Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,886,790 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.... have any of you been to that Atalaya arts festival before? Trying to decide whether to make the 4 hour drive down. I like juried art festivals or at least those with stuff not bought from china and passed off as artisan made. Also, any scoop on the food? Thanks for the 411.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,855,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Hey guys.... have any of you been to that Atalaya arts festival before?
Hey Tina, we enjoy it and usually end up going every year. We didn't make it over today, but will probably get there sometime over the weekend. The artists change from year to year, so you never quite know who will be there. As with any show, quality varies from artist to artist, but some of it blows me away with their abilities, particularly the painters and the photgraphers. A little too much jewelry for my taste, and IMO some of it borders on tacky, but that's a minor complaint. Being accepted to display has become very competitive. A number of years ago, my wife met Susan Painter there, and I'd hate to admit what we have spent on her dishes since then. Unfortunately, she hasn't participated the last several years, and won't be there this year.

The food is nothing to get excited about. Several of the local restaurants set up booths so it's a good place to grab a quick bite and maybe try a few different things, but it's not the highlight of the event.

If you're looking for an excuse to head to the beach, this festival is as good as any, but I'm not sure I'd drive 4 hours just to see it. Just my $0.02.....

Old 09-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks, PD. You are always so helpful to me.....appreciate it bunches! The system allowed me to rep you this time....it's been a while since I've been able to send some appreciation your way. BTW...in your specific opinion, where can I find the best oysters on the half shell? In the mood for oysters and wine to go with the art outing.....

Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,690,684 times
Thumbs down I say, no.....

I just got home from spending the afternoon there and I would not recommend going, especially considering your 4 hour drive. It is definitely not China imports, etc. but I had to wonder who, exactly, was on the jury that picked these people. Most of the ceramics were mass produced and not hand-thrown, individual pieces. (My brother is a ceramics professor at a university, so I have some knowledge about this even though I am not an artist.)

If you are into beaded jewelry, there was a lot of that. I saw a lot of sea shells mixed with silver and very expensively priced. If you like photographs that are then "printed" onto a canvas to look like an oil painting, there was some of that.

Also, some refrigerator magnets that were pictures sealed under some kind of plastic coating.......(how this is "fine art" I am still wondering.....)

To be fair, there were some very talented artists there, but they were few and far between and very overpriced IMO.

Oh, yes, and several "artists" that showcased their painted gourds and other novelty type items.

As far as the food: Drunken Jack's, which I happen to like, had a big area of food. My friend bought a plate of fried oysters that she said were "tasteless" and looked disgusting. They also had Chick-Fil-A and hotdogs. I was hungry, but not starving, so I didn't eat.

If you make the drive and decide to go, make sure you have a backup plan for other things to do, which shouldn't be difficult, since we do have a perfect paradise here. You might want to spend some time at the state park - on the beach or bird watching, instead of shopping for overpriced and/or novelty items in Atalaya......

Sorry, but I can't recommend an oyster place, because although I love an oyster roast, I don't eat them on the half-shell. And just so you know, they are not in season now because of the very warm waters, so be careful if you do get some. I just read an article about this in the paper the other day. Here's a link to it: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/09/24...d-by-heat.html

Don't mean to be negative in my answer, but since you asked for opinions....this is mine!

Last edited by vrexy; 09-24-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Hey Vrexy....Rep to you, too. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I value your opinion as I have read many of your comments since joining the forum. That's what I was afraid of....... Don't worry about being "negative". I don't start many threads but when I do, I am looking for honest input and perspective. I love the Garden City/Murrels Inlet area. I'm hoping that at some point a "real" artists' enclave will develop.....something with a Laguna-beach type vibe. For now, I guess I'll take a pass and hit another festival in the Upstate this weekend. Oh, and I like Drunken Jacks, too! Mucho rep for warning be about the oysters!!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,855,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
where can I find the best oysters on the half shell?
Thank you Tina. I dearly love raw oysters, but don't eat them a lot around here. The local oysters have a delicious taste but they're small and usually harvested and served in clumps, making them more conducive to oyster roasts. Then there's this small issue of our local water quality. Most of the oysters served around here on the 1/2 shell are irradiated out of the Gulf. We'll eat them several times during the winter at a local restaurant, but go there mainly because we like the folks who run it and know they do a good job with their inventory. I'm sure there are better choices, but I just don't know them.

We're heading over to the Festival in a little while, sorry we'll miss ya'. Don't have any disagreements with Vrexy's comments, but we always find plenty to enjoy over there.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Default Some pictures from the festival

I took some pictures when I was at the Atalaya festival, but didn't have a chance to post them the other day. I'll do it now and you can see for yourself what it is like. I posted some of the good and a lot of what I thought was kind of tacky......The kind of things that made me wonder about who was on the jury. Refrigerator magnets, ceramic tooth brush holders, fan-pull chains, and photographs morphed onto canvas to look like oil paintings? Really!!!!

And as I said before, in all fairness, there were some really outstanding artists there, but nothing that would warrant a 4 hour drive.

Not that you asked for suggestions, but Asheville, NC has a large and talented artistic community, so I hear. I have not been there, but have heard wonderful things about it, both from my brother and other artists whose opinions I trust.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08803.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08805.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08809.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08810.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08811.jpg  

Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08812.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08813.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08814.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08815.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08816.jpg  

Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08817.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08820.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08822.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08825.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08826.jpg  

Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08828.jpg  

Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Default A few more pictures..........

I found some more pictures, so thought I'd share. I do like that wood table!
Attached Thumbnails
Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08797.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08798.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08799.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08800.jpg   Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08801.jpg  

Is Atalaya Festival worth the drive?-dsc08802.jpg  

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks, Vrex. Yes, I go to Asheville at least once a year. It is a beautiful area and it does feature lots of the kind of art that I enjoy. I really appreciate your taking the time to post the photos. Hopefully Atalaya will continue to evolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area