. Anyone who wants to hear real Country from the past several decades should visit wsmonline.com.
I am delighted to agree with you Ridgerunner. I have only been listening to wsmonline for a short while but I agree that it is a true country music station and I now listen to it most every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
So what is the point of your topic Terrpin, simply to attack hip-hop, rap and black culture by referring to those genres of music as "ghetto" and "smoking on weed". As you already know, hip-hop, rap and R&B is enjoyed by white people, black people, Asian people (like you), as well as people internationally.

If you like country music fine, I'm happy for you keep listening to it. But stop degrading other genres of music and individuals because prefer music that is different from what you prefer. Get it through your head...Everybody is not going to like country music just because you like it.

I've seen other posts of yours along similar lines as this and have come to the conclusion that you are nothing but an Asian racist who has nothing better to do but post inciteful messages, particular towards black people.
Dorado, I really don't appreciate your baseless accusations of racism toward me. Where have I ever posted about black people? I assume its the post about Prince George's COunty, Maryland? I said that place is ghetto, but I never mentioned race. I said there were ghetto people and illegal aliens there, that's all. I know the difference between black and ghetto and between Hispanic and illegal.

I didn't black people all "pimp hoes". I said that a lot of rap music is about these subjects, such as prostitutes, drugs, killing, gang warfare, cop killing, etc. And I didn't say against other "black" styles like jazz, blues, gospel, R&B, etc. I am actually a big fan of Whitney Houston and Vanessa Williams's music, same with Stevie Wonder.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Mark S., you are exactly right. Today's so called Country is only a shell of its former self. Anyone who wants to hear real Country from the past several decades should visit wsmonline.com.
Ridgerunner, I do appreciate old country but I was just saying that new country is more reflective of America today, both the sound, the themes, and the lyrics.

Do you think Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry, Brooks and Dunn and Alan Jackson are more true to country's roots?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Do you think Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry, Brooks and Dunn and Alan Jackson are more true to country's roots?
A thousand times no. Toby Keith actually makes me want to hurt small animals. And I love animals.

But hey, to each his own.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're killing me, Terrapin.

To each his own, I guess, but I don't know of a single country singer today who could hold a candle to Willie, Waylon, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams Sr., Patsy Cline, and Loretta Lynn. And Johnny Cash...fuhged about it.
I'd have to add Don Williams and Kris Krostofferson. Kristofferson is one of my favorite writers and writes I think from a purely American point of view.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Blues....most of the other music is derived from that.
Gotta agree with that, the Blues certainly fathered Rock 'N Roll.

I was in a Chicago Blues club with some friends years ago, they ask me what I was grinning about, I told them it may have been the most purely Anerican experience I'd had in a long time.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,584 times
I agree with Ridgerunner. I have recently been re-introduced to real country music by an amazing person with an extensive knowledge of it and was introduced to wsmonline.com. I have since discovered a new appreciation for traditional country music Although I still like New Country music it has morphed into a completely different genre. Real country music has more soul.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Ridgerunner, I do appreciate old country but I was just saying that new country is more reflective of America today, both the sound, the themes, and the lyrics.

Alan Jackson wins by a landslide.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 PM

80 posts, read 278,037 times
Um, hello...BLUES??? The only TRUE Ameircan musical genre!

Last edited by tomwhite56; 06-27-2007 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwhite56 View Post
Um, hello...BLUES??? The only TRUE Ameircan musical genre!
Blues is a traditional American genre, as is jazz and bluegrass....but I mean country as the most all-American genre TODAY as it most reflects who we are today, how most people can identity with the lyrics because how the subject matter is always about everyday life. If someone from another country were to try to understand who we are based on part of pop culture, contemporary country would definitely be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music